bike does not turn over.

CopMagnet5oh

Registered
99 busa, went riding and after i turned it off at a gas station it no longer turns over, started from a push with some help from a fellow rider. where should i start looking, and how to test the system. i guess i'll start with the switch itself, but what else? starter itself ?

thanks!

- Kons

hmm, makes sense, as i just installed a charger for my gps yesterday. but HID lights and everything works ...

If your battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the bike over everything would temporarily go out while trying to start and you would here a clicking noise as the bike attempts to turn over the starter.

First thing I would check is the voltage of the battery and then the fuses. If those are good I would see about bypassing the switching and see if the starter will turn over, make sure the bike is in neutral. If that works I would start testing switches.

Good luck,
Scott

If your battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the bike over everything would temporarily go out while trying to start and you would here a clicking noise as the bike attempts to turn over the starter.

First thing I would check is the voltage of the battery and then the fuses. If those are good I would see about bypassing the switching and see if the starter will turn over, make sure the bike is in neutral. If that works I would start testing switches.

Good luck,
Scott

no clicking noise, and nothing go out, lights at full power, just when u press the start switch, nothing happens at all. no power to the starter at all, like if clutch was not pressed in or something.

will start working on it tomorrow morn.

thans for brainstorming, lol.

no clicking noise, and nothing go out, lights at full power, just when u press the start switch, nothing happens at all. no power to the starter at all, like if clutch was not pressed in or something.

will start working on it tomorrow morn.

thans for brainstorming, lol.

Ok, sounds like four potential switches not working.

The first two I would check would be the clutch and kickstand switches, if either are not operational then the system will not allow it to even try to engage the starter.

If those are fine next I would check the on and off switch which is easy, kickstand up bike in neutral turn on and off and you should be able to hear the fuel pump go on and off.

If that works then check the starter button itself, you can do this by disconnecting the handlebar plug underneath the left dash panel and just test for continuity when the button is pressed.

And of course in the manual is extensive testing procedures.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Maybe something as good as the starter relay, otherwise you might have a starter issue, something opening up when it gets hot. Voltmeter and a manual should get you through it. Good Luck :beerchug:

didnt start when i tried first thing this morning, i put on a charger, and it fired right up. so, all switches and starter work.

2 days ago i installed a GPS charger, had a 4 hour ride with it on and hooked up to my GPS, ran fine, started fine afterwards, then went for an hour ride and it didnt start after that. Is the factory battery weak for what i have ( HID, GPS, PC3 ) or MY battery is weak ( its 5+ years old, but worked fine before ) what would be an upgrade ?

thanks!

- Kons

I would check for a loose wire at the starter and at the start button on the right side control housing. That's what it sounds like to me. Check all your connections to the GPS charger, and make sure it's not hooked to a constant hot. It is possible that your battery is getting weak, but the stock battery will run your HID, GPS and PC3 without any problems.
Definitely check for loose connections before you buy a new battery.

didnt start when i tried first thing this morning, i put on a charger, and it fired right up. so, all switches and starter work.

2 days ago i installed a GPS charger, had a 4 hour ride with it on and hooked up to my GPS, ran fine, started fine afterwards, then went for an hour ride and it didnt start after that. Is the factory battery weak for what i have ( HID, GPS, PC3 ) or MY battery is weak ( its 5+ years old, but worked fine before ) what would be an upgrade ?

thanks!

- Kons

Check for loose connections and load test the battery. If the battery passes the load test I would definately look for loose connections or anything that might be on constantly even after turning the bike off.

If the battery does pass the load test I would also test the output of the stator to ensure a correct charging rate.

Bruh, I hate to tell you this, but this seems to be a common problem. Check page to of this forum on hot start, wont start...something like! It appears it maybe a host of things from weak battery, starter relay, starter, receiter, and a host of switches. No one has put a a true word on fixing this issue YET! All I can say is start of with the cheapest and easiest checks to the most expensive.

I too have the same problem and have upgraded a few things thinking it may fix the problem. I think I'm going to check the receiter and starter next.

Sorry Bruh!!!!

Back