Biggest rat I have ever seen!!

Possum is a Marsupial.
there ya go again farm boy! There ya go again.
tounge.gif

r8
whistling.gif
I've shot several. 12 gauge slugs work best.
laugh.gif
Must not have been much left of him after that.

That's why you keep dogs around!
smile.gif

By the way all you city slickers, this is pretty funny coming from a resident of Arkansaw but 'possum actually starts with an "O", as in Opossum a mammalian chordate of class marsupialis.
umnik.gif

BTW they do bite when cornered-

Had a Heinz 57 terrier weighed 50 lbs and had a 23 inch neck, once saw him catch a treed 'possum that fell out of a fig tree, snapped his spine as he hit the ground and proceeded to eat him. "Tastes just like chicken!"
laugh.gif

Although they have an extensive history as a food source in depressed areas of the South, I don't think any of us are in a position that we need any 'possum stew...
winkold.gif

possum.jpg

That's why you keep dogs around!  
smile.gif

By the way all you city slickers, this is pretty funny coming from a resident of Arkansaw  but 'possum actually starts with an "O", as in Opossum a mammalian chordate of class marsupialis.  
umnik.gif

BTW they do bite when cornered-
Correct indeed
winkold.gif

yep they will come back to if ya feed em theres one that walks along the top of my backyard fence fairly often on his way to my neighbors house they feed him one night i came home and was putting the busa away out back, it was dark and when i bent down to pet the dog it was the possum! damn dirty little hisin creatures
guns.gif

yep they will come back to if ya feed em theres one that walks along the top of my backyard fence fairly often on his way to my neighbors house they feed him one night i came home and was putting the busa away out back, it was dark and when i bent down to pet the dog it was the possum! damn dirty little hisin creatures
guns.gif
pet him??
rofl.gif
I can visualize that error, the thing looks like a small dog in the dark and when you own one.....

He was at one end of the arcadia door when I came through the other side. He seemed pretty docile but then again I did not exactly reach down to pet it either.. just stared at me...

I just sort of reversed my step and was back in the door until I figured out what I was looking at..

He did get the O out of me for the opossum Oh chit! its a possum
laugh.gif

They have been known to kill small dogs and cats. They get into your trash cans and make one helluva mess. Just hope and pray that it doesn't decide to make a nest in your garage or around your foundation.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
PM -->
SAMBUSA @ Jan. 26 2008 said:
1277287[/ATTACH] PM]
Possum is a Marsupial.
there ya go again farm boy! There ya go again.
tounge.gif

r8
whistling.gif
I've shot several. 12 gauge slugs work best.
laugh.gif
Must not have been much left of him after that.
One I hit w/ a slug, took half his head off. It ran about 10ft and then layed down. Stopped moving about 20 minutes later.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

well I am on a cement slab and the trash can lives in the garage with the busa under video surveillance and Mr Remington..
smile.gif
And yes, I have video in the garage.. it uploads to the internet when ever the motion sensors go off

there nasty things thats for sure their not afraid, filthy, carry disease, destructive, one of these nights when the times right im gonna use my opossum tag and bag me one
guns.gif
guns.gif

guns.gif

OMG I have to tell my Possum story!
smile.gif

About ten years ago I was sitting at home watching TV on a balmy summer night so I had the door open and was watching Letha weapon 2 in the dark. Out of the corner of my eye I see something come in the front door. I spring to my feet and go into the Kitchen to see this god forsaken possum in my kitchen and he is setting up shop!!! I tried to run him off with a broom and he attacks! Hissing biting,and snarling like the miniature hell hounds they are. Vicious lil bastid I am telling you. So I cant bring myself to get the .22 and shoot him since I lived like a half mile form the Police station. So I look around and find the only thing handy which is my 8lb splitting maul. I went back into the kitchen and did him in with the blunt end of the splitting maul. Grabbed his dead azz with a pair of pliers and threw him in the trash. To this day I can still smell that little disease infested vermin.

Feeding him was a bad idea! The only thing you should feed him is lead.
laugh.gif

we see them here alot,

in the middle of the road, smashed
laugh.gif
and you do need to keep a close watch when your going around a curve and one of those things are squished, could be slick.
biggrin.gif
+1
They seem to commit mass suicide here on one night for no particular reason. I'll pass 10 of them laying dead on the road on my way to work sometimes. Last year I was following a guy in a jeep and I see a dead possum come out from underneath his jeep so I swerve only to run over the second one. Got a big jolt on the Busa. Got to work and was checking to see if his intestines were sprayed all over my bike, but nothing.

Their biggest offense is being UGLY! We have a few around our house. They don't dig, will eat mice, insects. While you don' really want them in the garden, they likely do more good than bad.

Read the Facts And FAQ pages here for more info.

http://opossum.craton.net/

Thanks Rick, no idea why I did not do that already.... does make me feel a bit better about his temporary residence
smile.gif

I would guess it has been the near 0 temps that pushed him up against the house like this..

Re: Biggest rat I have ever seen!!

Shouldn't have fed it. Now it's gonna be coming back and they are destructive. And yes they bite and they've got some wicked teeth. Their claws aren't so nice either...Mean little fuggers

they will hiss a bit, but are more afraid of you than anything else. they are not the most intelligent things and usually cause damage inadvertently. they do have a nasty bite. mainly because they eat a lot of dead things. they can reek too.

heh, as kids we would be catch one by the tail then pitch it toward a buddy. (they are not so cute when sailing through the air, mouth open, and with all their legs splayed out)

yeah, we made our own fun. :laugh:

here is a FAQ i found:
There Is An Opossum In My Yard

i've seen some people make them "pets", but wouldn't suggest it. they are best left alone or "shoo'ed" into a disliked neighbor's yard. :whistle:

here's an interesting observation: the "sugar gliders" are the Australian cousin to these and are becoming very popular as pets.

I heard the same thing from a guy from new york. He came to work going on and on about the size of the rats here. I couldn't help but laugh.:laugh:

I am originally from Southern Oklahoma and these things are everywhere. I grew up on a ranch and have lived in the country all my life. My sister-in-law did not. While visiting our ranch from OKC, she decides to go feed the barn cats. (don't know why, maybe she was tired of watching "Hee-HAW" reruns). it was about 9:30 at night and she comes in and says, "There is a cat out there hissing at me, the others will eat out of your hand, this one just hisses, I think it has rabies." Of course, it's a possum. 00 buck X2. The cats cleaned it up I guess, there was not trace of it the next mornin'. We never did tell her it wasn't a cat. :laugh:

I am from AZ... only reason I knew what it was is Animal Planet.... did I make a mistake giving it some food?

He seemed harmless enough (well from 3 feet away) They look a lot worse as road pizza (only place I have seen a real one)

I am still laughing but she is not....

If you feed it I think they keep coming back... I don't like them an don't want them around I usually shoot them with a BB gun to make them find a new place to scavenge for food.

Back