Bike starts great cold, but when hot cannot turn over until it cools off

84Ninja

Registered
I was in standing traffic today and let the clutch out inadvertantly (and dumbly) and stalled it. Turned over once and stumbled to a halt. Fortunately I was on a grade and made a u turn downhill, popped the clutch in 1st and she fired up. I erroneously thought this was vapor lock, but I just read what that is. I have a '99, btw. Anyone have any suggs? I just got a new battery that I was going to put in, but I wanted to ask u experts first. Thx if u can suggest anything,

K
Posted via Mobile Device

When the bike gets hot its sometimes hard to turn over and start. It may not be the battery actually going bad. It is just how the bike is sometimes when its hot. I switched to a battery with 230cca and resolved the problem for good. There are threads about this issue. Also do yourself a favor and get a good battery. dont go cheap and get one from batteries plus like i did. Bad choice. sure its cheaper but it died without warning after 3 months. still ended up buying the larger 230cca which cost about $180 or so. so i really didnt save anything at all. just wasted money. Lesson,,,,,,,always go with top quality on your bike. anything else and you will regret it one way or another:rulez:

Wow, thanks for that, j. I bought the motobatt gen1 battery. Not the best, but ok I hope! Will look into yours when this one goes weak. Thx again, K
Posted via Mobile Device

I fought the same problem all last season. Finally after a suggestion right here on the org - I bought a new battery for this season - even though the old battery after being parked all winter it still started the bike. Thats the fix- plain and simple. My bike starts perfectly all the time now.:beerchug:

i just had a learning experiance with batteries a few weeks ago...

last feb bought new battery...ran all summer great,winter i stored in back room,occasionally charging,well had warm day in march and installed batery,bike is in garage but it still gets cold,went to ride first time and bike wouldnt crank over,put charger on battery and then went for ride..

well checked battery and it was 12.4 v..so reinstalled and bike started,it started 1 other time and then stranded me in rochester,lucky for me brother in law was just down the street...jumped battery and went home..

now this is the learning part for me...
took battery to interstate battery down the road,they checked the battery and found the battery was good but the CCA should have been 180 CCA but was only 120 CCA...bought new battery and no more problems...they said i might have frozen the battery

so even if all guages come up perfect this motor takes quite a bit to crank it over...:bowdown:

I had the same issue on my brand new 2011 Busa. It was just 1 week old and I was taking it back to the dealer to have LoJack installed. I got there just before they opened so I shut it down. A couple minutes later they opened the gate. When I tried to start it, it cranked over a couple revs and stopped. Right in front of the service guy opening the gate, a brand spanking new bike and it wouldn't start on several tries. I gave it one more try with the throttle cracked about 1/4 and she sprang to life like she wanted to go into orbit. I figure between a hot starter motor and the high compression with the throttle closed, it just didn't want to complete enough revolutions. No issues since then.

Bob

Consistant starting problems with - cold engine/starts - hot engine/won't fire can be caused by bad regulator/rectifer or coil.

Back