Better city MPGs

jbusa80

Registered
I have an 06 Busa and I averaged between 33-35 mpg with the driving being mainly the work commute or joyriding around town. My friend who rides a gsxr 750 said he rides around town in 6th gear and he gets better gas mileage. I tried it and now I get 39 or 40 mpg for the same type of riding. I haven't tried anything else to see if I can improve it more for in town riding but the trick to the 6th gear deal is shifting around 3 grand and not letting your rpm's go to 4 grand. Apparently that is when the secondary fuel injectors kick in.

Can you put if you have your speedometer calibrated to a GPS when posting your MPG.
I have seen as high as 59MPG (not calibrated on GENII busas. I have also heard as speedos being as much as 9% off from the factory.
I get an average of 39 MPG (GPS calibrated with a speedo DRD) on my 09 with an Aprapovic full 4-2-1

add a tire size difference such as a 180/50/17 uncalibrated and could be as much as a 12% off

Shift like your owners manual states and you'll never run out of gas.

I think they want you to shift at 12mph into second gear.

I probably shift at 40mph. ha!
Posted via Mobile Device

K8 down 3 teeth in the rear = dead on at 80 with a gps.
63-65 mpg on the highway :cheerleader:

Well I don't know then. I don't rely on the bike odometer's mpg readout. I just fill the tank up every time and reset my trip 2 meter. Then next time I fill up divide the miles on trip 2 by the amount of gallons I just put in.

It was accurate the way I normally drive which is more like shifting to 2nd gear at 40 mph but driving in 6th it was off 5 mpg.

According to the guy who is doing my dyno tune this weekend, I should gain 2-3 mpgs and a few HP.I get anywhere between 38-42 mpg depending on how I ride but I am sure mine is running rich with the pipe on there.

That isn't bad. I don't think I have ever tried to figure out my mileage on the bike. I doubt I get anywhere near what you guys are reporting though:whistle:

Got this on a country backroad in top gear loafing along...if it was right...who knows...

3d0f4fcc.jpg

-Dan

You can easily get it to read a high number. Just reset it while moving and coast for 6 seconds with and it will calculate a high mpg. I would suspect you recently reset the meter to read 49.3 mpg. 50mpg is the max number you can get on the computer.

Man you must have some big towns there in the US. I can't get mine out of 3rd gear in town, and in 6th at 3000rpm to 4000rpm I was going 70mph+. What speed limits do you have in town here in the UK it's 30mph.

town speed vary from 25 up to 45 50 on some roads. yup lots of big towns. in my area there are 600 to 700 thousand.

I've never broke 40 mpg. Never. I usually get 36-38 whenever I remember to check. Ill try to check it on the way to the STL MNG.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ive gotten 40 on the highway in 6th at 80. As for in town 34-36ish, I ride in 2nd until I hit 35mph or more. Busa doesnt feels right that slow in that high of a gear. Seems like a lot of shifting to gain a few mpg's, imo.

You can easily get it to read a high number. Just reset it while moving and coast for 6 seconds with and it will calculate a high mpg. I would suspect you recently reset the meter to read 49.3 mpg. 50mpg is the max number you can get on the computer.

Nope, no reset and coast here...the route I rode to get that is flat, few curves and the full loop is 60+ miles the way I go, no trickery, just exercising restraint and loafing along in top gear. It was reading 49.9mpg when I pulled up to a stoplight on a two lane highway, and 49.3 when I pulled in at a gas station on the other side.

-Dan

Back