bike stands, whats the big deal???

A couple of reasons come to mind. 1. It doesn't leave the forks compressed 2. It will take up less space in a garage or shed.

What's with the "don't skimp on them?" You aren't the only one I've heard this from. I bought a pair for $100 and couldn't be happier. They came with both adapters, w/ spools and w/o. We're not talking about lifting 10k lbs, so why do you need to spend all the dough? Mine go up nice and easy too. The only thing I'd like to have different is the neck stand for doing forks when the time comes.
They are definitely worth their weight when it comes time for chain and wheel maint/cleaning! I wouldn't be without.

I have been in the metal fab bizz for 23 yrs. I know good made stuff and chit made stuff.
I learned a long long time ago to buy quality stuff, so you dont have to buy it again! do it right...buy it once!:beerchug:

i got a cheap one on ebay like 60 bucks shipped and had to re weld it and add braces to it works great now but looks like crap lol i shouldnt have skimped im lookin at one of the new redline race stands with the casters on it now that one looks awesome for movin the bike around in the garage

I have been in the metal fab bizz for 23 yrs. I know good made stuff and chit made stuff.
I learned a long long time ago to buy quality stuff, so you dont have to buy it again! do it right...buy it once!:beerchug:
I can totaly appreciate buying quality equipment and tools etc. Maybe I got lucky with what I bought. Who knows. I did see quite a few out there that looked cheap.

Another good reason for stands is that it keeps the bike upright. My garage doesn't have a lot of empty space. The 5-10 inches saved can mean a lot.

A couple of reasons come to mind. 1. It doesn't leave the forks compressed 2. It will take up less space in a garage or shed.

#1 only works if you use the head stand! gotta remember brother, joncook06 doesn't understand the importance, so you gotta elaborate so he does understand. Some front stands don't come with the head kit, so you gotta know what you're getting. I got my S-Spec stand set off ebay, and the front stand kit came with pads for fork lift or the adapter for the head lift. Plus, it isn't really going to hurt the forks to leave them in there natural position. Not to mention, we leave the rear spring compressed, right. If you do use a head stand, either remove the undercover on the fairing, or be really careful. If your babies dropped, forget ther headstand.

its beginning to make sense, i've heard some people say they park their bike on them every night isn't that kinda pointless?

Unless you are trying to save space, that could be a bit pointless if you ride daily. If it is more like once every week or two, than it makes sense to me. Again, like most things on here, to each there own.

Just ordered a rear stand last week. Can't wait to try it out with a little chain maintenance.

its beginning to make sense, i've heard some people say they park their bike on them every night isn't that kinda pointless?

I ride mine everyday possible (except when it rains) and put it on the stand at the end of the ride. I also like to clean it after most rides, so that is part of it. Takes a couple minutes to put it on the stand and less than that to take it off.

I park my bike on them after each ride because I'm that type of guy that always check the tire pressure front and rear before each ride. I have a one car garage. I don't want to roll the bike trying to find the valve stem so I can pump the tires. Also, I check my tires after each ride if I got a nail or something to make sure I'm safe on my next ride. The way I see it, we only have two. Better be sure it's ready before each ride. Not to mention how easy to clean the wheels and chain.

#1 only works if you use the head stand! gotta remember brother, joncook06 doesn't understand the importance, so you gotta elaborate so he does understand. Some front stands don't come with the head kit, so you gotta know what you're getting. I got my S-Spec stand set off ebay, and the front stand kit came with pads for fork lift or the adapter for the head lift. Plus, it isn't really going to hurt the forks to leave them in there natural position. Not to mention, we leave the rear spring compressed, right. If you do use a head stand, either remove the undercover on the fairing, or be really careful. If your babies dropped, forget ther headstand.
Good points... You're right. Sorry about that.

Well, I arrived in Germany in March and deployed to Iraq in April and I just got my first set of stands. I'm glad I did because before I PCSd to Germany I had just put on brand new tires and I didnt even get to ride because I was in Missouri and it was snowing there and in Germany when I got there. So I hope I saved some money by not leaving the bike on the garage floor and watching the tires deflate over the 15 months I'll be here.

never heard the "eliminates flat spots from being stored" theory before :rofl:

must be some super soft compound on those tires.

Most bike storage places use stands for 2 reasons:

#1 an upright bike takes up less space hence they can store more bikes

#2 Over winter your tire pressures will change...his can create movement. Movement can rock your bike. Rocking of your bike can knock it over (and maybe hit something these:whistle: ) Biek stands make this less liekly to happen.

I personally like and recommend only pitt bull stands but I admit, I do have a generic stand that I prefer over my pitt bull rear stand. (lighter and feels just as sturdy)

I suggest you go to a local dealer and see if you can inspect anything first hand before buying. I am sold on stem lift front stands....:thumbsup:

Isn't it kinda a PITA to do chain mantiance with a stand ???

Como? It's a pain to do chain maintenance without a rear stand. That is, unless you like pushing your bike all over the garage. I don't know how you responsibly own one of these bike without a rear stand. I guess you could have your own personal stall at the stealer. :rulez:

Back