Bike surges forward after getting tires changed.

ZeePopo

Registered
Yeah I heard about never taking your bike in for work at the dealership. Always some problems gonna come and bite u in the ass afterwards. Well I haven't had my stands come in yet so I had to take the whole bike in to get the tires changed. Drop her off in the morning and picked her up later that afternoon. I knew something was off when I start taking her out of the lot and the rear brake ain't working. Luckily the front does. I pump the rear a few times and the pressure goes up so thinking hmm weird. So I drive home with no further problems. Stop at McD's to take a quick breather. Start the bike up again ,shift into first and I hear this clunk sound and the bike surges forward. I had the front brake on and the clutch lever fully in. Bike has never done this to me before. So I get her home and try again. Yup, there's the clunk and the surging forwards again. I got no idea why after a front and rear tire change I would be having these issues. Bike is a K8 with 13k on her.

Welcome to the oRg. Couple of things come to mind, they forgot a spacer and your wheel is not installed right. Check your chain slack, if they didnt have the decency to check your brakes I bet the chain isnt right either. Or........they left the crush drive out when they re-assembled.

Thx twotonevert! Glad to be here. I am gonna have to take it back to them to see whats missing. Damn this pisses me off. I couldn't wait to try out my Bt003's and now I'm just fuming grrrr.

I am surprised they didn't take a test ride to make sure it was ok, my local dealer does that and it always makes me nervous. I have not had a dealer do anything to my 09 since I have had it.

HHHmmmmmm............lots of bikes do that after the mechanic does a 200ft burn out to check the tires. They then disconnect the brake so you think its a harley! I imagine he did a few 6000rpm holeshots too. Nothing like giving the mechanic some fun!!!!

Could be that nut behind the bars?

You may want to re-torque that puppy. Cures most drive train problems that arise from a tire change at the local dealership. :dunno:

I bet they didnt take time to torque that rear wheel to 72.5lbs with that air ratchet either.:banghead:

Double check all their work.

dealer sucks go over everything that they did, my buddy took his bike in and had tires changed and the rear axle nut was so tight that he could barely spin the rear wheel and they didnt put a cotter pin back in his castle nut and the front pinch bolts were loose. I about flipped out when i saw all the issues

I have no comments to this about poor dealer service performed on customers bikes.

Part of the reason to learn motorcycle mechanics on your own. Ask questions, read manuals, watch how to videos on the internet etc. Use your resources and take your time.

I have no comments to this about poor dealer service performed on customers bikes.

Part of the reason to learn motorcycle mechanics on your own. Ask questions, read manuals, watch how to videos on the internet etc. Use your resources and take your time.

This^
And for you guys that aren't mechanically inclined, there is tons of info and always members online ready to help you...for free.
If you don't have tools, they are cheaper than dealer fees and will pay for themselves many times over.

Ok so back to the dealership she went. They took it all apart, all the spacers are there, cush drive is in good order. Got the tracking issue resolved. Took them two days to get it done . So in order to keep me happy they gave me a loaner bike. Decided to try out a Victory Jackpot. Damn its got a fat ass tire from factory. Pretty sweet ride for such a wide profile tire. Alas V twin is not for me! lol. I can see why some guys run wide profile rears. Its kinda fun once u get the hang of it.

Anyway the shifting issue is still there sadly. Now I am starting to wonder if its just me being paranoid about the engagement from N to 1st or the fact I only had the bike for a short time. If u press the clutch lever then wait a few seconds before shifting to 1st the surging forward doesn't happen. Waiting for speed bleeders to come in so I can bleed all of it and see if that will help.

Most dealership service departments seem to suck. None of my current bikes have ever been touched by anybody but me, either since new or since I bought them used.................the peace of mind knowing I've done the work right myself is priceless :laugh:

I'm lucky in the Tampa Fl area, there are at least 5 very nice first class shops that have fantastic mechanics. They all take customer service VERY seriously and compete against each other on that service. All my work is rock solid and they even do more than requested to keep the bike in top top shape. I'm very blessed!

you might check your idle speed is it in spec around 1100 rpm...another thing that could have happned is when pulling it on the bike stand or when some one from the dealer road your bike they could have gotten the clutch hot...if you get the clutch extra hot it could warp the steels and when you put the bike in gear even with the clutch in it will have a bit of drag trying to pull the bike forward...jack up the back of your bike start it and put it in gear with the clutch in 100 dollars says the tire will take off fast...it is normal to have a tiny bit of drag but i bet it is too much do to warped steels...make them buy you a new clutch pack

You have a chain issue. It is my guess they didnt adjust the chain properly. I see this crap all the time at the local dealership. Check and adjust your chain tension properly. I bet you see the problem go away.

Back