Bike crash caught on camera

I just saw this clip for the first time. IMO the rider was going too fast for the volume of traffic and her position; namely, slow moving heavy traffic to her right and other traffic to her left that she was also attempting to pass. She had no escape route in the event of cager stupidity, which is rampant.

My rule of thumb is that when put in a position where I must rely on cagers to do the right thing AND I have no escape route, I slow down in order to lengthen the reaction time. Had she done that she would have been able to brake in time.

I agree with Hiyabruce. She's going too fast for the traffic conditions.

As for the civic, i watched the slow-mo at the end of the vid clip several times. The civic's nose does dive down just before the rear wheels lock up. it looks like the civic driver didn't know how to drive well. They obviously didn't see the car in front slow down (maybe he was checking out the motorcycle), forcing him to emergency brake, but then he swerves to the right while locked up.
it looks like a hatchback civic, so it's really light. If the shocks were worn or if he had inferior tires on the back ('cause it's a front wheel drive car) or if what set up to "drift" then the rears would start to smoke and lock up fairly easily.

bottom line: don't trust cagers and don't expect them to do the right thing!

This has been posted quite a few times like the other fellas said.

I still don't see that she "did anything wrong." Didn't appear to me that she was "trying to pass" anyone. And why would she slow when the traffic on her right slowed? The car in front of her slowed pretty quickly and started coming up on him, and it appeared to me that she slowed down.

You two fellas ride in a metro area regularly? For instance, commuting daily in Milwaukee, if I was umpteen feet behind the car in front of me and the lanes started to slow, but not my lane, and I slowed down to keep pace with the lane to my right because they were slowing pretty fast....I'd get run the hell over or bumped out of the way by the cage kissing my fender. In a metro area it's not always feasible to "keep an escape route." Actually, I would say it almost impossible when traffic is thick and constantly starting and stopping, or speeding up and slowing down. And if you're ultra paranoid about cagers and keeping an escape route and adjusting your cushion meticulously....you probably shouldn't commute in the metro area on your bike, because you'll be the one causing the accident.

Back