Best Way To Drain The Gas Tank?..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
I need to drain the 2-3 gallons still in the tank from last fall so I can get it off and ready to go to the painter. Can I put a longer piece of gas line on it, turn the key on and let the pump drain it? Or would I have more luck just turning it upside down and pouring it into a can?
Thanks.. Tom

I use a line and suck it out the "Ol school way. Just remember to pull out before spewing in your mouth.

I think you can also do like you said with a long fuel line and prime the pump......

Might be easiest to just take the tank off and tip it upside down
Posted via Mobile Device

Might be easiest to just take the tank off and tip it upside down
Posted via Mobile Device

Tank has a neck on it inside that prevents gas from coming out if you turn it upside down.

Get a 'shaker syphon' from pep boys for ten bucks.
Hose with a ball on the end of it. Stick it in and jiggle it.
Works pretty good.

I had to do this Tom and it required me to run the fuel line into a gas can and cycle the kill switch, the pump only runs a few seconds. It was a PITA.

The best way is to ride it more......:poke:

That would be my preferred way of doing it too, but.. It's been crashed since last September, and nowhere near street legal. First cop that seen me would have it on the wrecker and on the way to the impound yard in a heartbeat.
Riding it, unfortunatly, isn't an option at the moment. Getting the tank off, drained, and all the new plastic on the way to the painter is the first step on the way to being able to ride it more.:thumbsup:

Let the pump do the work :whistle:

I remove the original hose from tank ,and fit a longer one .
Connect the orange wire in the connector (unplugged) to +12V of battery and the black to ground.
will take about 90sec per gallon.
When you do it this way , you can check your fuel delivery with a stopwatch to.:thumbsup:

pic is with original hose. Better is a longer one :poke:

Umbau 002.jpg

Umbau 003.jpg

Tank has a neck on it inside that prevents gas from coming out if you turn it upside down.

Get a 'shaker syphon' from pep boys for ten bucks.
Hose with a ball on the end of it. Stick it in and jiggle it.
Works pretty good.

That's how I did it when swapping between street and track bodies.

Ok, looks like the plan will be to siphon most of it out, then hook up the pump to the battery and pump the rest out. What little might be left in it surely won't affect the painting process (hopefully).
Thanks everyone!:bowdown:

Use a rifle cleaning rod with a slotted tip to remove the last lil bit.
I put the end of a shop towel thru slot on cleaning rod and stuck it down in the tank.
Swish and fish it around a bit and it will 'leach' up the rest of the fuel.
Or you could let it sit in the sun for a day or two. It will evaporate.

I need to drain the 2-3 gallons still in the tank from last fall so I can get it off and ready to go to the painter. Can I put a longer piece of gas line on it, turn the key on and let the pump drain it? Or would I have more luck just turning it upside down and pouring it into a can?
Thanks.. Tom

I'd be inclined to dump it into a bucket, then a can

I use a primer bulb for an outboard boat motor available in the boat section of Walmart for about 12-14 bucks. Comes with it's own cut length of fuel line.

This actually gets just about every drop out of the tank and only leaves what is already in the fuel pump.

I just took mine off and turned it upside down. took 20min all together. on a gen 1
Posted via Mobile Device

Back