Best wires to power accessories...

DaReaper

Registered
HELLO ALL!!!

Whats the best wire or wires to use when adding accessories to the bike? Most of what I am doing are LEDs and other low amp draw items but I would like to be on the safe side and do this right.

I have seen somewhere when someone actually added another fuse box to the bike and was using it to power everything and it was getting its power from an ignition source so it would not have constant power but I cannot seem to find out where I saw that idea from.

You can add a fuse panel to the trunk and wire a relay so it is switched power. What year bike we talking about? I dont the pictures anymore I would post up how we set up my bike.

My bike is a 03.

Where I wanted to place it was on the front of the bike on the back of the gauges. A lot of the items I am thinking about putting on my bike will be up there or at least the buttons and controls will be there. Also I have an undertail kit with a PC on my bike and it does not allow me to have a good amount of space for what I am trying to do because I did not want to have to remove my tail fairing to replace a fuse.

I test fit a small fuse box my friend had brought from Autozone but never used. It mounts to the screws but I was thinking of just replacing the screws with longer ones to ensure everything stays mounted properly.

Do you remember which wire you used to supply power and whether or not it was constant power, ignition power or from turning the key to the on position?

here's a pic of my fuse box under the seat in case you go that way, i can reach all of the fuses to change them without too much of an issue :beerchug:

IMG_4699.jpg

here's a pic of my fuse box under the seat in case you go that way, i can reach all of the fuses to change them without too much of an issue :beerchug:

you have everything but the kitchen sink....or is that under the tank?

I call BS on this one.. There's NO WAY that's Semi's bike. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too clean! :banghead: :rofl:

There's a Brown wire with white tracer under the nose for euro running lights if you're not adding 100 LEDs

wow..

very clean.. crap load of wires on that...???

pretty sure you can control must of Russia remotely with that setup...

:laugh:

Like DO3 mentioned the power supply wire up front is one for ease...the painless brand has a few 4 or 8 fused combos...some are always powered...3 of the 8 are 12v+ and the others are switched while the key is on. Here is an example from summit / jegs...or any other elec suppy place.

painless.png

you have everything but the kitchen sink....or is that under the tank?

at least i don't have a grill for my side fairings :thumbsup:

I call BS on this one.. There's NO WAY that's Semi's bike. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too clean! :banghead: :rofl:

the bike was in pieces so i had time to clean, too busy riding when it's all put together :poke: :laugh:

wow..

very clean.. crap load of wires on that...???

pretty sure you can control must of Russia remotely with that setup...

:laugh:

captain gets the credit for that, my wiring isn't nearly as crisp and clean! :beerchug:

Semi...Thanks for the picture. You just let me know just how far I still have to go with my bike and how much I do not know. I couldn't tell you what half of what I saw in that picture goes to.

RYC1966...I was thinking of going with a kit like that hoping that it had the instructions of where to tap into to make everything work as safely as possible. My only other thought was to buy a used wiring harness and re-pin it to add the wires I needed.

dadofthree...I have been looking at that brown wire trying to figure out what it went to. I did not want to mess with it until I found out for sure what it was for.

No I am not putting 100 LEDs on the bike but I think I will be close to it. HIDs for the high and low beams that comes with wiring harness with relays...CCFL ring around my low beam with a LED ring around my high beam and a demon eye in my low beam projector bulb all in my headlight assembly. I am also adding blue and red LEDs to the bike...maybe white also...with LED front and rear blinkers with a LED daytime running light in the front blinkers. That is all I am trying to do now but I am sure that I will add more.

I have heard about a companies being able to rewind the stator to build up the charging system. Has anyone ever does this and is it needed?

Back