Best way to broadside a car?

MeltDownZ

Registered
Let's say you're traveling along and a car pulls up to a stop sign somewhere up the road.  Being the defensive driver that you are, you slow up and keep a close eye on the driver's wheels to pick up on any stupid move he might make.  You've slowed down to about 35 mph.  Then, your worst nightmare occurs and the fuggar pulls right across your path.  Assuming swerving around is not an option, what do you do:

- Clamp down to bleed off speed and take the impact.  I'm assuming you're going to go upside-down sombersulting across the car.

- Try to lay the bike down and possibly fug up and high side into the car or luckily to a controlled slide to impact.

Or what?

I'd just like to have my mind made up before I face that situation.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101863056 -->

My thought on this type of low speed situation would be to stay upright and try as hard as you can to get slowed down and if the car happens to be directly in front of you, just hope you have scrubbed off a little speed before you hit the vehicle.

I would hate to lay the bike down and make some wild slide maneuver, just to have the moron who pulled out in front of you watch you and your wrecked bike slide down the street and then they pull away and pretend like nothing happened. Then your left with a broken bike and nobody to fault it on. If you at least hit the car, the chances are less likely that the driver will make a run for it, although not guaranteed.

ok...first off,

1. Scrubb off more speed

2. Move closer to whichever side the driver is pulling out of. If he's on the right hand side, move closer to the right hand side. If he's on the left, mover closer to the center of the lane. (This is assuming that there are no stoplights, streetlights, curbs, etc on the side of the road)

3. Keep your toes on the pegs so that you're more nimble.

4. DO NOT try to lay the bike down!!! Worst case scenario: you AND the bike slide underneath the car.

Lost a rider here...right outside my house, in the same way. Old lady pulled out, he tried to swerve a little, ended up impacting the car and sliding underneath it. He was pinned underneath for 2 hours before he died...still under the car.

I hit a car on my moped when I was 12. Goin 35mph...and then BAM! Car had pulled out before I could react. I ended up somersaulting over the car and taking some serious tumbles. No helmet, no gear...

I would say just stay on your toes..maybe even get off the seat. If you t-bone the car, then at least you cut down the chances of getting seriously hurt by your windscreen when you flip over.

And remember: tuck, roll, and then slide. The more you tumble, the more likely you're gonna break something.

Just MHO, FWIW. Stay safe, bro!

Gun it and hopefully you can pick up enough speed to f them up, too!!
tounge.gif

oh yeah...moving closer to whichever side the car is on widens your window of escape when they pull out. But again, this is assuming there's nothing on the side of the road or the oncoming lane that'll take you out.

Definitely scrub off speed. I've had to do this before (fortunately it wasn't a no-win situation, they got out of the way before I got to them.) At the MSF, they recommend that at least once a year you go out and practice your panic stops. Maybe it sounds silly, but when it's either panic stop or t-bone, it's an easy decision to make.

If swerving is no option, scrub off speed and hope a hole opens up to ride through. Just remember when you see the hole, get off the brakes before swerving.

Pop a wheelie, roll up onto the hood, hit the brakes, put the kickstand down (still on the hood of the car) and pee on the windshield!
wow.gif

WHAT! Impossible you say! I guess you've never seen the movie Torque. They can jump onto trains man.... pullin onto the hood of a car is cake!

do like bigger danno from labusas did.. haha.. aim for the back glass (this was a SUV) and just go thru one side and out the other... broke his femur i think.. but all in all he wasn't too bad off for what happened..

i think he was going quite a bit faster though.

Aim for the driver window and make two fists with the Titanium gloves you are wearing and pull a superman right through their window throwing punches as you fly by.

Just a thought
wink.gif

slow down as much as possible and hit the car, what else can you do? I mean if you have no escape route hit the car and try not landing on your head!!! Check for their insurance and proceed with the ohhhhh my back routine......Should be good for a few Busa's after they settle:)

I don't know about a broadside...but I was hit head-on by a drunk fairly early in my riding career. We were on a twisty mountain road...small 2 laner...steep drop-offs on one side and a steep bank on the other. As I came around the corner and realized I had a guy in a convertible coming directly at me and my passenger, everything slowed down...it was like I had all the time in the world to think it over. I realized that if I turned the bike either direction we were going to lose our legs...either right or left. But if I hit them head on we would prolly be flung over the car and hopefully our helmets would do their job. And thats exactly what happened...we actaully escaped with fairly minor injuries considering the situation. I caved the tank in with the family jewels (they were as big as oranges for awhile
crazy.gif
AAAssjani.gif
) and my gf broke her leg fairly badly, but we moved on with no real probs except some scars and aLOT more knowledge about how things can go bad quick
wow.gif

I hope I never have to make the broadside decision...but if I do...or anybody else does...I hope we get the "slow motion mode" and are able to make the best choice in the situation at hand. I think a good part of that will depend upon your riding experience and instincts. I try and make a habit to avoid traffic as much as possible...I use the bike for the country work mostly and the car for in town.
wink.gif

Just dont panic and grab the front brakes i did and she pulled a stoppie from hell not good fractured my fibula

OK OK, Seriously... First Bleed off all the speed you can. For your scenario to work though you wouldn't have ANY time to brake at all. I say this cause you can just about stop on a dime at 35mph. Grab them hooks like you mean it, practice your panic braking then tell me how wrong I am...

OK so impact is impending there are no options? Seriously now I was actually taught how to hit a car. Most important thing is hitting the NON ENGINE end if possible. In a car you take that all the way to the back bumper in 80% of the cases. BUT, on a bike you'll want to aim for the relatively squishy quarter panels... Good luck.

OH and practice standing on your pegs... might be real helpful if after you've bled off as much speed as possible you can get UP and over the Trunk or hood... The less solid the impact, the less damage your going to do... I haven't been there but I am guessing that the chances of you actually having the presence of mind to jump UP... may not be there. So aim for the light end (Non-engine) of the vehicle...

Otherwise, I like Diesels Gun it and take Aim... Make damn sure that the MutherFugger never gets a chance to do it to someone else...
thumbs-up.gif
Works well in cars in certain situations, has something to do with Energy Transfer and the fact that it's better to be the Hitter, than the hittie...

The actual "REAL" conventional wisdom out there I believe says Maximum Braking then cornering... DO NOT "Lay it Down". A surprising number of motorcyclists though do absolutly NOTHING... Yup, ride straight in, no brakes, no swerve, just freaking Target fixate and freeze...

SO Practice Practice practice. He he he Have the wife take shots at ya out in the Mall Parking lot...

laugh.gif

I had this happen this past september i layed it down and tumbled off to the right. The bike smacked the mini van and got all fuxked up. I kinda overpanicked and locked up but there was about five feet of what do i do. I didnt get too banged up just some nasty scars and pissed everytime i seen someone riding and i couldnt. Had to keep the cool when the lady came up and even told me i was coming. I dunno about broadsiding a car tho i think in my situation i woulda got messed up alot worse then i did.

pull to the rear of the car withdraw wepon of choic and then go to driver side and unload !!
laugh.gif

Back