Bigdiesel's gettin a lil rusty...

BigDiesel

Registered
hey folks, got a question for the wetal-workers who know gas tanks:
big dent in the top of my tank on right side next to filler door (see pic)
Im wondering if this thing is still salvageable? not really necessary, but I'd like to hang onto it JIC, ya know? I have another tank sitn in my "storage area" (corner of living room) right now waiting to be painted, so I wont be using this for much longer...just thought I would ask if there's anything I should do to keep the rust from getting any worse so it is still a useful piece?

thanks in advance,
Scott

Bikerust_002.JPG

sand it down nice and smooth and primer it... just gotta make sure you get all the rust out when you sand it down...

+1 sloto200
Ya dont want the rust to start penetrating too deep,otherwise you will need to sandblast it off to get it clean if ever using it.
Like he said,sand it down good,and virtually any primer in a spraycan will do it.

SE IF YOU CAN HAVE IT BEAD BLASTED OR USE YOU LITTLE MUSCLES AND SAND IT BY HAND AND JUST GET SOME PRIMER AND HAVE AT IT

hey! i think that last one sounds good-whattya say I bring it by your place Randy, say, about noonish? make sure you set up the camera n the tripod!
ukliam3.gif

seal all the holes real well then make you a rubber plug to fill gas fill opening and fill with compressed air. it will pop the dent out of it, then the bodywork can begin. ive done this several times on tanks in worse shape then that.

(yetifed @ Sep. 25 2006,03:06) seal all the holes real well then make you a rubber plug to fill gas fill opening and fill with compressed air. it will pop the dent out of it, then the bodywork can begin. ive done this several times on tanks in worse shape then that.
I did the air pressure thing on my tank, it got part of the dent out and then it popped out the bottom aganst the air box. Had to take the tank off and beat the bottom back in. Its a good idea, just depends on your dent.

cool.gif

2 ways I've done it
put dry ice on it sometimes it will pop out

or they make a tool that you weld a strip of metel on and use a sliding/pull hammer on it then grind off the bead a little body work and she is good as new

(mrninja9 @ Sep. 25 2006,09:10) I AM UP FOR THE  GAS AND A LIGHTER    

WE COULD SET IT ON  YAMAHORS PORCH AND LIGHT IT AND RUN
jump9.gif

I'll bring the
lurk.gif

I have a replacement stin in storage right now...just tryin to save this one as it is not too badly damaged, IMO.

hey Chris-you know anyone who can make cellular triggers? I figure we can drop one in the tank, throw in some foam, pour in gas till faom soaks it up and send it via the Brown Bombers (aka UPS). Just tell Ben to call you when he gets it before he tears off the wrapping tape, and SUPRISE!!!!
bluegrab.gif

just keep in mind primer is just that, a primer it is used to prime the surface for the paint to adhear to, it does not protect against the elements, and if rained on the moisture will eventially cause surface rust again, so if you do get it primered, paint it asap as paint is the protection from the elements, not the primer.

Back