bike jerks while crusing...WTF

Santos9899

Registered
Hey fellas, I got a 2000 Hayabusa with a 1397 stroker kit, single side yoshimura exhaust, air box mod and power commander, I am in the military and was deployed recently. while i was away my bike sat idle. i put in a fuel stabilizer and did all pre storage checks. so after i got back i rode it a few times. bike ran like how i left it. then i decided to re paint it jet black..fairings were taken off along with the fuel tank. now here is my problem

after i put it all back on, re-filled the tank i took it for a ride. now the bike jerks while crusing. i checked everything the only thing i found was i had the fuel hose routed the wrong way. corrected that but the problem still exist.

the hoses are not kinked, so what would cause it to jerk while crusing.

when i first took it for a ride it kept dying on me when i came to a stop or reved the motor.

could it be the Fuel filter? i really hate to pull the pumpand thats not the problem.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i would like to enjoy my bike before i go back to Afghanistan..which by the way is right around the corner..

thanks again..

This does sound strange, I am sure someone will chome in soon with a response to help you out. Oh and Thank You for your service and helping to protect our freedom:bowdown:

You may want to PM Johnny Cheese he know just about anything you need to know about the busa

Last edited:
thanks, I appreciate the help, I'll PM Johnny and hopefully he can help me. It gets disapointing to want to enjoy your toy only to have something go wrong.

when ride the bike it jerks during cruising so i end up looking like a bobby headed doll with me neck jerking back and fourth.

Check this out bro... Pay attention to when it jerks... If it does it specifically when you hit a bump(however slight) 99%... it's wiring... i had the same issue twice I forgot what the first time was (clutch maybe???)... but the second time it was the kickstad wire.... If it cuts off on bumps... shoot me a text(915-222-5013) and i'll walk you through how to trace the specific wire!!!

thanks for the replies guys. as for the jerking while cruising it does it more apparent while trying to hold the same speed. during highway speed it is not as noticeable.

i had the tank taped off. after primed, compressed air cleand out the tank. this weekend i amd going to pull the filter and see it current condition. might as well do it since i have not replaced the fuel filter since i got the bike in 01.

keep the suggestions coming. i want to get this baby back on the road and enjoy it before going back downrange...

thanks again

Check all your vacuum hoses. Sometimes, when they get old, they'll crack right where they are supposed to connect up to their respective nipples and they'll allow just enough leakage to cause this kind of problem.

Also, when you're putting the tank back on, it's easy to forget to connect one up and then, there ya go!

--Wag--

best of luck brother. hope you get to play before you head back to the sandbox.

check your fuel line going to the tank. It may be kinked and starving the engine.

already checked the lines. i will double check just to make sure. the only thing i can think of is whatever crud/junk that was in the tank is caught up in the filter which i hope caught everything before making it to the injectors.

thanks for the replies...keep em coming...knowledge is power

its most likely the fuel filter /screen, mine had the same problem, replaced the filter, and cleaned the screen and it went away. dont be a dummy like me and forget to order new gaskets for the fuel pump, other wise you will spend an extra 15 minutes fighting to get the old gasket back in. Apparently the old gasket gets a bit larger due to gas exposure.

so i tore down the pump and have new seals on order.. just to change a fuel filter could be a real chore....so i read up on doing an external in line fuel filter mod but never got any real answers on what type of pressure does the fuel system put out? what type of filter to use...

and am taking pics of the process in hopes that if all goes well i will create a how-to post..

btw...my fuel filter was dirty like a ***** in a std clinic..really dirty...

hope this was my problem....

I was just getting ready to post a new thread untill I came across this one. I have an 03 Hayabusa with the same exact problem. When I rev her hard she dies, and jerks really bad at lower speeds. The bike sat for quite a while before I purchaced it but ran great when I first bought it. Only mod is HFM high mount exhaulst that the guy said was mapped for the bike and a muzzy aluminum fan. I tried some fuel add and also higher octane racing fuel which only helped for a short period. I know absolutly nothing about busa engines so any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Where is the fuel filter located?:please: Oh and how much one cost with new gaskets?

Last edited:
Something I need to do on mine. No problems at the moment, but getting to be about that time.

--Wag--

Santos... I talked to 8 people about doing an inline fuel filter... they all said that Suzuki put that filter there for a reason... you're basically getting rid of a better filter to replace it w/ a cheap paper filter. 8 different bike mechanics convinced me not 2. Just FYI.

Mike thanks for the info but here is my reasoning. I am a mechanic by trade. now granted not a morotrcycle mechanic but i do know my way around gas and diesel engines.

i am sure suzuki put the filter there for a reason and the location they put it in is also a good reason. money! to replace a fuel filter in the hayabusa can cost a pretty penny. manufactures car or bike make majority of there profit by supplying parts or charging labor for a simple oil change or fuel filter change to "not void the warranty".

what differs aftermarket filters from OEM filters besides the micron rating? fuel filters main job is to filter the fuel of tiny particles before entering tiny orficies in the injectors so what difference does it make if it is filtered in the fuel pump housing or the line before the fuel rail.

my point is unless you or I install a lower micron rating fuel filter it should not be of any less quality.

now if suzuki really want to protect the fuel system why did they not put the filter before the pump besides using the screens in the tank or pump assembly. by doing so they can eliminate the chance of clogging up the fuel pump. then add a secondary filter after the fuel pump to remove any particles that may have gotten passed the first filter.

my point is that the filter quality is not the issue its the process to change the filter that i am concerned about. if you agree with me or not I take everything into consideration..

the things to keep in mind in the filter selection is the micron rating and psi rating.

race cars, performance vehicles, heavy duty vehicles putting out 500+hp use inline filters. what makes it of any less quality than an that installed in a motorcycle?

i appreciate your concern. thanks

so i finally got my bike back together....after waiting for all the pump seals, and shims (i re-shimmed my bike some were out of spec) and it seems to run alittle smoother but it still jerks....now i cleaned everything out and even changed out the filter...WTF>>>what could cause it? the only thing i can think of now is maybe the fuel **** may be clogged or partially blocked..does anyone know what else could cause this?

Back