Bike shut down while riding...

blacked_busa

Registered
My bike had been sitting all summer due to being repainted. Ive been riding it for about 2 weeks now and no issues. I have filled up with gas at least 3 different times. I use premium in my bike. I also have a PC III that has been disconnected and I also have a Hindle Full exhaus. I rode today for about 15 minutes no problem. The bike set for a little while during lunch. When I tried to start it, it took me 2 tries before it cranked. This doesnt usually happen. Once I took off I noticed it was a little jerky when switching gears. When I hit about 3rd gear the bike just shuts off. I pulled over and put it in neutral and it cranked right up. I then rode for about 35 minutes and hit the interstate when the bike decides it wants to cut off again going 70mph. I pull over and put it in neutral and it cranks right back up. Once I was almost home it cuts off one more time but I was able to coast while putting it in neutral and started it back up. Once I switched gears, the bike cuts off again. Not sure what is going on. Is this a possible kick stand switch going bad? I would think that would cause the bike to jerk. I thought it may be bad gas or my Fuel Injectors could be dirty from sitting but why would it all of a sudden start to act up 2 weeks after hard riding? Any ideas? Oh and by the way no codes came up when the bike shut off.

Check the tip over switch, have seen this issue a few times. Make sure the rubber grommet is seated on the retainer so the switch is not flopping around.

There's a small tab that operates the switch from memory. Just bend it a little so that it makes up the switch a little sooner. Also make sure the kickstand spring is good to go, not lazy.

Check your battery connections are tight and making good contact. I can't tell you how many times I have heard these exact symptoms only to find a loose cable at the battery.

I bent the metal that hits the Kill switch for the kickstand. Seemed to be fine before I bent it but I just did to be on the safe side. I haven't checked the cables yet. But wouldn't it reset the clock if it was loose connections? Could it be bad gas or where the bike has been sitting for 6-8 months? Not sure why it would act up after 2 weeks of riding?

I bent the metal that hits the Kill switch for the kickstand. Seemed to be fine before I bent it but I just did to be on the safe side. I haven't checked the cables yet. But wouldn't it reset the clock if it was loose connections? Could it be bad gas or where the bike has been sitting for 6-8 months? Not sure why it would act up after 2 weeks of riding?
Not always.....

Ok I want be able to look at it until Tuesday but ill check the battery connection and adjust the idle. Does the tank have to be lifted to get to the idle screw? And I'm assuming the screw can be adjusted while the bike is running? Don't wanna screw anything up.

Ok I want be able to look at it until Tuesday but ill check the battery connection and adjust the idle. Does the tank have to be lifted to get to the idle screw? And I'm assuming the screw can be adjusted while the bike is running? Don't wanna screw anything up.

Tank doesn't have to be lifted, and the bike can be running.

Is your bike an 08? If so and it hasn't had the wiring harness recall done you may have an issue with the wiring harness where it wraps around the steering head. There was issues with the 08 shutting down during normal operations over that.

Is your bike an 08? If so and it hasn't had the wiring harness recall done you may have an issue with the wiring harness where it wraps around the steering head. There was issues with the 08 shutting down during normal operations over that.

Based on his avatar pic it looks like he has a Gen1

Its an 05. Ill try try those 2 things and see how it goes. If that doesnt fix the problem ill jump back on here and see what else everyone can come up with. I really dont want to have to pay someone to figure it out when its something probably simple.

Check your battery connections are tight and making good contact. I can't tell you how many times I have heard these exact symptoms only to find a loose cable at the battery.

+1 My 05 did the same thing. You beat me to it!

Back to the drawing boards...

I recently adjusted the kickstand switch, tightened the battery cables, and bumped up the idle to 1300. I rode the bike yesterday for about 45 minutes with no issues. On the way to work this morning about 10 minutes into my ride it shuts off. The engine got real loud like it had no exhaust for just a second. I cranked the bike back up and rode the rest of the way without problems. What else could it be?

Back to the drawing boards...

I recently adjusted the kickstand switch, tightened the battery cables, and bumped up the idle to 1300. I rode the bike yesterday for about 45 minutes with no issues. On the way to work this morning about 10 minutes into my ride it shuts off. The engine got real loud like it had no exhaust for just a second. I cranked the bike back up and rode the rest of the way without problems. What else could it be?

Thats a new one on me. ???

Could the fuel pump be going bad? The fuel pump kicks on every time I turn the bike on. I also Just had a hard time getting my kick stand to go down so maybe that is the culprit.

Back