BIG BORE KIT OR TURBO?????

hayabusa36

My Busa And I. Till Death Do Us Part.
Registered
race.gif
 Well the time has come for me to make my baby faster. The options are big bore with cams and head work. OR HAHN turbo kit. Whats better and more reliable?
firedevil.gif

Well as I've read several times on here, you can't push the motor over 350hp without pistons and valve springs. If your goal is to gain more than that. Do them both. If all you want is 230hp and a dependable bike go big bore.
beerchug.gif

As I understood it a turbo will require tuning and repairing often.

The biggest question is, do you want to work on your bike alot?

lurk.gif
Well thats what I mean. I dont want to have to worry about breakdowns or blowing up the motor.
firedevil.gif

what are you looking for as far as gains? what's your budget? What kind of ridding do you do? How mechanicaly inclined are you?

you may want to read some of the turbo vs boverbore threads to get some opinions on each.

I would like to see between 200hp and 230hp at the wheel. Ride in only in nice weather and not at night. When I ride my average speed is 100mph. I change the oil every 600 miles and have been a auto tech for over 30 years. I bring my bike to a well known turbo/performance busa shop. (powerhouse)
lurk.gif

From what I've seen, the bang for the buck is boost. The cost of a stage one turbo is less getting the same horsepower from all motor. If you don't need the power all the time, nitrous is another option. Relatively inexpesive to set up, but it costs $$$ every time you use it.

you could get away with a very basic turbo kit and keep the boost level low. This way you don't have to put a spacer in the block and you wont loose as much torque down low. The one thing to be careful of is the FMU (fuel regulator) the mechanical ones are a bit finicky. Nice low boost, good gas and you'll meet the hp levels you're looking for on any dyno. The turbo will be nice n small so it should have a good kick at a 4-5k. Just don't get greedy with the boost. boost creep shouldn't be an issue either.

Isnt there a heat issue with the turbo? And I refuse to exted the swing arm, I hate that stretched look. Will that make a differnce on useable HP? I dont want it to be wheelie happy.

Ive been helping my buddy out with his Hahn turbo and port fueler setup. It doesn't look likle a to bad of setup but been having a lot of problems with it.
After having Schintz tune it to make it run somewhat right, it over heats whenever you riding in town or stopped at red lights. As for break downs its a common thing, but if you how to fix it and dont mind working on your bike every week or two (replacing fuel lines, tryn to figure out why it wont run, ect.) it might not be that bad. I will tell you though it will set you back in the seat when it is working right.
If you dont wanna do wheelies not so sure turbo is your cup of tea. It dont matter what gear your in as soon as the Hahn kit spools up and makes boost look out your on the rear tire looking at the clouds. With pratice you can keep it down, but dont think of dropping a gear or 3 and grabbing a whole hand full of throttle without lifting the front end.
My buddy ended up putting a small stretch on the back 3" and it made a huge difference.

(hayabusa36 @ Sep. 12 2007,17:38) Isnt there a heat issue with the turbo? And I refuse to exted the swing arm, I hate that stretched look. Will that make a differnce on useable HP? I dont want it to be wheelie happy.
there aren't heat issues with a mild turbo system. If there are it may be related to something else.

Remember you're wrist controls it all... you don't need an extended arm. It all comes down to throttle control. In other words if you wack the throttle open and let a turbo spool up it'll lift the front when it hits it's peak in the lower gears.

Play with you're gearing too and you'll find your happy point.

Remember you're wrist controls it all... you don't need an extended arm. It all comes down to throttle control. In other words if you wack the throttle open and let a turbo spool up it'll lift the front when it hits it's peak in the lower gears.
And you can do wheelies on command when you're feelin froggy

The big bore set up would be best for twisties; the turbo may have your rear tire stepping out. Wheelies are going to be a fact of life for either engine modification
rant.gif

Back