Bikes, Blues & BBQ....

moondog

Donating Member
Registered
I'm going to say that it was 50 to 1. Cruisers to sport bikes. After four days and probable permenent hearing damage, I'm still in one piece, busa undamaged. They are saying the event broke records for attendance, somewhere around 250,000 people and possible 90,000 bikes. I now understand why the local shops are totally geared towards cruisers, the sport bike turnout was pitiful and the vendors at the event had virtually no sport bike gear. The manufacturers brought NOT ONE 2005 (or any) sport bike. We are truly a tiny part of the motorcycling world. I am happy to report...at the dyno drags the busa's kicked ass and I mean everybody's!! No one came close to the numbers posted by the king (the machine is not real world by any stretch of the imagination). The zx10's could not launch on the dyno, geared too high in first gear? They were consantly killing the motors. There was a grudge match between a modified Harley of some sort and a totally stock busa, guys were friends, the Harley ran an 11.27 @ 121, stock busa 9.95 @ 146. (as best as I remember. jaggermistered up) As a final note: the local law enforcement reported less trouble for the entire four day event than on ONE home football game day!!! With the sweet smell of BBQ still hanging in the air and the sound of un-muffuled v-twins still ringing in my ears it's back to the real Monday morning world.......gotta get me one of them choppers. Or not.....

Us sport bike guys have to do something about this... Still wish I could.ve gone though...
blush.gif

I'm thinking that Daytona would be a little more geared for sport bikes but most rallies like this one attract the harleys and cruiser crowd. This is going to turn into another Sturgis type event and really started five years ago as a 50-50 mix. There are so many local sport bikes here because of the roads but folks we met were from every corner of the states... one old boy I met came down from Seattle on a 60's Harley that had to have 200k on it. I'm pretty sure he actually used the bed roll tied to the front with twine....

If you can swing it, do both! I've got the 'Busa and a Yamaha Road Star Warrior. The two are night and day, but each has it's purpose. I wouldn't give up either.:)

I'm thinking that Daytona would be a little more geared for sport bikes but most rallies like this one attract the harleys and cruiser crowd.
Daytona is no different. I live in the area and,trust me, it's mostly Harleys and the like that turn up for the festivities. It's funny because the races during bike week are doninated mostly metric sport bikes bikes.

Go figure.
rock.gif

Back