BEST mpg...

The big busa can deliver anywhere between really poor and surprisingly high gas mileage. To test it, I started this poll https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/107674-so-whats-your-highest.html I think the poll is still open for votes if you haven't already voted before.

What the poll and the posts in that thread show is that most folks get around 35 to 40 in everyday riding, with something of a bump way up on the high end of the scale achieved by light wristed folks doing touring.

If you really want to see what kind of mileage you can get, use the MPG function on your dash panel and pay attention while you ride. With a reset and a light touch, you can pretty quickly get some really high mileage, but even one serious use of throttle will gobble up gas fast enough to bring your average MPG way down.

So, to answer the op/Goatcart's original question, use that MPG setting on your instrument panel and you can quickly learn the best techniques to great gas mileage.

I don't get it !! Mine has always gotten no worse than 47 mpg's. Most of the time 50...
Thats even with a few WOT runs..... The best way i can verify this is going from my house to Lee Vining Ca .... Just a hair over 110 miles distance...and drop my jaw when it takes only 1.2 Gallons to fill it....Has a Power C II and a full Muzzy.... and never runs lean and the end of the can is always a nice medium brown color. Guess i'm Lucky with such a nice tune.

My best is 25 MPG about :laugh:

Obviously my bike is way out of tune, starting to fix that in the upcoming month....last season once I had her running I didn't care enough to sacrifice seat time for fuel mileage.

This thread proves to me though that I should get at least 35, I don't ride it hard or anything, no reason to plus the police would not appreciate me....

I keep track of my maintence/fuel on my Iphone(Gas cubby) I average 44.3. Mix of highway and around town. My personal best is 73(drafting behind our RV).

I have a 2004. I drive back and forth from north Loisiana to Pensacola, Fl (400 miles one way) once a month. I usually average 50 as long as I do not go over 75. The mid-grade fuel has the best consistancy. I have seen 56 doing 55 to 65 in Arkansas mountains. It seems to make no difference in the Rocky Mountains or Smoky Mountains as far as altitude. I have beetle bags loaded to the gills. I am sleeping on the tank most of the time.

average about 47-50 back and forth to work. on the trip to Reno last year at 8o-85 hit 63 on one tank, average was 57-59, love the Busa.

If ur looking to save gas just shift early.. I think I shift around 3k in that range from 1st to 3rd then maybe 4k-5k 4th-6th and average 45mpg when I'm making my short commute. Now when I go for fun rides I avg 25-40mpg. Just shift early, don't bog the engine down though, and keep rpm low.
Posted via Mobile Device

I currently own 4 bikes and owned 2 Ninja 250s before and the numbers in this thread mostly correspond with that I've seen with my suburban commute:
'03 1300 Busa ~34mpg
'02 1150 Blackbird ~35mpg
'99 800 VFR ~42mpg
'91 750 VFR ~45mpg
'89 1000 Hurricane ~30mpg
'07&'98 250 Ninja ~83mpg

My shift pattern when I am trying to save gas, I try to keep the rpms at or below 2000 rpm. My best is 53mpg interstate exit to exit no breaks. Around town its usually in the mid to low 40's. However, if you are up 3 in the rear your mpg will drop drastically and you are probably getting worse than you think if your speedo is not corrected for the gearing. Just count your teeth to make sure what you have, a Gen 1 rear sprocket is 40 teeth and a Gen 2 is 42 teeth.

I Usually get 28-32 when I ride solo or with friends.
Just recently got the GF a biek and I get 42-48 with her.
She saves me money 8) .

My 2001 Busa got 38 at best when it was new. I thought that sucked,........so a short while later,.........some datalogging and map adjusting,..........I now get 50 MPG regularly. My 96 Honda Civic HX gets 50 MPG at best. I'm not giving those "oil mongers" any more cash than I have to!!! :firing:

Back