Bike won't hold a line on a sweeper

2hip

Registered
Took a good ride down to Petaluma..over 2 mountainous roads with lots of curves...75 degrees out...i was in bike heaven. I like to lay a bike over...weight hanging off the side...head near the mirror...u know the drill. Something was wrong though...the bike wouldn't hold the line. Front tire would do mini-step outs and I would have to readjust the line...got used to it. Make mental note to check it out.
Called Alan's Sportbikes in Petaluma and was talking with him about the issue. He says...did you check your air pressure? I can't remember the last time I did it. He said you dropped 50 lbs off of the bike with the titanium pipes and BST carbon wheels, right...Yah...so he said you should be running 38-40 lbs...go check it.
Just got back from the garage. Both front and rear were at 28 and 30 respectively..:banghead: Talk about being a dinkledorff...problem solved.:poke:

Actually, the lighter the bike (or any vehicle for that matter), the less air pressure should be - not more (example, bicycle <10 psi, car tire - 32 psi, light truck - 60 psi, a bus/large truck - probably 80 - 100 psi. Actually, 28/30 is just a tad less than you would run at the track. And with less air pressure, the tire would have more grip. And at high speed, the tire would warm up to about 120 - 130 deg, and the air pressure would go up to 32 - 35 psi because of that. So, are you sure that was it? Running 38/40 in twisties seems to be way too high.

which would make sence since the bike lost 50 lbs you need to reset your suspension as well.

You guys are close to the mark...manufacture for the B016-bridgestones is 42 lbs...Alan is a pro racer and mechanic...he knows my bike..said I should be running in the 36-38 range...he said the 28 was way too low unless I was running at the track..and I have done it around 30-32 psi. I need to get the bike to him to work out the suspension since the 50 lbs weight loss...so, "use" guys are right...combo of things...thanks

Back