Bike jerks and revs high suddenly????

warbucks

Registered
Hey guys. Just got my busa used-- first ever. Amazing to say the least. I took it easy the first couple days. Once I got the balls to start to wind it out a bit I noticed it jerked forward and reved suddenly at 5000-6000 rpms. It almost felt as if a tooth were missing on the counter sprocket or an an insane blast of fuel kicked in suddenly. Cannot recreate it in 3rd gear at same rpm. Anyone experience something similar to this before? Mines a 2006 w/ yoshimura pipe and power commander. Otherwise stock.

Have you adjusted the chain ? Chain might be loose or you might need a chain and sprockets. How many miles are on it ? Clutch comes to mind, cush drive rubbers .......

Or you live in a cooler climate and you're doing rolling burn outs :laugh:

If its jumping in and out of second gear at higher rpms it may be the transmission and the dreaded shift forks. Hope it isnt. Lots of threads on the subject.

you do not say but is this only in second gear?

If so, I am going with transmission issue too...doing mine right now... Not sure about the shift forks but the dogs on second gear are NOT undercut from the factory (big mistake) and they need done.. I got 30K out of mine.. Might try an oil change first (wont fix it but could delay the repair)

I just bought a second transmission, had it reworked and am installing it.. does not matter if the trans you buy is popping out of gear or not (does matter if it is damaged however)

Last edited:
Happens in 1st and 2nd gear. I adjusted the Power Commander from High RPM to Med RPM setting and it is now difficult to get it to happen in 1st gear even when I open it up hard. Just to reiderate, this is a quick jerk forward accompanied by a higher rev. If I stay on the gas the revs stay high and the bike picks up speed quickly, then does it a second time in to even higher revs with more speed. It is just such a sudden jerk forward, is feels mechanical. Maybe the bike is slipping and catching back into gear too quickly for me to notice the slip before the catch.

Last edited:
It's definitely staying in gear, and will go back into normal rpms if I back off on the gas. What's with these shift forks?

Last edited:
My '07 did this with no mods in 2nd gear at like 2500 miles (which really pissed me off).

It was the shift fork issue. Suzuki wasn't overly enthusiastic about paying to have it fixed, so the best I was able to get was a 3-way split between me, Suzuki and the dealership I bought it from (who was doing the work). Obviously the bike was still under the 1 yr. warranty at the time.

It happened to me at high RPM with a lot of throttle (close to WOT), sorta feels like the bike slips a tooth or something then catches itself, with a quick rev and a jerk. Can do this one time or 10 times from about 7-8k to redline.

I can't remember what exactly they ended up doing off the top of my head, but my vague recollection is that they did a lot more than just the forks, like replaced all the gears and some other crap.

Anyway good luck man I hope it winds up being something simple.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Sounds too common among the members here to be anything else. What, am I out about a grand to fix this?

If you changed your Power Commander settings and it changed the problem you were having, such as almost making it go away, I would turn off the power commander completely off and see how it rides. Something is fishy here.......Power Commander shouldn't have changed anything.

Thanks guys. Sounds too common among the members here to be anything else. What, am I out about a grand to fix this?

I had the shop fax me a copy of the repair order. They replaced all of the drive gears (1-6) and 3 shift forks, plus all the gaskets/fluids/etc. from the teardown.

Parts cost was $860.41, labor was $1,053.76. But like I said that was for gears as well as forks. The forks were ~$76 a piece.

From reading some of the other posts about the same problem it looks like at least a couple guys have done the labor themselves. Maybe try getting in touch with them and decide if that's feasible for you.

with regard to the power commander effecting the problem, the adjustment just reduced the frequency of the slip in 1st gear, not 2nd. I can certainly see power effecting gear tension. Not sure how to disable the power commander, but i was under the impression it was required for the yoshi pipe as well.

Hey guys. Just got my busa used-- first ever. Amazing to say the least. I took it easy the first couple days. Once I got the balls to start to wind it out a bit I noticed it jerked forward and reved suddenly at 5000-6000 rpms. It almost felt as if a tooth were missing on the counter sprocket or an an insane blast of fuel kicked in suddenly. Cannot recreate it in 3rd gear at same rpm. Anyone experience something similar to this before? Mines a 2006 w/ yoshimura pipe and power commander. Otherwise stock.
Second gear all gone

Yep. My buddy's bike does the same thing. I rode it a while back and in second and third it will slip at around 4K and then hit real hard. This is the second time this has started happening to him. The first time, he replaced the clutch and it seemed to go away. He is going to do his clutch again soon, but it is very strange for it to work great in upper gears with no slip if it was the clutch. Hope the seller is going to help you out some.

I had the shop fax me a copy of the repair order. They replaced all of the drive gears (1-6) and 3 shift forks, plus all the gaskets/fluids/etc. from the teardown.

Parts cost was $860.41, labor was $1,053.76. But like I said that was for gears as well as forks. The forks were ~$76 a piece.

From reading some of the other posts about the same problem it looks like at least a couple guys have done the labor themselves. Maybe try getting in touch with them and decide if that's feasible for you.
That would be technically the way a dealer would fix the issue..

Alas... there is a better way.. pulling the exisiting transmission and fixing it (barring any physical gear damage) is a far better option (no recurrance of issue down the road)..

Worst case is that some of the dogs need welded up ($5 a pop) and then they undercut the dogs so that they lock in.. "hopefully" problem solved forever... DIY?

Transmission work $105-$400
Gasket set: $40
Coolant: $5
Oil: $20 (M14T)
Filter:$5
Seal for clutch rod: $10?

figure a days work to do the job if you have parts and you can figure out which end of a wrench to use..

1 hour to remove motor from bike
1 hour to build a stand to hold motor
2 hours split case and replace trans and reseal motor (I cleaned motor before opening, add 30 minutes)
and that is where I am now...

figure 2 hours to put motor back in ? and hopefully no "re-do" :)

Mine: $340+39+5+20+5 (so far)

Back