Bike cutting out

bronc3

Registered
I'm having a serious problem with my '03. I'd take it to the dealer, but don't really know who I'd trust in my area. I looked for the obvious problems with no luck. I'm thinking TPS or ECM, but have no way to test it. Very frustrating.
It feels weak at moderate throttle, even surges a bit at highway speeds when you roll into it in sixth. Hard acceleration in first or second causes it to flat out fall on it face abruptly around 7 grand, as if you turned the key off.. This can be duplicated free revving it in neutral. I'm not sure what to think.

check your plugs and gas if it has sat.you may also have a bad pump or fuel filter.trash may be clogging your injectors.

<!--EDIT|GoldenChild
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131584946 -->

Thanks man. bike does not sit, it is driven almost daily. Plugs are fairly new, within the last 3k miles.

Is the fuel filter servicable on an '03? I've read about it being very expensive, but don't know if it can be serviced without replacing the pump assembly. The service manual I have is for the older external pump setup.

Hey check your tipover switch,it may have come off the back of the tank

I am starting to think you are correct about the fuel problem after poking around in some old threads in here. Might simply be a dirty fuel filter. Bike has 24k miles on it.

Haven't checked the tip swith. Where is it located? It's on the back of the tank? Didn't see anything there but the hinge.

Filter was clean, fuel pressure 15 psi - a tad low, pump is bad, bummer. Simple fix but high dollar part.

Filter was clean, fuel pressure 15 psi - a tad low, pump is bad, bummer. Simple fix but high dollar part.
Bronc I had the same thing happen on my 02 with 45,000 miles on it. The stealer called Suzuki and Suzuki told them to replace the fuel pump. It took a week to get and instal the pump, but it fixxed it. Mine was under warranty so it didnt cost me a dime.

Not sure my problem is the same as yours, but my '03 would shut down while riding...bike's warmed up, I'm running up through the gears and boom, it would die...I kept thinking I was hitting the kill switch or something, but I wasn't...

Long story short, I finally had the idle adjusted up...it's since fallen back down a bit, but it seems that my mysterious problem has disappeared...

I did have one service guy tell me that they've seen issues with the kill switch linked to your kick stand...sensors act like the stand's been put down and the bike just dies...

I wish you luck...it's very frustrating...

Finally got the pump, it solved the problem. Guess if you live in hurricane territory, watch where you buy your fuel following a storm. Pretty sure I got bad fuel. Same station, same time, fueled my truck and put fuel in cans (which went into the bike). Had to replace the pump in the truck as well, seems a bit coincidental, eh?

Back