BEWARE: TireRack.Com

gabusa

Donating Member
Registered
Alcon,

I just want everyone to beware. I was on the website going to order some tires and after entering my CC info I was directed to a page stating Mastercard Secure for more protection. They even had a bogus info statement from my bank (USAA). The link wanted me to enter my birthday, Last 4 of SSN and my name again. I did not take the bait and I immediately called TireRack to let them know the problem. Take care all and watch your online orders because I could have easily become a ID theft victim.

I would hope every member here knows not to give any part of their SS number to buy anything

Alcon,

I just want everyone to beware. I was on the website going to order some tires and after entering my CC info I was directed to a page stating Mastercard Secure for more protection. They even had a bogus info statement from my bank (USAA). The link wanted me to enter my birthday, Last 4 of SSN and my name again. I did not take the bait and I immediately called TireRack to let them know the problem. Take care all and watch your online orders because I could have easily become a ID theft victim.

Are you saying that Tirerack was hacked? Or that you mistyped the name? How did they know who you bank with?

Did you have a secure (https) connection?

I've seen that same mastercard thing on TONS of sites I've ordered from. I've never given my info, but I know exactly what you're talking about. Tirerack isn't the only site with it, by far.

Honda asks for a SS or DL # and owner information for any control part. But other then very rare cases like that you're spot on.

Wonder what you mean by Control part??? here if you want a duplicate key you would need a registration for the bike to get the key cut from a code. not a SS

thanks for the info :beerchug: they are who i usually use for tires for the cages

Mastercard Securecode is a identity theft "prevention" program, not a scam. Please read up on it here.

MasterCard SecureCode | Credit Card Security| MasterCard®

Secondly, giving the last 4 digits of your social can do no harm. Last 4 is a common identification technique. It's always a good thing to be on the lookout for scams, but it's also wise to know when people are looking out for your best interest. :beerchug:

Wow, just ordered from the too, in fact I need to go my installer this morning. :laugh:

If I order online, I call and give the info. I will not give info on the internet.
I am old school in that respect. When you hit the "enter" button.......it's
"out there". Of course, when I went to school, we did our homework on a shovel with a piece of charcoal,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If I order online, I call and give the info. I will not give info on the internet.
I am old school in that respect. When you hit the "enter" button.......it's
"out there". Of course, when I went to school, we did our homework on a shovel with a piece of charcoal,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a lot of customers that share your concern. But think about this for a moment, every time you buy something in person with a credit card, you risk the same thing. Additionally, when you call an order in over the phone, you do not have the secure software to protect you. Instead, you have someone possibly writing your information down on a piece of paper, and possibly tossing it in the garbage where someone could easily find it. Yes, these are worse case scenarios, but just be aware that the possibility for fraud exists everywhere. I hate the fact that people have demonized the internet for being dangerous when it's more likely that it's safer than a face to face transaction these days.

Tire Rack may also be trying to protect themselves. Credit Card Fraud is rampant and tires would be an easy thing to sell off, so i'll bet TR gets scammed all the time.

I've had it happed to me enough already. You have NO IDEA how many people don't even know the Billing Address of their OWN CREDIT CARD....

Newegg has that and after you enter the information you set a password. from then on you use the password to verify you are you.

Wonder what you mean by Control part??? here if you want a duplicate key you would need a registration for the bike to get the key cut from a code. not a SS

Frame, special edition plastics, engine cases, etc. Personally I was a bit suprised too.

HONDA.jpg

That is actually there to verify it is you using the card for your protection. I can understand why you would think differently, but it is legitimate.

Legit, but i always try and figure out how to NOT use it hahaha...

I dont trust them not to sign me up for something by clicking the wrong box, or some check box... so i always decline to enroll.. LOL....

Back