Big Red heating Issue in 55 degree weather!

Cuffee

Donating Member
Registered
Hello All,
The other week around 0530, I was riding into work. The temperature was about 55 degrees. The traffic was moderate. There were a lot a stop lights on this road. I noticed the temperature needle rising above the "half-way" mark between lights. I did the Muzzy fan mod. over a year ago. I did the Engine Ice mod at the beginning of the year. This "over heating" issue has just recently starting occurring. This is not a consistent occurrence. Sometimes she gets hot, sometimes she don't.

A few things...Big Red has ~15 K miles. She is well maintained. Where should I start to look to solve this problem before I get stuck in some major traffic on a hot winter day :-)

Thanks,
Donald

Bump for Rick James...

lurk.gif

(bmbusa @ Nov. 16 2006,17:47) Replace the thermostat, sounds like it's sticking occasionally.
+1 you beat me to it! i would bet that is the problem and it's cheap.

(Cuffee @ Nov. 10 2006,06:42) Hello All,
The other week around 0530, I was riding into work. The temperature was about 55 degrees. The traffic was moderate. There were a lot a stop lights on this road. I noticed the temperature needle rising above the "half-way" mark between lights. I did the Muzzy fan mod. over a year ago. I did the Engine Ice mod at the beginning of the year. This "over heating" issue has just recently starting occurring. This is not a consistent occurrence. Sometimes she gets hot, sometimes she don't.

A few things...Big Red has ~15 K miles. She is well maintained. Where should I start to look to solve this problem before I get stuck in some major traffic on a hot winter day :-)

Thanks,
Donald
Is the fan coming on or not?

(audial @ Nov. 16 2006,12:36) I'm having the same problems... check out this post I found on here while searching..
Thanks for the link. I actually took a look at that post. It had some great troubleshooting tips. I plan to pursue these tips when we get some dry weather.

(bmbusa @ Nov. 16 2006,15:47) Replace the thermostat, sounds like it's sticking occasionally.
That may be the solution. I think a thermostat is pretty cheap. Therefore, I think I am definitely going to do this. Do you know where I can purchase a thermostat?
Thanks,
Donald

(GIXERHP @ Nov. 16 2006,17:13)

Thanks,
Donald
I actually listened for the fan and don't think it came on when the temp began to rise over the half way mark. However, it eventually came on. How do I get the fan to be more consistant?
Thanks,
Donald

(Cuffee @ Nov. 17 2006,04:18)

Thanks,
Donald
I actually listened for the fan and don't think it came on when the temp began to rise over the half way mark. However, it eventually came on. How do I get the fan to be more consistant?
Thanks,
Donald
You can change the temp senser to ah honda car senser, that will make the fan come on about 20 degrees cooler! I've got to look around to find out which one i installed on my bike!

Ill get back to you later!

(GIXERHP @ Nov. 17 2006,04:23)

Thanks,
Donald
Thanks,
Donald
You can change the temp senser to ah honda car senser, that will make the fan come on about 20 degrees cooler! I've got to look around to find out which one i installed on my bike!

Thanks. I will be looking out for your response.
Thanks,
Donald

The thermostat is Suzuki Part# 17670-50F00.... know that because i'm ordering one as well just to have on hand.

I'm with some of the others on here, as to why are we having to change fan blades, switches and coolant types to keep our bikes cool. It's not like we've increased the displacement or anything that drastic. I fully believe in doing what it takes to keep the bike cool but we're re-engineering a cooling system that should have been sufficient from the factory to keep a stock displacement street bike cool.

I truly believe the major cause is the heat soaking of the radiator due to the proximity of the headers to the radiator, and combine that with the enclosed body that holds all that heat inside. If the majority of our bikes are only overheating when parked idling, or when we're stuck in traffic it would indicate it definitely has to do with air flow through the radiator, but think about those 1000 degree headers only inches away. When we're moving down the road the entire engine compartment is getting flushed out with fresh air so all that heat from the headers is getting pushed out through the body vents. If anyone has one of those hand held Digital IR temp gauges I'd be curious to see what the air temp is in the engine compartment when parked and running.

I do disagree with one part of Suzuki's engineering of the system in that the cooling fan only covers half of the radiator. If they're only going to use one fan they need to build a shroud that makes sure the fan pulls air through the entire radiator.

Once I confirm the thermostat is not the problem I am going to wrap the headers with thermal wrap before I start making any mods to the cooling system just to satisfy my curiousity.

Will, I do the muzzy fan mod? Yes.

Will I eventually add another fan? Yes, because the entire radiator needs airflow if it gets hot enough for a fan.

Will I change to engine ice? Maybe.

Will I change the temp switch? Maybe.

I agree that all of these things will help to keep the bike from over heating but I'm out to find the culprit.

If I can be sitting at a light and the fan comes on and the air getting pushed out from inside the engine compartment is burning my legs somethings wrong.

(audial @ Nov. 17 2006,06:48) The thermostat is Suzuki Part# 17670-50F00.... know that because i'm ordering one as well just to have on hand.

I'm with some of the others on here, as to why are we having to change fan blades, switches and coolant types to keep our bikes cool. It's not like we've increased the displacement or anything that drastic. I fully believe in doing what it takes to keep the bike cool but we're re-engineering a cooling system that should have been sufficient from the factory to keep a stock displacement street bike cool.

I truly believe the major cause is the heat soaking of the radiator due to the proximity of the headers to the radiator, and combine that with the enclosed body that holds all that heat inside. If the majority of our bikes are only overheating when parked idling, or when we're stuck in traffic it would indicate it definitely has to do with air flow through the radiator, but think about those 1000 degree headers only inches away. When we're moving down the road the entire engine compartment is getting flushed out with fresh air so all that heat from the headers is getting pushed out through the body vents. If anyone has one of those hand held Digital IR temp gauges I'd be curious to see what the air temp is in the engine compartment when parked and running.

I do disagree with one part of Suzuki's engineering of the system in that the cooling fan only covers half of the radiator. If they're only going to use one fan they need to build a shroud that makes sure the fan pulls air through the entire radiator.

Once I confirm the thermostat is not the problem I am going to wrap the headers with thermal wrap before I start making any mods to the cooling system just to satisfy my curiousity.

Will, I do the muzzy fan mod? Yes.

Will I eventually add another fan? Yes, because the entire radiator needs airflow if it gets hot enough for a fan.

Will I change to engine ice? Maybe.

Will I change the temp switch? Maybe.

I agree that all of these things will help to keep the bike from over heating but I'm out to find the culprit.

If I can be sitting at a light and the fan comes on and the air getting pushed out from inside the engine compartment is burning my legs somethings wrong.
Thanks for the part number. Please keep me informed on what you discover while trying to find the "culprit". I am hoping that by replacing the thermostat it will solve my problem. I have added the Muzzy fan and Engine Ice and as you can see the problem still exist.

The bike is pretty solid other that the cooling system. I have an '06 750. I have not had one problem with the cooling system on very hot day while stuck in traffic.

(Cuffee @ Nov. 17 2006,04:49)
(GIXERHP @ Nov. 17 2006,04:23)

Thanks,
Donald
Thanks,
Donald

Thanks. I will be looking out for your response.
Thanks,
Donald
+1

Just wanted to give everyone an update...This morning after I checked the coolant level and it was in the normal range. I started Big Red and let her run until the fan kicked on. The fan kicked on when the needle on the temperature gauge was in the center. I put my hand down near the fan and could feel the air being pushed away from the engine. I also noticed how loud the fan was.

Then the fan cut off and the needle was still in the center of the temperature gauge. Then about 7 minutes later the fan cut on again and then cut off after about 30 seconds or so. This was the pattern until i cut the engine off.

So from this I assume everything is ok since the needle never went above the center line and I could actually feel the heat being pushed away from the engine.

What do you think?

Back