Bike Keyless Ignition System

EchoBase

Registered
I am developing a universal kit that will enable you to have a keyless ignition system on your bike by means of an RFID Proximity Tag.

The concept is you get on your bike flip the kill switch to the Run position place the RFID tag near the "hidden" receiver antenna and the bike reacts as if you have turned the key to the ON position. Start your bike and away you go.
Place the tag near the antenna again and your bike reacts as if you've turned your bike to the OFF position.

RFID tags vary in size and shape, examples are:
A 1" adhesive sticker
A small tag on a keychain
A Credit Card size tag
Even a 2mm x 12mm capsule that you can inject under your skin.

i've attached some pictures as examples, they a just pulled off the internet.
Personally I have taken apart a keychain tag and an going to sew the actual little transponder disc it into a part of my riding gear.

I will post when the kits are ready.
I just wanted to let everyone know they're coming.
:thumbsup:

3910_0_Web.jpg

rfidtag.jpg

P12658727110370539m.jpg

Don't know about the on/off set up. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

It's pretty simple, no tag, no on. Unless you choose to use they key, which at this point is just a backup.
There is more to the system then just the antenna and reader. There are relays being latched on once the correct signal is received from the tag.
The kill switch will still function as the kill switch, it was just a theoretical startup procedure.
I welcome suggestions DO3

:beerchug:

Love the concept, especially if done with the RFID chip under your skin or in your gear... If you can make it also an ignition kill feature in the event you are out of the proximity, that would be pretty damn sweet too.

It would make bike jacking someone on the road pretty tough to get away with. :thumbsup:

Put me first on the list for this concept once you get it dialed in.

Love the concept, especially if done with the RFID chip under your skin or in your gear... If you can make it also an ignition kill feature in the event you are out of the proximity, that would be pretty damn sweet too.

It would make bike jacking someone on the road pretty tough to get away with. :thumbsup:

Put me first on the list for this concept once you get it dialed in.

Thanks bro. You're #1 then.
Ignition kill is easy and I incorporate that.
I already have that via my alarm so I didn't think to do it on this mod.
:yes:

Digital Guard Dog has been doing this for years, i imagine you might want to check what kind of protection/patents they have on someone else copying their idea

Digital Guard Dog has been doing this for years, i imagine you might want to check what kind of protection/patents they have on someone else copying their idea

+1... Great Call Out!!!

Would hate to see a fellow brother get in any hot water for any Patenet Infringement violation.

Yes they have been doing this for some time, however their system is very different.
No one is copying anyones anything.

My concern was the tag getting near the antenna killing the bike while riding.

My concern was the tag getting near the antenna killing the bike while riding.

That is a valid concern!
Appropriate placement of the antenna will avoid that issue.
Also, the tag needs to be pretty close to the antenna to trigger it on or off.

why would you need the tag to kill the motor? just hit the kill switch and be done with it.

I was thinking about doing this myself but since I'm too lazy I'll give you my thoughts:

1. The power to the bike will automatically come on when the tag is close to the bike and go off when the tag is away from it. So even if the key is on the power is killed if the tag is not near the bike.
2. The unit would be wired into the bike very simply, just remove the battery terminals and attach them to the unit in the tamper proof enclosure. Now attach the unit's power cables to the battery (which also have tamper proof bolts.
3. Replace the seat, also with tamper proof bolts. The kit would come with tamper proof bolts for the seat too.

So, first if the tag is not near the bike power is cut at the battery. You can either leave the key on all the time and just hop on the bike and start it. Or you can use the key normally, it just won't work unless the tag is near. The unit could have the following:

1. A motion/tilt sensor. Siren goes off if the bike is moved with the tag not there.
2. Module for remote notification, either cellular or wifi.
3. 12V unswitched out
4. led blinking red light for when bike "armed"
5. Automatically reduce pings for the tag if the bike is not ridden in 48 hours to save power.
6. Rechargable battery backup.

All this hinges on making it hard to get to the battery terminals. The average criminal will either break the key cover and jump the bike there or splice the wires near the ECU (I'm told). This unit will disable all of that and be difficult to get to without special tools for the pamper proof bolts. The can still just pick the bike up and take it, but this unit could be pretty cheap insurance against the easy target thief.

Yeah, but you only need the tag to turn on the bike. Needing it to turn it off isn't useful. You could accidentally switch it off, or you could drop your tag and be unable to toggle it off.

I think he is planning on using latching relays- these would stay on once turned on. just like your key, there to be turned on and turned off. You could do the same setup with a magnetic switch too. This would allow the RFID chip to turn on and then go away from the bike. then you would have to re-arm the system to turn it off again.

I think he is planning on using latching relays- these would stay on once turned on. just like your key, there to be turned on and turned off. You could do the same setup with a magnetic switch too. This would allow the RFID chip to turn on and then go away from the bike. then you would have to re-arm the system to turn it off again.

Bingo, thats the concept.

Yeah, but you only need the tag to turn on the bike. Needing it to turn it off isn't useful. You could accidentally switch it off, or you could drop your tag and be unable to toggle it off.

Icemansid has the concept correct.

Without this mod you could lose your key and not be able to use your bike. This mod does not put you at a disadvantage.

I am assuming the system would be able to re-program new key cards? if you had physical access, you could easily (if new knew how) to add a key in the event of a lost key. prob much cheaper and easier than going down to the stealership and getting a custom key cut...

Bingo
Each kit comes with a master tag that is used to add new tags or delete all tags.
You can get your tags from anywhere and program your own, the kit will include two tags in addition to the master tag.

Back