Best Touring Mods

SpeedFiend

Registered
Hello everyone,
I wasn't sure where I should put this thread being my intro post, but I'm planning a trip from Arizona to Michigan in a few weeks, so I'm looking for the best touring mods for my '08. Right now, the bike is 100% stock aside from the gel seat, so I'm looking at FirstGear bags to start. I've made some 5 and 6hr trips across Az, and I've noticed my throttle hand gets sore, so I'm considering new grips or padded gloves. The first leg is Tucson to Austin, Tx in a day (we'll see if I can pull it off), so I'm planning on at least one very long day. Any suggestions for other must-have mods to for long days of riding?

A bit about myself: I'm one of those nuts who went out and bought a brand new '06 Limited as a first on-road bike, but I've survived with the bike intact for the past 5 years of riding daily to school. I bought an '08 as soon as one came in to my dealer, rode it for a semester, then stored it since the insurance was killing me, and went back to the '06. Now, I'm at grad school in Michigan and missing riding, especially with the weather getting nice again, so I'm looking at riding the GenII back here for the summer.

DSC_0088.jpg

Like I said the GenII is stock. The GenI has D&D race exhaust, PowerCommander, and the airbox mod.

Here my other toys:
n653675159_3131423_4033.jpg

Last edited:
On the throttle hand issue i use a "crampbuster",about $12.00 and most motorcycle places carry them,it lets you use the palm of your hand to hold the throttle and rest your hand,or you could buy a cruise control

And welcome to the org!!!

The best upgrade you can do is the HID headlight. I have also went up a tooth in the front to better my gas milage for long trips I have also noticed it took alot of the vibration out. I have a big problem with my hands going to sleep and being sore, I put a throttle assist on it and it helps greatly. Its about 14 bucks. Oh and make sure you have a good camera and fresh batteries cuz we will DEMAND pics :thumbsup:

Im sure that hooking a radio up to a helmet isnt really a mod.
But I would have to do that for any long trip, or else the voices in my head get too loud.

I just use an mp3 player (im old school), makes my rides so much better.
here is a litlle play list I have

Led Zep
Stones
ACDC
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynryd
The Who
Kc and the Sunshine Band
BeeGees

BTW your a lucky bastard having both a gen 1 and gen 2:beerchug:

adjustable grips and adjustable rear sets can really dial in the ergo's for you. Taller windscreen helps get the air off your chest.

Anything that improves comfort and endurance. Heli bars, throttlemeisters or cruise control, seats and peg lowering. As I said, ride and add as needed because you'll know what you need REAL SOON if you put the miles in FIRST before you take that LONG trip :beerchug:

Hey thanks for the replies. I'll probably pick up that cramp buster. What tank bags does everyone like? I wouldn't want anything too tall (or expensive). Maybe with a window for my GPS/phone.

What part of Michigan you goin to? Anywhere near Detroit I'd love to come out and meet ya

Ride safe
Posted via Mobile Device

def. get a cramp buster at least. I have throttlemeister also and they work ok. A real cruise control would be the best but its all about how much u want to spend. buell pegs would be a good addition. they really do help. risers for the handlebar maybe. have a really good rain suit just in case. something handy to clean your visor like maguirs quick detailer or plexis spray with a cpl of microfiber towels. saddle bags that are good brand and a good tank bag that can carry the things you need easy access too. and have fun and take pics and show us how the trip went. ... I always pray before i leave for a safe trip too. i think it helps:thumbsup:

Im sure that hooking a radio up to a helmet isnt really a mod.
But I would have to do that for any long trip, or else the voices in my head get too loud.

I just use an mp3 player (im old school), makes my rides so much better.
here is a litlle play list I have

Led Zep
Stones
ACDC
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynryd
The Who
Kc and the Sunshine Band
BeeGees

BTW your a lucky bastard having both a gen 1 and gen 2:beerchug:

100% on the music. Id go crazy without tunes on that long of a trip. Buell peg mod helped me greatly too, along with seat and different windscreen.

worthwhile subject. while so many are only concerned with appearance, good to see mod talks made for actual riding.

I've added three things to my 09 thus far:

-aftermarket pegs. the ones I choose are buell pegs and work great at making things more comfortable and help take advantage of tank shape without giving up ground clearance. second option would be online seller twisted throttle who also offer aftermarket pegs for the hayabusa. either is better than stock.

-windshield. the stock shield is absolutely worthless. I chose the MRA Vario windshield. It has an adjustable spoiler and does an admirable job of allowing rider to stay upright even at high speeds and aids in wind reduction and overall comfort. It is constructed well and made in Germany. I have not tried the other touring shields but have heard positive feedback. just remember to put stock shield in plastic recycle bin. (pic shows 7-position adjustable spoiler)

-helibars. I've installed helibars, which slightly rise, move rearward, and widen grip position. They are not a drastic change, however when combined with improved pegs, they definitely improved comfort and I'm happy with them and have no regrets. (pic shows bars "dogleg" as opposed to stock which is straight)

Keeping in mind this style of motorcycle was not made with comfort a priority and is not a full touring bike, these mods (and others, such as your gel seat) make the motorcycle better for all street riding, especially longer rides.
Even the cheapest cars have cruise, I with these more expensive bikes would have it also. Just some thoughts. Thanks for reading.

P1010180.jpg

P1010181.jpg

Ann Arbor is only about 45 minutes south of me. For cheap comfort buy a set of Grip Puppies. They thicken up the grips, are softer and one of the best mods I've found.

I tried the Crampbuster and hated it. Felt like I was gonna give too much gas at low speed, so if you want one get up and you can have mine.:thumbsup:

For music I have a set of Thumper brand helmet speakers, they are relatively cheap and work well.

Throttlemeisters work sufficient for a lower dollar "cruise" and they look nice.

Here's what I have done for comfort mods.

Gel seat, lowered pegs, Heli bars, throttlemeister, crampbuster, double bubble screen.

cheers
ken

Back