Best starter bike

rx8busa

Registered
I of course want a Hayabusa more than anything but I agree and surrender to the fact that it is not a good starter bike, but what would be? I'm moving to Downtown Toronto and would rather have a bike than a car, even though the rx-8 is pretty small. I'm looking at something that's safe(for a bike) and looks really nice, I'm looking at the Interceptor ABS, I don't want a Ninja because they are so common. What do you guys think?

Any 600 should do. As to which one, go around and sit on a few. The one you feel comfortable on is the one you should get. If you're 250lbs or more you may wanna think about the 750 though. (I'm not speaking of the Katana in any of those 2 engine sizes).

The 600s still require some sort of riding knowledge though. If you have none at all, shop around in the 500s or borrow a friend's dirtbike and go off-road.

Actually, I learned on a dirtbike myself and I think that's a better route. It trained me to look ahead as opposed to 5 feet in front of me. Also after riding on such rough terrain, the road felt like a cakewalk. It really helps to establish a much greater sense of balance. Also, you may go down a few times as a beginner. It's much better to do it in grass or dirt as opposed to concrete. The only thing you must adjust to is the much higher speed potential on a streetbike and the addition of traffic. But as far as learning the concepts of balance, throttle control, braking, and shifting ... to me ... a dirtbike is the best way to go.

And welcome to Hayabusa.org!

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117978934 -->

The newer 750 gsxr are not good starter bikes. Too powerful and too light. Too twitchy.

The busa is a safer starter bike in my opinion between the two. Not that I would recommend either.

Start off with a Kantana, Shadow, Vstar, etc. Anything under 100 hp. Even the new 600 sport bikes will scare the sh*t out of new rider. Suzuki makes a nice 500 - pretty sporty looking bike. Honda has the 599.

I would the the katana 600 is a good option. I started out last may on a 2000 Katana 600 and it was plenty for me for a couple months and was ready to move up. From Katana to Busa seemed so natural. But its probable more like Kat, Bandit, Busa.

Oh, ya I've spent a couple months riding on a dirt bike and was really getting used to it when I let my friend ride it and bent the rim. on the dirt bike I only wiped out once and that was on like my 3rd time. It was only a 200 though. BTW I was thinking how height and weight would affect the size of the bike, I'm 5'11 220lbs if it means anything.

I would say the Katana 750 is a good bike. You wouldn' out grow it too fast. Only downside is body fairings. If you drop it, you'll damage the fairings. Getting a dirtbike is a good idea. But if that's not your cup of tea, I would suggest searching for a nice used bike with minimal fairings that would not hurt your feelings if it gets dropped.

I think you'd be fine on the choice you mention, the 800 Interceptor. It is one of the best all-around motorcycles I've ever ridden, and with a wise and judicious rider it could be utilized as a beginner bike that would not need to be traded in for a "real bike" once you've progressed past the beginner stage. Downside is the price on those.

welcome to the board. I rode dirtbikes growing up but never owned one bigger then an 80. My first street bike was a CBR600 and it was great.

Check out the 2005 Kawasaki K750S. Not a "Ninja". Not a Sportbike, but sporty. At 80hp decent acceleration, fuel injection, in-line 4. Handles well. No side fairings to screw up. At $7K cheap to own & cheap to insure. Will handle small to big riders fairly easily. Good all around machine.

Welcome to the board ....
biggrin.gif

...I learnt to ridemotorcycle on a 100CC ... so I wont be able to give you any advice
laugh.gif

I would the the katana 600 is a good option. I started out last may on a 2000 Katana 600 and it was plenty for me for a couple months and was ready to move up.
Well I guess it all depends on your learning curve. Personally I never recommend the Kats for that reason alone. 9 times out of 10, they are quickly grown out of in a matter of months.

I'm not saying you're wrong for recommending it, I'm just explaining why I wouldn't do so.

As for me recommending the 750 if he was a big guy, that's because 600s cry for their mommys with 250lbs+ pilots. Also like the Kat, in a matter of months he would more than likely be looking for something that could handle his weight.

Again, I'm only explaining why I made those recommendations.

250 500 ninja's, 600's, The GS500F, The SV 600/600S, Maybe even a Katana 600/750, or a V-Storm 650.

dr z400 supermotard ,Wish I had one !!! sv650s this bike kicks butt

<!--EDIT|race1gun
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118045742 -->

I of course want a Hayabusa more than anything but I agree  and surrender to the fact that it is not a good starter bike, but what would be? I'm moving to Downtown Toronto and would rather have a bike than a car, even though the rx-8 is pretty small. I'm looking at something that's safe(for a bike) and looks really nice, I'm looking at the Interceptor ABS, I don't want a Ninja because they are so common. What do you guys think?
I think an Interceptor ABS is a very good choice. So much so, we just got back yesterday from picking up one for my brother. It will be his first street bike. However, it was not my first choice. I wanted him to try a SV650/SV650S. The look did not appeal to him (even with the lowers on the s) and he started leaning toward various 600 r bikes. I showed him a picture of a late VFR800 and he liked it. Sent him down to sit on one and that was enough.

Possible negative issues: I am a fan of the linked braking and ABS for street use! However, it could encourage the development of some bad habits. If the rider starts depending on the linked brakes to apply the rear brake instead of using the pedal, what happens when he gets another bike? Technology is no substitute for proper training, skills development, and practice.

Plastic, a naked bike will receive much less damage from a very low speed drop.

On the positive side: The bike was fun to ride. The throttle response at 3000 rpm was very good. A 600 would require very frequent downshifting compared to the VFR. The VFR and SV are much more forgiving of improper gear selection and improper throttle input. The brakes worked very well, but didn’t get a chance to test the ABS. I will do so today.

Whatever you pick, search for a nice used bike and even consider one that has slight cosmetic damage (only if discounted appropriately) . If you buy right, you should be able to sell it for close to what you gave when you decide to trade up.

I think you made a very mature decision to start out with something a bit more manageable than a Busa. Most of the time we have to much difficulty checking our inflated ego (and “machoismâ€￾) at the door when it comes time to weigh these decisions. I think you will do well with a Hayabusa when the time comes.

Get the Busa! and just take it slow, like the rest of us! It's just like dating a woman, you have to wait 3 months before you get some!

Get the Busa! and just take it slow, like the rest of us!  It's just like dating a woman, you have to wait 3 months before you get some!

Speak for yourself 3 MONTHS... Damn!!! Better hope the BUSA is not like that and waits 3 Months!!!

ices_rofl.gif

<!--EDIT|FAKK2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118028688 -->

Back