Best way to broadside a car?

SO Practice Practice practice.    He he he  Have the wife take shots at ya out in the Mall Parking lot...
LOL, Couldn't stop laughing when I read that.  
biggrin.gif
Would be Very Theraputic for the Wife I would think, and a great way to keep your skills up...

One tip that I perform to try and avoid that type of situation altogether......when coming up on a car about to pull-out on you.....move around on the bike to try and get their attention. It usually doesn't take much.....movement seems to generally catch their eye. I know it sounds silly because the bike is moving but it seems to work.

Yup, I swerve in my lane ALOT when approaching turning cages... It's stopped more than one vehicle dead in their tracks, Driver saying WTF was that?

It's unexpected, and it's something cars CANNOT do so it's a motion that can really set you apart from the Sea of cages.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101916265 -->

Pop a wheelie, roll up onto the hood, hit the brakes, put the kickstand down (still on the hood of the car) and pee on the windshield!  
wow.gif
I wouldn't just pee... I would leave a TURD on the windshield... hopefully a nutty turd... and not just on the windshield, I would PIN it with the wiper blades so that whne they turned them on, it would SMEAR all over...THAT would teach em a lesson!

In all seriousness though, I would try all the evasive manuveurs previously stated (depending on how things look), but if impact is unavoidable, I would keep the bike upright, slow down as much as possible, and then just fly OVER the car, not into it... I've found that theres less bodily damage by doing that... I had something similar happen but I was riding dirtbikes... I was following an ATV, and it stopped on its tracks. I just kind of "jumped" off the bike... I saw the bike crash under me, and I flew over the ATV, landed on the ground after it. I rolled for a bit and ended up on my feet. I didn't have any damage whatsoever. Of course things would be a lot different on the street, and on the busa... but you get the idea... rolling/skidding is a better way to stop than crashing into something.
Good to see people are making plans for dangerous situations BEFORE they happen. Keep it up!

a friend of mine was taking it slowly in the side street instead of flying on the highway. A stop sign was hidden behing a tree and he missed it. A car was about to cross the intersection he knew that he didn't have a chance to swerve or break. So he tought he could accelerate fast enough to pass in front of the minivan. NOT! he went from 20 to 60 in no time and hit it. He went flying 200 ft. Broken pelvis, forearm, hand, achiles tendon torn.

1-0 for minivan
sad.gif

At least a lot of these opinions make sense. On our local bike board, they were advocating jumping off the bike in the last seconds to save themselves.
wow.gif

I see vehicles pulling out in front of bikes and cars quite frequently, and the problem I see is that they see a vehicle slow down and they think you are letting them pull out.

What I do is when I see a car about to pull out, I move over in my lane to give my self more room in case they do pull out. This let's them know that you saw them and that you don't intend on stopping.

For the record, I live in a large metro city and put close to 20,000 mile a year on my bikes, and I never actually had someone pull out in front of me, mainly because I was proactive rather then watching and hoping that a car would do the right thing and not pull out in front of me. A beep of the horn or flashing of your lights is the bare minimum you should do.

If I actually had to do something if a car pulled out, is to steer towards where the car had been, meaning towards it's rear bumper. This gives you more options, or at least ensures you don't slide under a moving car. Steering to the front of a car is a bad move since you don't know how far they are going to travel, and there is no way you can get around a car in that manner if they don't stop.

Excellent thread! Although I'm always wary of things, cages, deer, ANYTHING... that could potentially enter my path I had never actually tried to play it through in my head and pre-plan what I'd do. My work has taught me the power of a prepared mind. After reading this thread though, I'm ashamed of how few ridin' scenarios I've actually played out in my mind.
blush.gif

I have to say that there are some funny a$$ replies here!
laugh.gif
When I read the thread title the first thought that crossed my mind was similar to what diesel posted. Tuck down, line up with the driver's door, and go wide fuggin' open through the farkin' door...
biggrin.gif

And Rev, I have to say that you posted some of the best info I've seen anywhere regarding how to hit a car. I think you posted somethin' along the same lines in another thread once, but it's such good information it's worth repeatin'. Makes a LOT of sense to hit the cage on the opposite end from the engine. That could greatly reduce the intensity of an inevitable impact between the bike (and you) and the cage. Good stuff, bro.
beerchug.gif

Rev has good information here.....hit the squishy quarter panels....it will have tremendous impact (no pun intended) on deceleration. Besides, those panels are really squishy these days. If you hit a 1940s Packard...it would be like a brick wall. Now a days, this stuff is like a sponge. If you hit the quarter panels in the rear of the car, you might just tumble over the trunk and your gear would then hopefully take care of you

Hell Squishy is right, I tripped and caught my elbow on my Mother's Toyota about 10 years ago, dented the shid outta the quarter panel right across the top, where you would think it would be semi tough... NOPE, Folded like taffy...

Hmmmmm.....lets see here......what's the "BEST" way to put yerself in a world of hurt.
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

I'd scrub off some speed and hope I could find an opening before hitting.......If I had to hit, I'd aim for the lowest spot of the car and fly over it rather than piling into the side of it head first, and breaking my neck......I'd rather take my chances with the superman!!!

tounge.gif

Back