Bicyclist vs Pedestrian

MelodicMetalGod

Registered
Check this out:

http://superstoker.com/video/biker-hits-pedestrian-but-they-cancel-each-other-out/

Who's right and who's wrong here? The two involved seem to agree that it's an equal blame scenario.

I disagree. The biker turned the wrong way onto a one way street, split lanes against traffic and took over the left lane traveling against traffic. His speed was silly for riding that close to parked vehicles (one door opened suddenty and he would've been over). To top it all off, he had something in his hands preventing him from getting to the brakes AT ALL! In fact, he never dropped his cargo. Instead, he used his cargo laden hand to punch the pedestrian in the torso.

The ped, well, yeah...he didn't use a cross walk. He was, however, looking for traffic in the direction it SHOULD be coming from.

For my money, the rider was at fault and, as with all things, has the greater responsibility since he's the one bringing more energy to the table.

For the record: I loathe the fact that bicyclists are allowed to exercise traffic right and then behave like heathens at their whim. They're a danger to themselves and everyone around them with that behavior. When I was a motorcycle courier in DC, the bicycle couriers were just comin' into play and they would wiz around like drunk hornets anywhere that gravity would allow. In one 4 week period I was almost blasted by one as I exited a storefront onto the sidewalk, another put himself into the side of a van and onto the pavement - he then quickly got up and chased after the van and then tried to hit it by hurling his krptonite lock down the road after the van, and I saw another biker laid out in one of the busiest intersections in DC just before rush hour.

So, ya might say I'm biased. But hopefully I'm just biased to the fact that everyone else is held accountable while they do as they please. Come to think of it, are they part of our government? :whistle:

That vid was Awesome !!! I watched it like 6 times just before impact.

"cancels out, its ok, keep walking"

Priceless !!!!

both parties ok

no harm no foul

people do dumb things every day, these guys just took it in stride

:beerchug:

Oh yeah

by the way I always look BOTH ways before crossing the street (wasnt everyone taught this as children? look left right left)

and I dont just go on a green light... I look both ways first.

and this vid demonstrates the reason why.

thanks for posting it :thumbsup:

That vid was Awesome !!! I watched it like 6 times just before impact.

"cancels out, its ok, keep walking"

Priceless !!!!

both parties ok

no harm no foul

people do dumb things every day, these guys just took it in stride

:beerchug:

I'd be surprised if the pedestrian was truly OK. I'm guessing he's got some bruising and pain that night/the next day.

Oh yeah

by the way I always look BOTH ways before crossing the street (wasnt everyone taught this as children? look left right left)

and I dont just go on a green light... I look both ways first.

and this vid demonstrates the reason why.

thanks for posting it :thumbsup:

Absolutely. Never trust that folks follow the rules. As motorcyclists we are already keenly aware of this, but the average ped...well, you saw the vid. :laugh:

Back