Bikes getting too fast?

The Big Red One

Registered
I love speed, but I've noticed with the Busa its kinda hard to actaully run her through the gears and get that rush without either running out of room, or getting tickets. Seems like I spend more of my time chugging around at a mere fraction of what the bike can do cause there's nowhere to really open her up. Unless your out in the sticks you always gotta be looking over your shoulder cause one flick of the wrist and traffic (and your bank account) reverses, and your going stoopid speeds. Impulse twists are def outta the question. The other bikes I've owned we're slow enough that you could flog them without reaching escape velocity.

So sometimes does faster mean less fun? I know faster means wayy more concentration....especially in the twisties
wow.gif
Its hard to just cruise the Busa when you have this kinda power constantly begging to be released. This is quite the addiction...........

rant.gif

I read an intresting article the other day while looking through a stack of mags I had sitting on the counter I havent yet had a chance to read. I believe it was in Sportrider, and they compared several bikes - some this years model, and the other were models of about 3 years ago of the same bike.

Now, there is no denying that the current bikes are awesome, but the reviewers made a few intresting comments. First off, for the street the reviewers would opt for the older bike for street use rather than the current version. When comparing the last 3 generations of the Yamaha R6, the previous (Not current) generation model had much more usable low end torque for the street than the current version. The older seat was much more comfortable, where the current version was compared to something like a board with some cloth on it.

Seems like the current generation bikes make ample HP, and torque, but at such a high RPM that its really not useable on the street. Infact they said the current R6 was more like a 125cc DirtBike on the street compared to the previous generation (I believe 99 to 03 year) R6.

I guess its not that bikes are getting too fast, but I think the big 4 are making their current bikes to suit the track and not the street. People think because something is new, its the best...but the best for what...the street...the track?

Now, as I see it, this is why they havent changed the Busa in so many years. The Busa is the Ultimate - Perfect bike for the street. It does everything well, and has gobs of down low torque us street riders love to exploit. Look at the new ZX-14...great bike, but the Power-band doesn't really kick in until 6K rpm...lets face it, for the street 6K is just a little high to start tapping into the power. And lets not even get into the 600's or 1K's....lots of power, but there again at such high RPM's its really not useable on the street unless you have a death wish or just continually lucky.

The Busa is the Ultimate street bike for sport bike riders, lots of low end torque, gobs of Hp for the top end, all day comfort for rider and passenger, and built like a tank (Pardon the pun on the weight...lol). Is the Busa too Fast for the street, well I guess that depends on your right wrist and your ability to control your impulses to play Johnny or Jenny Rocket in traffic. The Busa is just like a Bullet, it won't go off unless the user pulls the trigger.

rant.gif

rant.gif

No matter how good something is, there is always some genius that will find a reason to complain. The Busa is a great street bike that just happens to be extremely fast.

So quit whining.

Its like guns and condoms. Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
biggrin.gif

I have an 06 Gixxer 600 and I'd say you have to be crazy to think it doesn't have enough bottom end.

What's so hard about downshifting?

I live in the northern Virginia area. Lot's and lot's of traffic around here. It's tough to find a straight stretch anywhere without running up on traffic or cops. But even though I haven't been able to pin the speed-o, I sure wouldn't consider giving 'er up! The Busa rocks!
bowdown.gif

(Haelo @ Oct. 26 2006,08:22) I have an 06 Gixxer 600 and I'd say you have to be crazy to think it doesn't have enough bottom end.

Sport Rider Oct 2006, pg. 42 - Get Real Five middleweights that make sense in the everyday world.

"This Year's 600s Sure Are Sexy, Huh? Tripple-Digit Horsepower, Dry Weight Less Than 400 Pounds, Sick Racetrack Performance...What's Not to Like?"

"A lot, in fact: Take those incredible middleweight thoroughbreds away from the racetrack and they can be a literal pain in the butt, with pretzel ergos and midrange power as lathargic as a freelance tester when it comes time to load up the truck. Take one for a three-day, 1000-mile weekend jaunt and you'll see exactly what we mean. That being the case, let us draw your attention to the five bikes gathered here. Motorcycles that do, well, what motorcycles are supposed to do. Sure, they may not be all sultry and seductive like the cutting-edge middleweights, but each of these bikes packs more real-world performance into one fork tube than any of those front-line 600s could muster."

Now SportRider has their opinion, just as you have yours, however when X-MotoGP riders, and several riders with 20+ years of riding experience agree on the above text, well forget their opinions...just look at the mag to see the dyno results....really a good read, I think its a 10+ page article. Again, everyone has their opinion, but my opinion after being on a newer 600 is they are great for the track, but stink on th street...I guess it all comes down to what you think performance is...hey lots of people ride scooters and are completely satisfied with the performance, there again some of these people should never graduate to anything bigger than a Zuma.

I won't admit where I've been with my '06, but I worry more about deer than traffic or cops. I've also hit some wild bumps at speed on interstates. Heck of a bike. I know I haven't gone all the way with her yet.

(Spigga @ Oct. 26 2006,04:41) Its like guns and condoms. Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
biggrin.gif
My thoughts exactly... But I flog mine everytime I ride.. Did several high speed runs today. Pushed up to an indicated 200mph this morning on the way north to Visoko...
I would definitely prefer to ride my Rune in metropolitan areas because well....
Chics dig it!!!!

(Haelo @ Oct. 26 2006,08:22) I have an 06 Gixxer 600 and I'd say you have to be crazy to think it doesn't have enough bottom end.

600 cc bikes have no bottom end. Crack the throttle wide open in first, about 5 mph, and the bike does nothing until 7-8k. Do that on a big bore and see what happens.........
They have like 45lbs/ft of tq........

(Mr Brown @ Oct. 26 2006,19:39) 600 cc bikes have no bottom end. Crack the throttle wide open in first, about 5 mph, and the bike does nothing until 7-8k. Do that on a big bore and see what happens.........
They have like 45lbs/ft of tq........
Finally, the voice of reason chimes in
wink.gif

Err...Did I just say Mr.Brown was the voice of reason...lol
zzwhip.gif

(Valium @ Oct. 26 2006,00:49) Look at the new ZX-14...great bike, but the Power-band doesn't really kick in until 6K rpm...lets face it, for the street 6K is just a little high to start tapping into the power.
Removing the Restrictive Flies on the bike or installing ivans Tre for it has changed the behavior bigtime for the bike and rider. even former busa riders.
tounge.gif

But i agree the most cutting edge isn't always best. I love the big bore flagships like the Blackbird, Hayabusa, Zx-12 and 14. They won't carve curves like 600's or literbikes but are fun to corner hard just as well. And it's better when you scare some average riders on such bikes with your "Tank" right on their arse on thier favored environment. I'll admit the literbikes may be almost as fast as the big bikes to 180mph, but which is more stable and easier to ride at those speeds? Weight and wheelbase = win.

The top speed is irrelevant to me, BUT the POWER  
SHOCKED.gif
and gas mileage is unbelieveable  
bowdown.gif

To be able to pass anytime, or just cruise at 80 mph and get 45 mph is just magic to me  
jump9.gif

Bikes will never, EVER get to be too fast.

People my age will continue to get stupider, and more reckless, however. And I say good riddance, and take out the kid in the fart-canned Civic if you can.

I'm a bad person, aren't I?
firedevil.gif

Back