Best slip on for performance?

BadNasty08

Registered
I know slip ons are mainly for looks & less weight, but is one better than the others for a performance gain?
If one is better, which one is it?

Thanks

Not really. Unless you lose the cat you gain nothing in power. You can improve the sound but the best thing about slip one is the weight loss. On a gen 2 the stock cans are heavy as hell because they are designed to last without repacking them. When I put on my R77 carbons I dropped over 20 pounds and the difference in handling was noticeable. Plus they sound and look great. Only drawback is you have to replace the fiberglass packing every 1ok miles or so.

I know the B-King system is slightly longer and different but we ran two Kings
back to back on the same dyno. Both similar age, mileage, condition.
One had twin Yoshimura cans, one was stock.
Both had very similar A/F readings and neither would have had huge gains from a remap.
The Yoshi cans were lighter, looked better, sounded better.

The stock bike made 1hp more.

Not saying stock is better, no two bikes are the same, but the aftermarket cans certainly didn't free anything up.

Slip ons are for show n sound. You want HP gains gonna have to go with a full exhaust

Actually the slipons and the full exhaust on the Yoshi R77s are similar cost because the full exhaust only has one can. Pretty easy choice there for me.

I think this would get more traffic if you named the thread "Best Strap-on Performance". You can always claim it was a typo...............

I think dual cans look better too but I am always on the path of performance.....power and weight even if it is a few ounces. OCD

Bike will go faster from a major weight drop than a minor HP gain. For example. Had a blue 07 busa. Had bolt on extensions,lowered,clutch mod,air shifter ,1 down front, 2 up rear,stock air box and filter,still had all emissions tubes on front of the motor. Had bone stock dual cans and header.... Made 4 passes 8th mile track. 6.15 @113 with that set up was the best. Same day at the track took off the cans and mid-pipes. So just straight header. That was the only change. Within 4 more passes was going 5.98 @118. This was from the weight reduction only.

On Gen I you saved like around 22lbs. How the heck can you gain 5mph from that little of weight loss? I would say some from HP gain, some from aerodynamics then the weight loss.

FYI - Stock header weighs 10lbs 10oz.

On Gen I you saved like around 22lbs. How the heck can you gain 5mph from that little of weight loss? I would say some from HP gain, some from aerodynamics then the weight loss.

FYI - Stock header weighs 10lbs 10oz.
All in the same day same bike just removed midpipes and cans
You'll go faster losing weight than gaining power. Lol unless it's an azzload of power.

Have to disagree on this one on my 08 I replaced the stock cans with a pair of yoshi RS-3 stainless steel duals yeah a bit old fashion styling maybe for this bike but i got them at a good price I noticed the difference in the low end power straight away much crisper and leaner power the sound of course is nice touch to I also replaced the stock air filter with a DNA at the same time so maybe it was a combination of both but defiantly feel the extra grunt :thumbsup:

Your not going to get 5mph gain in the qtr just from 20lb loss of weight. Just doesn't happen. More than likely about 1mph from the weight the rest from HP/TQ gain and aerodynamics.

Given the rule of thumb on a motorcycle 18-22lbs is about .10 and 1mph.

4-6hp = .10 and 1mph. Typically on a Gen I, a full aftermarket exhaust will net 10-14hp peak depending on the brand/model. You will hear that the header is where the HP is at but on the Gen I not as much in some cases. Good slip-ons usually net 5hp and no mufflers may net more or less depending on current tune and health of the engine.

Aerodynamics = Too many variables unless obvious to the eye and dual cans removed could show up some better top end.

so i too am curious...after a decent amount of research there really is nothing on anyone modding the stock cat...

Burn your leg on the stock cans a couple times, and you'll be beggin for a carbon fiber slip on....

:laugh:

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

Back