Biker Boyz

I just like the fact that motorcycling in general is getting some props. There is hundreds of murder movies, thousands of cop movies, and even a ton of chick flix.

But we as motorcyclist rarely get our turn to shine. So whether it is a great movie or if it sucks whether it only portrays one ethnicity or all of them it may help lead us to greater things in the future. so I will go see it and probably love it even if it is corny and unrealistic...

bob

I agree with you all. I was just about as careful at 24 as I am now. It maturity not age...just that very often there is a correlation between the two. In fact a lot of people here do things that I would never do. Fortunately, I believe that they at least have skill and experience.

I still say that the clowns (of any ages) won't like it here. They will quickly migrate to other sites where anything goes. But I bet that the movie will also bring us some good guys. \

I also can't wait to see it.

Thinker

Kid Rock?! ughhhh there goes the neighborhood.

devil.gif

Just my .02.
After the movie the fast and the furious didn't all the posers go and buy a rice rocket put all kinds of mods on it then royaly drive it into a tree cause they didn't know how to drive it like the guys on "TV' did. Arn't you guys concerned that young kids and or squids may kill themselves on their badass turboed Busa cause the guys on tv made it look sooooo easy to ride?
I am.
rock.gif

But I still wanna see the movie.

Just my .02.
After the movie the fast and the furious didn't all the posers go and buy a rice rocket put all kinds of mods on it then royaly drive it into a tree cause they didn't know how to drive it like the guys on "TV' did. Arn't you guys concerned that young kids and or squids may kill themselves on their badass turboed Busa cause the guys on tv made it look sooooo easy to ride?
I am.  
rock.gif

But I still wanna see the movie.
This is a free country and as the old saying goes
" would you jump off the bridge just cause your friend did it first"
If they all go buy a Busa it will mean cheap parts available and may spark Suzuki to actually give the Busa some sprucing up.

There are already a bunch of guys, both experienced and non experienced doing stupid stuff on bikes. That won't change. And we can't control it. All we can do is give good advice when asked. If we come on to strong and arrogant, you can be sure that these newbies will most certainly do the opposite.

Thinker

Thinker is definitly right. I like to show them the 3 large scars on my knee and explain the 7.5 hours of surgery for riding a wheelie. All be it, the most perfect wheelie I'd ever been in. Up untill it skipped out of gear....

Any way, the best we can hope for is to pass on the knowelege we have to the next generation of riders.

A couple of months back 2 of the local TV stations did reports on the local stunters. St. Louis Extremes, I think. (They do their stunting on the interstate, in traffic, while making videos.) In turn, I E-mailed both stations. Explaining my dissapointment on their reporting.

Here is what I sent:

To whom it may concern,

I don't appreciate the interviews on the "motorcycle daredevils". These people shed a seriously negetive light on all sport bike riders. I ride the fastest production motorcycle made. I also don't run down the highways doing stunts. I may exceede the speed limit on deserted roads or where no other vehicles are around. I am no saint by any means, but I do keep my head out of my but, and I don't do it on crowded highways. What you have done makes us all (sportbike riders) targets. There is enough negetive sterotyping associated with sportbikes. We have to watch our every move in traffic to make sure someone dosen't run us over or off of the road. If they aren't rubbernecking, they are a Harley rider just trying to be ignorant.

There are several ride orientated groups in the St. Louis area but I didn't see any publicity on them. Bikers for Babbies barely got a second look this year. Gateway International Raceway holds track days for motorcycles several times a year and I saw nothing on the news about that either.

Now I will have to be even more careful due to the recent news brodcasts. Having to watch motorists, looking at me or my bike, waiting for me to do something stupid.

Thank you,

Steven Long

Here is their reply:

dear Steven. good for you!
law enforcement and other motorists would appreciate the common sense you demonstrate by restraining from highway acrobatics. the purpose of our report was to inform our viewers about these daredevils. in no way was it meant to cast dispersions on sensible riders like yourself.

thanks for your message.
leisa zigman
reporter
ksdk-tv

All we can do is hope for the best.

Happy new year all,

Steve

so what do you intend to write the directors, producers, and actors of the Biker Boyz movie? I can understand you needing to tell the tv station they did not help us(riders) out, but where does it end? I definitely share your feelings, but nothing we say will show them that just because we have fast agile bikes, that we don't do those things. Just like back in the 60's when muscle cars got easy to own, had your street draggers that got just about anybody with a muscle car into trouble. It's the way it goes.

Steve, I do think you did the right thing. If nobody had written to that station to tell them the story was biased, who knows what would have come next. Maybe a sequel to the story? Maybe you could be the sequel... the good-natured sportbike rider!!! That should be your next letter..
biggrin.gif

Boy is the age bracket on this board obvious LOL You guys did it when you where young and no one could tell you different . I am not saying its right but I have given up preachin . Let them ask I still think a Busa is as good a first bike as any other they will all do well into the triple digits the Busa doesnt wheelie as easy as some of the others . Depends on you attitude .  But you can get killed as easy on a GSXR 600 as you can a Busa . Busa just has higher top speed by 25 Mph maybe
I agree with you for the most part but if someone ask me if the Busa is a good first bike I would still have to say I don't think so. You are right that you can get killed on a 600 just as easy as on a 1300. It's just that the Busa will get you there faster. I think it just has to much power for a first bike. Just like I can't beleave that my first car was a Firebird with a 350 under the hood. If I ever have kids I'm not sure they would get a V8 powered car for their first one. It's just to easy to get cocky. I just think it is better to learn on something a little slower and less powerful. But again you're right it does totally depend on your attitude. If you get stupid it doesn't really matter what you are on or in it's going to hurt either way.

The difference between 'us' and 'them' is that we have already done stupid stuff and managed to survive (or at least our minds were open enough to be able to learn from others that did), hence our experience. Put any of us in their place (sans experience) and I doubt we would be no different.

idea.gif

As for myself, I know I would not be caught dead today doing the stuff I did years ago since I know I was almost caught dead doing those deeds in the first place.
laugh.gif

All we can do is set the example by the way we ride. I don't go fast when splitting the lane, or do wheelies from stoplights, or burnouts at the gas station.

Cache,

That wasn't my point. St. Louis isn't that big of a city. There are 2 or 3 of these groups localy. I have been run off of the road a couple of times. Had an individual try and run us over at a stop sign. He pulled up beside me and 4 inches off of the rear tire of the person I was riding with. Right in front of the local police station. The next week he tried to go head on with me on the 4 lane road. He couldn't have known it was me. I was on a different bike (929 the first time and FZ1 the second). There are enough idiot drivers localy. Now I'm not just a target, I'm someone that someone elese feels they should make an example of. A quarter of the people localy will see the movie, but 3/4 of them watch the news.

Movies are fiction (most of them), but news is real. Most people realize this. Do you?

Movies are fiction (most of them), but news is real. Most people realize this. Do you? [/QUOTE]

Tree, just as you proved to me in your first post on this thread, the NEWS is crap. Real? Only as real as they want you to see fit. You are just one of the few to be smart enough to call their bluff.
hmmm.gif

Cache,

Sorry. I get a little upset with the media these days. I guess I was just blowing off a little steam. Not ment to be directed at you.

After Desert Storm, I found a great distaste for the news. I had only been out for about 15 months. As an ex-infantry / mortars, I was enraged to see news teams any where near our troops. Espically when on maneuvers, or giving base camp locations. Granted any good intell already knows these things but it doesn't need to be broadcasted. If I were there, and they were right next to me, they would not have come back. With the exceptions of the pine boxes.

None of them want to be responsible for thier actions.

As far as movies goes. I love that stuff. I even like watching the stunting videos.

Later,

Steve

I am a Gulf-War Vet. Time spent here in the States, but everyone felt the impact.

Off-topic here, but I'm a big Michael Keaton fan(especially after Beetlejuice),

Has anybody else here seen the HBO movie "Live From Baghdad"?  Thoughts??

BusachicOh well maybe I thought we could make a difference. [/QUOTE]

Don't underestimate the power in each of us, and the combined influence of a board like this. When the board rush occurs, we should behave as normal, and you never know how discussions like this affect people. Purhaps just one newbie will read something, and make a decision that might save his life.

We can make a difference. "It's a Wonderful Life!"

Thinker

Yes Yes Yes A Movie..Thinkers62..I apreciate your comment's alot..WE here on the board..most of us..have riddin' way's we should not have..."Can you say----Alot of us were Lucky"
Now that we survived...We must do our best to send the correct message..to the Newbies....Won't be easy...
I rode mine the otherday..all i could say when i got back...
OMIGOD....Yep a very easy to die on Motorcycle..
A very big Thank you to Suzuki....
I think something about CC's and licenseing is the answer..Dammit..don't want some Cager to run me off the road cause i'm on a sportbike..150,000 mile and counting on two wheels..Still in awe everytime i get on the thing
AAAssjani.gif

Hopefully we can make a differance..

Guys remember what it was like to dream? Remember dreaming about your busa before you got it in your hands? I do.... Yep there is no way around it were going to get a ton of young dreamers in here. For most of them they will be only dreaming because they will not have the cash for the bike or insurance. A few will have the cash and will be able to buy that dream. A few will be buying a nightmare, due to crashing or getting jamed up from getting stupid on the road. Were going to have to deal with them and should try to point them in the right direction.

Kudos for predicting the fallout of this movie, and pre-discussing how we should handle it.

I love you guys but we are acting a bit high and mighty here. Yes, most of us are older (average age 35), most of us are experienced, and we have knowledge. This movie will idealize riding, and bring more attention to the Busa. In itself, that is a good thing. Unfortunately, it might encourage the immature and the inexperienced to do stupid things. To me, it will be our unfortunate responsibility to lead by example rather than pound these guys into the dirt. When you were young, what did you do when older people told you not to do something? THINK ABOUT IT! Think about how we will have the ability to influence people's lives. We may not have asked for such resposibility, but here it is.

I predict that we will get a ton of people coming to the board, as they will to all the Busa boards. If we stay true to the spirit of the site, the idiots will be bored and quickly fade away to other "idiot friendly" sites, and the ones with maturity will hang out here, which is a good thing. We just need to be patient, honest, and give the guys a chance to benefit from our considerable experience and knowledge. Our worst mistake will be to have verbal wars with these guys.

Thinker

[/QUOTE]
Thinker is on the money in my book

Back