bike weight

TreeSlayer

Registered
hello all! my name is Layton. i'm new to the board. if i'm not posting in the correct area, just let me know. first off, i'm not a bike rider. i used to ride many years ago, but after a nasty accident, I've not ever been able to get back on the "horse" again. what i do have though, is a 1970 model VW Beetle. it has a 1300cc 'Busa engine in it. the body is steel, but the front cap is fiberglass. the frame is 1-5/8" round tubing, and the suspension is Mazda Miata. it's a really cool car to drive, it just gets really hot in the summertime, and it's very noisy. i don't know what it weighs just yet. i'm sure it outweighs a stock bike by a bunch (duhh). the clutch gets a little touchy after a few minutes of driving. i was wondering, how much does a bone stock 2003 Hayabusa weigh? also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the clutch cooler? thanks a million in advance! if there's anything you think i may be able help you with, please holler at me!

The engine does not run exceptionally hot in a bike although I'm sure you'll find many threads complaining about heat on the legs in hot weather. The stock water temp gauge rarely goes to halfway on mine and I don't recall ever seeing it higher than that. I'm guessing that is about 160 F?? The oil doesn't seem to darken up much either. I think this bike runs cool. No problems with the clutch but after 2500 miles it will start to miss a shift between 1 and 2. Change oil and it's golden.

If the clutch isn't slipping it shouldn't get any hotter than the oil. If it is slipping address that. You may be able to improve the heat situation with an improved oil cooler, but I don't know why it would need that if the engine cooling system is working well and the clutch isn't slipping.

The Gen 1 is known to break the hydraulic clutch activation mounts on the sprocket cover when you fit stronger clutch springs . The Gen 2 also I have read . If you do ,you can get a custom brace for this , or even a heavy duty custom cover . I'm sure it has been covered somewhere on the Org. Good luck with the Beetle .

:welcome:
Hi Treeslayer, sounds like a great wee car you have, I've had a few Beetles and Kombis back in the day myself.
Yours is a bit different with the 'Busa motor installed.
That clutch will take a hiding due to the weight it has to pull as the other members have said.
There are full replacement heavy duty clutches designed for high horse power drag racing 'Busa motors available but they are expensive.
Can you post up some pics of the car, we would be interested to see the set up you have and the engineering that has gone into it.
Welcome along to the org.

The Gen 1 is known to break the hydraulic clutch activation mounts on the sprocket cover when you fit stronger clutch springs . The Gen 2 also I have read . If you do ,you can get a custom brace for this , or even a heavy duty custom cover . I'm sure it has been covered somewhere on the Org.

This was pretty recent. You'll probably find a couple different slave supports online. I don't know if one is any better than the next.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/slave-cylinder-support-bracket-pic.193557/#post-3223152

Also, use wet clutch specific (motorcycle) oil rather than a car oil. The car oil will slip the clutch easier.

Back