Bike Runs Super Rich....possibilities?

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Okay guys, this season I am trying to finish getting my bike running right. I have a sketchy history of, and that is what it is, so here I am.

Bike is a 99, odo reads 32k miles. Last season I did new fuel filter/injectors, chain, plugs. Currently has marble mod, which fixed backfiring but did not affect gas mileage.

Bike has slip on two brothers pipes, to my knowledge stock everything else. No PC3. Bike does have Orient Express decaled into each side but I doubt major engine work was done and not noted from owner to owner.

It gets 20-25 MPG, depending on the tank. Judging from what I have read even spirited riders are managing 35 MPG. I do not ride that aggressively, can't afford to nor do I really have the desire all that often. I shift low and use all gears.

I am getting the valves checked/adjusted right away. Going to replace the air filter with a stock one, and going to replace the plugs again. Also buying a Carbtune to sync the throttle bodies. If all of these things do not fix it, what's left? A stock bike should not need to be tuned, correct? The stock computer should adjust air/fuel ratio etc?

So my question really is what other factors could be affecting my mileage? The bike runs so rich if you are behind the bike at behind me at a light you can easily smell it.

Thanks for all the input, just trying to get the poor bike running properly.

If all hardware is good, then it has to be related to the tune. There is nothing else left.

Okay, assuming that's what it takes, can a dyno tune a stock computer? Or are there other options? Do most dealerships have dynos? Or only some?

Id try a PC3 first. If that doesent fix then try a tune, the pc3 will be good to have for that, though it is possible to reflash the stock ECU. Most dealers dont have Dynos, not in my area anyway. Your not too far from HPC in Maryland, they have a dyno, maybe greg will see this and chim in

since the bike is a 99 stock except for slip-ons I would say to start checking some of the sensors. It could be one or a commbination are just out of spec causing the ECU to think it needs to add more fuel. Did anyone shove a TRE on it?

Check the coolant sensor, IAT, TPS, IAP, AP first. These help the ecu decide how much fuel to add. You can check the cam & crank sensors but I would think if they were out of spec your bike would have more the a low mpg.

the stock ECU may have been flashed at some point by owner. take to Suzuki shop and have it zeroed out.

Well I am still going to do a once over on all the hardware, then I have to give it to a higher power. I tried PMing GPW and no response, so I am going to stick to some places closer to me.

Thanks for all the input guys. I really do not want to buy a PC3 because I see no reason I need it. Plus if I do then I have to get a full exhaust to justify it...

I would check out all your sensors first and see what they look like. If synching the throttle bodies and checking the sensors doesn't fix the problem, I would go with a PC3 and a good tune.

Back