Black box/fuel injection/flat spot

persuader590

Registered
I own a 99' busa that started having what I would call a fuel injection problem in 2002. It runs like it has bad gas at start up (3 cylinders, sputters and pops) and then at 3000 RPM until 7000 RPM. Took it to a Suzuki dealer/service center in August 2002 where they kept the bike until september not being able to find solution to the problem. After I suggested the black box the service center installed a new one charged me $1200.00 and said problem fixed. The bike ran like new through the end of the year November(i live in vermont) but started having the same problem again in June of the following year. The only mods are a Powercommander II and a Yoshi exhaust. I dare not bring it back to the knuckle heads at the dealership since I think the problem more than the black box. The bike did have the recall completed on it.

That's horrible... sorry to hear it. Maybe another dealer might help? I used to work for Suzuki, and if you call American Suzuki directly with a complaint about the dealer, they might be able to help. They paid for a rebuild of my old 1994 RF900's transmission, but only after I whined.:O

Yeah, it does suck. I have thought about going to another dealer but thought I would post my problem here to see if someone has had the same problem first. I think it might have something to do with the O2 sensor. Thanks

Try American Suzuki and see what they say. Customer satisfaction is important to them.

The dealership gave me so much crap about having a powercommander and said it was the cause of all my problems. I believe they were told this by American Suzuki, unless something has changed since then I really don't know who to trust. Not to mention Suzuki would give the dealer a black box just to check if it was the problem, they sold it to the dealer who in return sold it to me stating it was the problem. Whenever I mentioned that I thought the black box may be bad I was told that they were pretty much bulletproof.....I will try again though thanks.

It could also be a problem with the wiring harness. There are a few other board members who have had similar issues that have been traced back to bad electrical connections in the wire harness connectors. Check to see that all the connections are clean and tight. Also make sure everything is secure and can't vibrate loose. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, that's the best info I have had yet. This problem has been a real pain, I am hoping not to spend another $1200.00 again. I love my bike and hate the fact that there is something wrong that is not an easy fix.

Have you thought about checking a bike yard (junk/recycle) to get another black box to see if that changes anything? There are some listed in the back of the major motorcycle mags. Also, check the electrical system. Something might be putting out too much or too little voltage, slowly frying the ECU over time.

I have thought about getting another black box from a junk yard. I will say this, when I received the new one from the dealer the bike ran great. I just wanted to know why or what was killing the black box. Both times before the bike started acting funky I rode hard over a mountain range at semi-high altitude, that is why I was thinking it had something to do with the O2 sensor. It runs so crapy I don't ride, can't crank huge wheelies, sounds real bad around town, like I'm running water in my gas.

It seems like it is running rich yet no drop in gas milage. If it has no O2 sensor which I thought it did just not in the exhaust how does it regulate fuel/air mixture? Thanks

Do you have any external electrical accessories? Heated vest, grips, MP3 player etc? It really sounds like the immediate problem is the ECU (Black box), and replacing it will resolve the problem, but something else is damaging the ECU. I'm not a mechanic, but it does seem to make sense to me. Pinched/clogged fuel lines or bad engine mapping will do it too, but neither would have been helped by the introduction of the new ECU as it did before.

I do not have any electronic extras with the exception of my powercommander. I had thought that it may have been the problem because of what Suzuki had told me so while it was in the shop I bought another powercommander. Also the bike ran the same with or without the powercommander hooked up. Maybe a mouse got into the wiring harness or chewed on some wires, it is VT and you do have to put your bike up for at least 3 months in the winter. I stored it in a garage covered but you never no. I think I'll have the electrical checked before I buy another ECU to avoid the same thing happening again.

Okay, here goes!!! I have a 99 busa, that was cutting out at high speeds, when the throttle was let off, so I take to the suzuki dealership, and they tell me that my injectors, sparkplugs, internal fuel pump filter, and throttle position sensor are all bad.  ( No codes stating this, but I will proceed)  So I have them replace all of this, tech rides the bike, and the bike still cuts-off.  To which they tell me that it needs to be remapped for my custom yosh pipe (I say okay, re-map the damn thing, and call me when it's done).  Three weeks later, they tell me that they have run the vin number, and the bike has a recall on the inner fuel tank filter; Now, they replace this under warranty, call me to pick it up, and when I get home, gas starts pouring from under my bike......   I run water over the bike hoping that It doesn't catch fire.  Once I get this done, I take the tank off, to see that the jackasses at the dealership forgot to put the gas clamp back on - NOW after saying all this, beware of the people who work on your bike.  In closing MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![shadow=]WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS WORLD[/shadow]

I'm helping a friend with his 99 Busa and it is doing the same thing. We have replaced both inner tank filter and pump filter. Along with one injector. It helped some but it seems to have an intermittant timing problem It runs good for a little bit and then starts missing. I was thinking about unpluging the ECM and leaving it unhooked all night to see if that would do anything. I've been banging my head on this one.

Yep, try the ECU. I actually did this as well and yes it did run better for about two days then back to the same lame water in the gas, sputtering crap. I decribe it as water in the gas because I used to own a 87' GSXR 1100 that I had flat slides on and many extras and whenever I got caught in a downpour of rain the K&N filters would suck in water and the bike would run like this until I drained the floats. Man I wish this was the same problem.
Anyway I unhooked the ECU again and ran the bike with out the powercommander and in two days it ran like crap again. Let me know if you find out the problem.

I'll tell you tomorrow, is there a problem with a certain ECU? The dealer said it was the same unit that is on the GSXR 1000 but he said a number of thing that were not true as well.

the box for the 1000 is different from the busa. you probably fried that box because your bike has 300 more cc then the 1000. Thats like tryin to put a VW bug motor into a porch 911.
AAAssjani.gif

<!--EDIT|Romie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091226591 -->

Romie.. are you sure about that. Many parts are exchangable between bikes made by the same manufacturer, and in some case, from multiple makers like the joint ventures between Suzuki and Kawasaki now (nothing sportbike though). They might share the same ECU, unless you know for a fact it's different.

Back