Better for landspeed: G1 or G2

Mythos

Registered
I've been told the gen 2 busa is the same frame as the gen 1 and the motor is also the same except it has bumped up compression and a longer stroke to increase the displacement. Of course, the brakes, headlights and body have been updated.

Is there any reason to suspect that the second gen was adapted less to landspeed runs than the first gen? Since the first gen was created in the pre-speed limiter era, I wonder if 200 mph+ has become less of an engineering concern for the second gen bike since it must be limited to 186 when stock anyway.

Does it seem that current landspeed records are being set with the second gen more than the first?

Mythos

The Gen 1 is by far more aerodynamic than the Gen 2... my only basis for this statement is of course because I have a Gen 1 :laugh:

JK on this I have no idea:whistle:

Aero wise there is no significant difference. Of course the new 08 motor is improved and overall has higher potential for an all motor bike. For turbo or nitrous I think the Gen 1 may be better because of the lower compression.

I have not personally ran the gen II in a wind tunnel but have seen the Gen 1 there. And I have heard directly from someone that was in a tunnel with a gen II and they said it was identical basically from an aero point of view.

It would be interesting to see how a purely stock, unrestricted ECM Gen II would do with a top speed.

Of course nothing would stick to the record books because of it merely not being "stock" due to changed ECM. But, still, it would be nice to know how it would do with the different gearing and increased displacement.

It would be interesting to see how a purely stock, unrestricted ECM Gen II would do with a top speed.

Of course nothing would stick to the record books because of it merely not being "stock" due to changed ECM. But, still, it would be nice to know how it would do with the different gearing and increased displacement.

I don't think either would do 200 stock even with speed limiters disabled. The gen1 that made it in before the "gentleman's agreement" might do 200 indicated but we all know how accurate that is.

It would be interesting to know what a stock G2 would do flat out with speed limiter disabled by a Speedohealer. Someone around here must have done it by now. I'm planning to use my busa (G1 or G2??) as a landspeed bike so I'm first looking at which is fastest stock. The compression issue mentioned above is a good example of newer not necessarily being better.

Mythos

Gen-II is geared shorter. Unrestricted I'd say 195ish, no chance of 200 without a gear change. Same as 99-07....

From a bolt-on and go point the Gen-II is the better package. HOwever, if you are looking to TURBO the Gen-I would be easier because of the compression and SS valves. I've heard (don't know what power level) that you are going to have to change valves if you get crazy with a Gen-II.

Personally I think once people feel out the Gen-II it's going to be the better package because of the double injector setup. Only my opinion but I think tuning wise it will have an edge...

As far as aero, BOTH are the BEST platform to use for LSR. I've read in a couple articles that they improved the aero just slightly over the Gen-I but I don't know how true that is. I've yet to see a test or comparison with them both in the wind tunnel.

Sounds like that would be a good article........rotts4u..... :whistle:

Thanks for all the great info in the past.... :beerchug: :laugh:

Gen-II is geared shorter. Unrestricted I'd say 195ish, no chance of 200 without a gear change. Same as 99-07....

From a bolt-on and go point the Gen-II is the better package. HOwever, if you are looking to TURBO the Gen-I would be easier because of the compression and SS valves. I've heard (don't know what power level) that you are going to have to change valves if you get crazy with a Gen-II........

Thanks for input G-B. Would lowering compression not be as simple as installing a thicker head gasket and of course, tuning for that as well as the turbo.

Mythos

I've heard (don't know what power level) that you are going to have to change valves if you get crazy with a Gen-II.

I've been looking into turboing my 08. after talking to a few local builders and velocity racing, anything more than 4-6 lbs and you should really think about changing out the valves. Then again, if you're going far enough to try to make over 240hp, why not spend a little more cash for a head spacer to lower the compression, get some valve/head work done and maybe swap the pistons. All the research I've done has been pointing to the fact that if you're going to turbo a bike, and do it right, it is NOT a cheap proposition.

If you are going to lower compression then a spacer plate is what you need. However, some people just wanted to dump in C16 and not mess with the motor so that's why the Gen-I is cheaper/easier. If you are going to do it right and build the motor, I think the Gen-II will show in the results... :thumbsup:

JC,

I'm about to call you for some baseline numbers and tuning on my LSR project. Getting ready for March... :beerchug:

8.5 mph might not mean a whole lot to everybody but how quick each hit top speed makes a lot of difference. I'm guessing the 08 was a little faster and about 2 seconds quicker. 2 seconds is a lot of time when you're talking 12 seconds to 14 seconds.

Mythos

I've been told the gen 2 busa is the same frame as the gen 1 and the motor is also the same except it has bumped up compression and a longer stroke to increase the displacement. Of course, the brakes, headlights and body have been updated.

Is there any reason to suspect that the second gen was adapted less to landspeed runs than the first gen? Since the first gen was created in the pre-speed limiter era, I wonder if 200 mph+ has become less of an engineering concern for the second gen bike since it must be limited to 186 when stock anyway.

Does it seem that current landspeed records are being set with the second gen more than the first?

Mythos
Aero wise I've heard its pretty much a wash. Of course the 2nd gen puts out a little more power stock for stock. But if you wanna go turbo or nitrous the 1st gens the bike to use. The 2nd gens higher compression, TI valves, and softer valve springs hold it back when it comes to boost or gas. The 1st gen thrives on the stuff :thumbsup:

Back