Bike wont start. Not sure why.

Would it be possible to just bypass the starter relay to see if she'll start. Did you inspect the wire from the relay to the starter to see if there is a worn spot grounding it out causing it to F up the relay?

Take a large gauge wire and replace the starter wire. Simple to do, but you need to remove the right side fairing. Connect one end to the starter motor and the other directly to the battery and see if it starts. Remove the end from the battery and connect to the starter relay. If it works, then the starter lead wire is bad.
Do I still need to try this if the below procedure has worked?
Would it be possible to just bypass the starter relay to see if she'll start. Did you inspect the wire from the relay to the starter to see if there is a worn spot grounding it out causing it to F up the relay?
Yes. I did this last week thursday. It will start if I connect the to large wires together that go into the relay. The one from the starter and the one from the positive terminal on the battery. While running a test with it, I notice that the large wire from the starter functions as a ground until I put power to it. If I try it with a small wire, the wire will get hot as if I am doing something wrong. with a screwdriver or any other metal object, it will spark as if you touched the negative and positive terminal on a car battery, but the starter will work.

I switched the wire and had no luck...... :(

I made a lil vid showing the problem that I am having..... This is the only way I can get it to crank other than the typical push start and ride it way. I am getting power to that yellow wire you can see there attached to the relay box when I press the start button. .
The first 11 seconds is me basically connecting the starter wire to the wire from the positive terminal directly. Afterwards I try it the way it is supposed to be done.
th_DSCN1505.jpg

Last edited:
I this may be a long shot but my buddy's bike started one day and the next didnt and it was the spark plugs he changed them and it fired right up this may not be your problem but i saw all the other things everybody suggested and that you've tried so i just thought i would add my 2 cents i hope you get it going soon let us know too when you get it going and what it was that fixed it

I this may be a long shot but my buddy's bike started one day and the next didnt and it was the spark plugs he changed them and it fired right up this may not be your problem but i saw all the other things everybody suggested and that you've tried so i just thought i would add my 2 cents i hope you get it going soon let us know too when you get it going and what it was that fixed it

If the spark plugs were bad, wouldn't it not start period? I can push start the bike now or force start it and it will run and ride no problems. I don't think the bike would do that if the spark plugs were bad..... How likely is that?

Good point it was the only thing i could think of and i just wanted to help sorry i'll just keep to myself from now on

Good point it was the only thing i could think of and i just wanted to help sorry i'll just keep to myself from now on

No it's cool man.. I appreciate it and any thing else you can come up with. I really do.... I am just letting you know what I have already tried and putting it out there..

Holiday weekend is coming up and I want to ride my baby.... :banghead::banghead:

Thats good cause i don't do good with keeping to myself :laugh: but yea i will be thinking and asking around to see if any of my buddy's know anything... One of them used to work in a Suzuki shop so maybe he'll know :please:

Thats good cause i don't do good with keeping to myself :laugh: but yea i will be thinking and asking around to see if any of my buddy's know anything... One of them used to work in a Suzuki shop so maybe he'll know :please:

Sounds good Thanks.... Im just baffled that this happened out of nowhere.. Straight out of the blue....

No problem man... I'm sure someone on here will figure it out God knows everybody here sure has helped me out

Worked again on the bike tonight with no luck. all 4 wires on the starter relay are receiving power when I push the starter button.

I tried 2 different things and I noticed something:
1) I connected the yellow and green wire on the relay to the black thick wire that goes to the starter together. Then when I pushed the starter button, it slightly budges but then blows the ignition fuse. It did it twice.

2) I joined the black wire on the relay to the thick black wire that goes to the starter together. When I pushed the starter button, the relay went crazy but it started the bike. However the relay kept cranking the bike whether it was running, turned off or anything. As long as it was plugged in it would try and start so I shut it off and disconnected the battery.

So there is something still preventing the relay from transferring current over to the starter wire to start the bike..

Does this at all make sense to anyone?

Maybe I'm viewing the vid wrong, but it looks like you are tapping the yellow wire onto the starter relay. I had a similar problem and ran the wire straight to the battery and it fired up. Changed out the starter relay (and a few other things) and she runs great now.

Maybe I'm viewing the vid wrong, but it looks like you are tapping the yellow wire onto the starter relay. I had a similar problem and ran the wire straight to the battery and it fired up. Changed out the starter relay (and a few other things) and she runs great now.

No, in the vid I am tapping the starter wire on the power wire that is ran straight from the battery to the starter relay.

have you tried a test light to see if when you hit button if power comes to the starter wire at starter?

have you tried a test light to see if when you hit button if power comes to the starter wire at starter?

Yes. With the test light, power is coming to all 4 wires that plug into the relay, no power to the starter wire while hitting the button, and the other wire is always getting power since it is connected to the battery.

Made another video with the test light....

Went from the the constant power thick black wire from the battery, to the starter wire, then to the yellow and green wire and the black wire on the relay. These last two wires are blinking because when I hit the power button, it lights up the tester. The other two ones that light up directly are the 2 red wires that accompany the switch on the relay.
th_DSCN1507.jpg

Still nothing.... Im so frustrated.. Think im just gonna sell the damn thing or part it out if I cant figure this crap out..

Back