Best year of Busa recommendation?

testrider

Registered
Hi all,

I have a few questions that I hope you guys and gals can give me some inputs,
I have been riding a Honda 1100XX Blackbird for the last 11 years (daily commute and multi-day long trip sport-tour). I'm thinking of getting a busa to replace it.

- Are there any model years to avoid or is there a best year for the Busa?
Should I just get the latest year, either 2009 or 2010?

- If anyone has ridden both the XX and the busa. How is riding position between the 2?

- Are there after-market options for raising the clip-ons? Hard luggages (givi)? Lowering foot pegs? etc...?

- Are there any known problems for the busa?

Thank you very much in advance.
-mike-

Re: Busa recommendation?

- Are there after-market options for raising the clip-ons? Hard luggages (givi)? Lowering foot pegs? etc...?

- Are there any known problems for the busa?

Thank you very much in advance.
-mike-

Welcome to the beginning to the rest of your life Mike :welcome:

Convertabars

SuzukiBusab.jpg

Heli Bars are not as dramatic a change, but also really popular mods.

hayabusa_ajay1.jpg

hayabusa_ajay2.jpg

Hard Luggage Options - Corbin

hayabusa_beetle_bags_8.jpg

hayabusa_beetle_bags_5.jpg

hayabusa_beetle_bags.jpg

Hard Luggage Options - Givi Bags

DSC05788_GoAWOL.jpg

DSC05801_GoAWOL.jpg

DSC05778_GoAWOL.jpg

SuzukiBusab.jpg

hayabusa_ajay1.jpg

hayabusa_ajay2.jpg

hayabusa_beetle_bags_8.jpg

hayabusa_beetle_bags_5.jpg

hayabusa_beetle_bags.jpg

DSC05788_GoAWOL.jpg

DSC05801_GoAWOL.jpg

DSC05778_GoAWOL.jpg

Thank you so much, guys, for the pictures and recommendations. I have a set of Givi on my XX and I like it a lot. The top case is almost always on the bike. I put on the 2 side cases only when I'm on a long trip.

- is there some bad and good model years if I get a used one?

- how hard is it to change oil/filter? Valve adjustment?

- It doesn't matter how hard I ride my XX (from twisting the throttle hard every chance I got to triple digit sprints and anything in between), a set of tires (Michelin Pilot Road) last from 10k to 14k miles. How is tire life on the Busa?

- Same for the chain/sprockets? (My XX chain/sprockets last about 20k miles)

- and the brake pads? How are the brakes on the Busa?

Thanks again.
-mike-

Last edited:

You are getting some good longevity out of your components Mike. In the old days using softer tires, I'd was getting 2500 miles from a set. Left my house twice and came home on bald tires. :laugh: Swapping over to a sport-touring tire solved that.

Everyone has their favorites on tires. Like trying to discuss oil.

My Avon Storms

Img_0012_BolinasTire.jpg

Good balance of mileage and a bit of this.

hayabusa_gopro_2.jpg

You mention chain and sprockets. The SuperSprox is the best sprocket I've used yet. They say they last 3x longer than normal sprockets and I'm beginning to believe it. :thumbsup:

:easy:

Img_0012_BolinasTire.jpg

hayabusa_gopro_2.jpg

- and the brake pads? How are the brakes on the Busa?

The last tour I swapped out the fronts for some Galfer 1375 pads, basically once step above the HH Sintered pads, and came away simply amazed. One fingered braking the entire 1000 mile weekend. The 1375's are a performance street pad or novice race. Just awesome!

Buy: Galfer Brake Pads, Lines & Wave Brake Rotors: Street, Race, Dirt, ATV Quad | Pashnit Moto

Img_5186_F_900.jpg

And you should toss your stock rubber brake lines for braided as quickly as you can if the bike you opt to buy still has them.

Braided Galfer Lines and some 1375 pads = one finger all day long.

Img_5186_F_900.jpg

Img_8569_smoke_silver_800.jpg

I have a XX and a 08 Busa. After 1" bar spacers and the Buell pegs the bike feel like the XX. The Busa handles better, stops better and of course faster. The fit and finish is not as good as the XX, the motor is not as smooth as the XX and the head light isn't any better also.

You'll love the Busa, but I think the 14 is closer to the XX than the Busa.

PS. I have 19k miles with no problems. I tour on it, Colorado last year, Indiana last month and going to Eureka Springs next week. I'm 6' 220lbs

Oh and changing my oil is a pain in the ass unlike the ease of changing the oil in the XX

Last edited:

:welcome: i think Pashnit pretty much summed it up you can make the Busa the ultimate sport tourer:laugh:. As far as years go Suzuki so far has not imported any 2K10's to the mainland. So go out there and get you a good deal on an 09 :thumbsup:

You can't go wrong with a Busa. You'll probably get a good deal on an 09 but I'm not even sure 2010's are at the dealers yet.

there is a copy of the gen II service manual stickied here

Last edited:
Back