Best Rides Near Long Beach?

Getn off

Registered
Hey all.
I have a long overnight in Long Beach next month and was planning on renting a bike. I am not familiar with the area very much. Just the touristy type stuff and Palm Springs et al. I will probably rent either a Beamer R1200RT, or an HD Ultraglide. Just looking for a nice relaxing ride. Anyone point me in the right direction for a 6 hour (or so) round trip from the Long Beach airport area?
Better yet, I'll buy a few beers for anyone that wants to tag along. By tag along, I do mean play tour guide!
I get in about 1030am on Tues Dec 2nd and plan on riding most of the day. Keep it at the hotel in Long Beach and return it the next morning before I fly back out around 1pm.
Thanks for any insight.
Troy

Hey all .

I have a long overnight
in Long Beach next month
and was planning on
renting a bike .

I am not familiar with the area very much .

Just the touristy type stuff
and Palm Springs et al .

I will probably rent either
a Beamer R1200RT,
or an HD Ultraglide .

Just looking for a nice relaxing ride .

Anyone point me in the right direction for a 6 hour
(or so) round trip from the Long Beach airport area ?

Better yet,
I'll buy a few beers
for anyone that wants to tag along .

By tag along,
I do mean
play tour guide !

I get in about 1030 am on Tuesday Dec 2nd
and plan on riding most of the day .

Keep it at the hotel in Long Beach
and return it the next morning
before I fly back out around 1 pm .

Thanks for any insight .

Troy .

Good idea. Thought he was in the bay area though. He def would know pretty much all of CA I'm sure.
Ty,
Troy

US 1 to 74 then ?

What is it,
about 2 - 3 hour
ride to the Salton Sea
that way ?

Longer ?

Troy .

Please take into account that we have traffic ~ and you might want a piece of Julian Pie *

072314-2014-middleweight-sport-touring-shootout-ir3w7944-633x422.jpg

Well damn. Didn't account for pie.
Gonna have to shoot me the addy of that place! Or....I guess I could just google it! Who am i kidding. I am gonna get an awesome youtube vid of it! Lol
Thx!
Troy

Well damn .

Didn't account for pie .

Gonna have to shoot me the address of that place !

Or . . . .

I guess I could just google it !

Who am I kidding .

I am gonna get an awesome YouTube video of it !

Laugh out loud

Thanks !

Troy .

Not to sound like a total self centered douch, but are the fires gonna screw up my ride Tuesday? Planning on heading SE from Long Beach to grab 74 East. It sounds like all of the fires are North and Northeast of my route. Anyone confirm?
Hope noone is too terribly close. Natural disasters are never any fun...I live in FL!
Troy

Not to sound like a total self centered douche,
but are the fires gonna screw up my ride Tuesday ?

Planning on heading SE from Long Beach to grab 74 East .

It sounds like all of the fires are North and Northeast of my route .

Anyone confirm ?

Hope no one is too terribly close .

Natural disasters are never any fun . . .

I live in Florida !

Troy .

Hate to see those fires, they devastated our northern bay region just a few weeks ago.

Complete!
Was a great day for a ride yesterday. I started my day in Philly actually. Flew about 6 hours to LAX, then our limo to Long Beach where we stay on LA overnights. Rented a HD Ultra Glide from Motoquest. Great people btw. Cost me a whopping $140 otd with all the extra CA insurance!
Started on the bike at 11am. Rode the PCH south to Dana Point. Briefly on the 5 to 74. Took that to Lake Elsinore and jumped on the 15S. 78 E to Julian. Had a slice at the Julian Pie Company. Heaven! I stopped a few short times, and was just riding easy (mixed with redunculous S CA traffic!) so it was about 4 when I was done with my pie. Decided to slowly head back to Long Beach from there.
Got back about 9 pm. Man that traffic! I thought I-4 in Orlando was hell. I have driven in Cally traffic many times, but never on a bike, I am actually changing my tune on lane splitting after this. U would go fn nuts daily on a bike in stop and go traffic that lasted hours. I still didn't partske as my ride was about the size of a Miata, and larger than a Smart Car!
Thanks for all of the ideas on where to ride guys. It made a nice trip.
Btw, never saw any smoke or fires....even flying in. On the arrival I could see a small amount of smoke well north, maybe North of the Van Neys basin? And the winds were from the east at altitude, but very weak.
Troy

Btw, if anyone was curious how the HD Ultra was... I actually liked it for what I was doing. A leisurly ride on the Interstates and back highways. I have an M109 at home and thought that was heavy. This thing feels like it has a couple hundred lbs on her at least. Uneasy in stop and go and parking lots. But, also due to its weight, it doesnt even flinch when semis go by. Comfortable riding position, but the oem seat was mearly ok. I guess there is no way I could have sat in my busa or 9's oem saddle for 8-9 hours without discomfort either. Brakes were pretty decent actually. I do not like all the trinkets on both grips. Many times I changed the stereo, or indicated I was changing lanes when trying to honk at the dumbass entering my lane! Just a new bike to me thing I'm sure!
And before anyone asks why I rented the massive beast instead of the Street glide, I have ridden those before and was left wanting more. Figured I would check this girl out this time.
Until next time!
Troy

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back