Beware when shopping on craiglist......

Speed King

Banned
This is the second time in two weeks something like this has happened around where i live, thats why i never shop on Craiglist:

Minn. Family Robbed Responding To Craiglist Ad

A Minnesota man responding to a Craigslist ad to buy a car was robbed of $2,100 and his vehicle after a man pulled a gun and threatened to kill him and his family.

St. Paul police say the victim had been looking for a car for a relative when he brought $2,200 to a meeting on Thursday night.

The suspect pulled a gun on the man around the corner while his wife and 1-year-old child waited in their vehicle. The robber then made them drive about two miles before forcing the family out of the car. He gave the victim one of the $100 bills, telling him to take the bus home.

Police have not yet identified the suspect.

i'm sure he took his wife along to drive the extra vehicle home if he bought it but i wouldn't have walked into that situation without at least one gun on me! no way would i go into a stranger's territory with that much cash and no weapons!!

i have bought and sold tons of stuff on cl. everytime someone comes here i always meet them outside. everytime i have went to their place i have been packing my little keltech

Meet somewhere that has surveillance. Most big chain gas stations do for drive offs and such. People are using whatever they can to get over on a new crowd these days. Sucks but just the way its become, can't trust anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've made several transactions on CL myself. It's important to always try to set the meeting place and the time. I realize this could be difficult if you are the buyer but insist upon things to better protect yourself. As suggested meet in heavily populated areas and show up early and sit slightly away from where you are to meet. Know ahead of time what the other person will be driving. Taking your own gun isn't a bad idea either but remember if a gun is already pointed at you it takes a lot less time for the robber to pull the trigger then it does for you to pull yours out and shoot. Take a friend or two with you and one person (contact person) talks to the prospective buyer/seller and the other/s serve as cover. This is commonly used in law enforcement and military interactions. Sounds a little excessive but unfortunately its a not so nice world we live in. (But job security for me)

I've made several transactions on CL myself. It's important to always try to set the meeting place and the time. I realize this could be difficult if you are the buyer but insist upon things to better protect yourself. As suggested meet in heavily populated areas and show up early and sit slightly away from where you are to meet. Know ahead of time what the other person will be driving. Taking your own gun isn't a bad idea either but remember if a gun is already pointed at you it takes a lot less time for the robber to pull the trigger then it does for you to pull yours out and shoot. Take a friend or two with you and one person (contact person) talks to the prospective buyer/seller and the other/s serve as cover. This is commonly used in law enforcement and military interactions. Sounds a little excessive but unfortunately its a not so nice world we live in. (But job security for me)
+1 some good points made.

I love a good Craigslist story.

Had a local one in the newspaper two days ago.

Soccer mom decides to hire a tutor for her FIVE YEAR OLD SON. Apparently it's one of the "in" things these days that impresses the Joneses next door.

Idiot goes to Craigslist to hire a tutor.
Hires some 27 year old creep off Craigslist.
Turns out creep was accused of molesting two kids in 2002 which somehow got aquitted and one charged kicked down to battery.
In 2003 he was accused again but the case got thrown out because the 8 year old couldn't quit throwing up in anticipation of the court date.
In 2005 he was accused again by several students and that one was dropped to a misdemeanor.

Mother puts 5 year old son in basement with the newly hire tutor and after several weeks worth of lessons the kid tells his mom about some uncomfortable touching. The parents then decide to do a background check and find the creep used a fake name. To top that off the father's brother is a cop who simply ran the creep's license plate # and came up with everything.

Mind boggling part is there are people congratulating the parents for their quick actions and detective work! Same week a few miles away a mother left her kid in a car while she ran into a store and that mother is now in jail and the kid is in a foster home.

The average grown adult man will play it safe when buying and selling a freakin' used car part off craigslist and yet this BIMBO hires a stranger off craigslist, invites him into her home and puts him in a basement with her 5 year old son. :banghead:

Like previously said. I try to always be on speaker phone with a friend when I do a deal with a random. I have been lucky so far, and I always make them meet me at a bank or at a gas station. I always make them pull up to a pump because it is well lit and they always have cameras pointed at you.

Several good points mentioned here. The important #1 priority for me is I am responsible for my own protection, and my families protection. Some people probably think that may be a little extreme but there is not enough LEOs to protect everyone so I pack my weapon wherever I go(CCW). I do not go into a situation where I may possibly be the proverbial Lamb offered for slaughter. Meeting at a large gas station(Hess, 7-eleven, etc.) is great or a Sheriff/Police sub-station, DMV, bank, etc....

It's unfortunate but, as mentioned, people suck and some will do whatever to take what they want from you.....

Hearing things like this just make me feel even better for making the decision to carry a firearm at all times.

They tried that here once, but they guy didn't realize that he pulled his gun on two off-duty police officers. He got more than he asked for. :laugh:

all good points...i have never shopped on craigslist...ebay only..

happened here in dayton just last night. cpl from cinci came up from cinci last night and met a guy in west dayton to sell him a car. Ended in gun fire when the buyer robbed them and shot them and took the car.

when i bought my bike, i rolled up with almost 7500 bucks in cash. you bet your monkey ass i was packing, so was my 280 lb backup man. guy gave me the keys and paperwork, i gave him the cash, went our separate ways, good to roll. still, i was pretty jumpy.

this is not a new thing......

although there is more media coverage now, things like have always happened.

the media want people to think this is new, but its not.

Back