Best starter bike

I started off with a 88 GSXR750 and alot of people said I was going to kill myself and that was 11 years ago. It is all up to the rider. If you are willing to go slow and learn the right way, I would say you can start off on either a 600 or a 750. Definitely take the MSF Safety Course.

YAMAHA 600R, not r6. Not as sexy looking as the r6, but much more forgiving.

I'd buy one that's 3-4 years old (~$4000 or less) ride it hard (I mean put some miles on it) 6 months to 1 year and then upgrade to what you want. Be sensible to the throttle and she's less likely to bite your bung hole!!
laugh.gif

I think you'd be more than happy on an SV650 or SV650S...sit on each and see which one feels more comfy.  My leftover '04 SV650 is my 4th bike and I don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon.  It's an absolute blast and more power than you'll need especialy as a new rider.  I'm about the same height and weight as you are and you'd greatly benefit with replacing the stock fork springs and oil with ractech ones suited for your size.  It's about a $200 mod including labor by a shop and makes a world of difference.  
Just my .02
580P0001955.jpg

<!--EDIT|skater69
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118592470 -->

I just got through selling an '05 Yellow S Model today. Nice bike.

I of course want a Hayabusa more than anything but I agree  and surrender to the fact that it is not a good starter bike, but what would be? I'm moving to Downtown Toronto and would rather have a bike than a car, even though the rx-8 is pretty small. I'm looking at something that's safe(for a bike) and looks really nice, I'm looking at the Interceptor ABS, I don't want a Ninja because they are so common. What do you guys think?
Interceptor would be a great choice man. Linear power delivery, wide powerband, great brakes. The new ones have all kinds of bells and whistles. Hondas are very reliable, go for it!

Back