Bike wont turn on. Ideas??

Pat Dietrich

Registered
Went to start bike today. And on 2nd hit of the button everything shut down. No power at all. Only the clock works. I checked all the fuses including the main 30a fuse under tail and all are intact. Going to take that one back out and replace with spare anyway cause nothing works at all. Any clue on this one??:banghead:

With the little info you gave, I'd suspect the battery. If the main fuse was out, I am guessing the clock wouldn't work.

Battery?? The bike turned over fine. Then stalled like usuall after 2 secs. Hit starter again and it just blacked out like the main had blown. This I've never seen happen unless it was a fuse but they were all ok.

Isnt there a main relay near the battery? I am not sure on this one though. What year bike are we talking about?

Pat - there have been a few posts about the Gen2 having a problem with the stator.

2009 Busa.

No anything. No power except the clock. I think there was a click when it all went black like a popped fuse or relay or something but it was a faint sound and happened real quick like so I could be wrong there.
Can a relay go bad and cause this and how would I know what to check and how to check it?? Just glad this happened in my garage and not out on the road somewhere. This is scary to me now to have an undependable bike. Need to know what caused this so I can fix whatever it is.
Can a battery lose all power like that all od a sudden? Never heard of this.
Rechecked main fuse and its fine. Rechecked fuses under left front panel. 6 small ones and 1 15a bigger fuse. All ok. Is there something fuse wise I'm missing??

measure the battery voltage. Sounds like an overload blew the main fuse. Since your clock is still working makes it a bit odd though. A Relay going bad can happen but there isn't one that would cause a complete failure except the clock. This makes me believe it's battery voltage related. And you checked the kill button and other safety switches kickstand, gear, etc...

hmmm just thought of somethign else... isn't the key chipped? Could this be a security issue?

Last edited:
Unbelievable. Un did battery for about 5 mins. Hooked it back up and still nothing. Had factory Battery up stairs so went and got it for whatever reason, hooked it up and I cant believe everything came to life and it started. WTH??????? How does a battery work and 2 secs later totally loses all power where the headlights wont even turn on??

So IG is the winner here. I was down 6-8hp last time I dynoed 2weeks ago. Could this have anything to do with that??

Thanks everyone so much for coming to my rescue with ideas. I dont understand this butI do know I'm getting a new battery. This battery is 3 months old. I keep a tender on it also. This bike is a 1441 with 385 cams. Its starts relatively easy. Should I chek charging system?? Also, for 3 months stock battery has been in attic with no tender or anything. And started bike perfectly fine. Thats pretty cool. Thought itd be dead actually:thumbsup:

The battery doesn't need to be completely dead for the bike not to function. The clock uses so little power that it could probably still function with 8v or so.

Low battery voltage on a dyno run can cause hp drop.

The battery doesn't need to be completely dead for the bike not to function. The clock uses so little power that it could probably still function with 8v or so.

Low battery voltage on a dyno run can cause hp drop.

I ride the bike everyday. Its never turned over slow or any other signs of battery going dead. But this is my 1st dead battery on a bike so guess I better check a few things out and charging system being one of them.Maybe give the stock battery a chance with this 1441 and see how it does??

I ride the bike everyday. Its never turned over slow or any other signs of battery going dead. But this is my 1st dead battery on a bike so guess I better check a few things out and charging system being one of them.Maybe give the stock battery a chance with this 1441 and see how it does??

Same thing happened with mine. Had it running, turned it off, wouldnt turn over. Bought a battery tender, charged it up. Got it to turn over. Rode, turned it off and it died. Tender then told me the battery was bad.

Glad you got it worked out.

Modern fuel injected bikes are basically one big computer, its not like the old days where a bike would start and run on a battery that was half dead. With modern bikes they are very sensivitive to weak batteries, they do very funny things. Folks always make the mistake of thinking its everything else but their battery when out of the clear blue a perfectly functioning bike suddenly refuses to start. Bikes sit alot, through alot of cold winters......and may only get ridden a few miles on a weekend sometimes in good weather, plus they have ecu's that draw current, and often times others things hooked up, and no battery tenders used, which means the batteries are the weak link in the whole process. Always check the battery first when you have starting problems :thumbsup:

Back