Best Modifications for 2012 Hayabusa

berksenbay

Registered
Hey guys I just purchased a 2012 Hayabusa and have about $10K to spend on modifications. What is the best exhaust system for the Busa and what other mods should I spend money on?

Hi there berksenbay , welcome to the Org. and congrats on your choice of Busa !!
Firstly there are many ways to go for mods , you may want more a focused Busa , with lowered stance and drag race winning potential , or you may want a standard height do it all well bike , or you might want something a little lighter and even better handling , All will want some updates to front brakes . I might add , your 2012 is the same as the 2008 +Busa update , known as the Gen 2 . 2013 the Busa Gen 2 got ABS and overall better brake system . I will make recommendations for all round street enhanced handling and weight saving / power increasing , readily available exhaust .
Exhaust , you could go ultra light and good power gains , Brocks , CT series , either the full CT system 4-1 or the 4-2-1-2 Dual CT system , or CT Meg short system 4-1 , all are CT are titanium , all class leading lightness and good to excellent power . Add a PC5 , and get your ECU flashed .
Akrapovic , exhaust are also class leaders in BHP , and are a good weight saving , even in stainless . Either is a good choice . Perhaps more positive gains alround from this choice .
Secondly , I would be thinking seriously about wheels , and there is a number of good options the Org. has covered in detail... really you must decide if you want Magnesium , forged Aluminum , Carbon Fiber or lighter factory items ( namely R1 Yamaha ) , for your material choice , then check prices and brands packages to fit Gen 2 Busa . Wheels are not a urgent necessity , but will be a major package gain for the bikes unsprung weight , and combined with suspension can be the ultimate all road conquering handling mod , and generally enhance your Busa 's look . You can be looking at anything up to a huge chunk $ dissapearing with this purchase .
Suspension is always a good update especially if you enjoy your corners . Lots of companies make good rear shocks for Busa , Any you choose will have to be fitted with the correct spring for your weight , when you order / buy it . The forks can be fitted with a spring kit , or cartridge kit , again fitment to your weight . You could lash out on a entire fork set , but best value for $ is to get your stock fork kitted out .
Now your Busa's brakes lack feel out of the factory , the Tokico units will work okay however , but need a couple of thing done . Of note , most any 108mm spaced 4 piston aftermarket caliper should be able to fit up to stock forks , and the Busa 2013+ Brembo cast 1 piece ( M50 ??) for example . can be used and are good value new or second hand . The same explanation as below would also apply to the these units .
We will presume you are going to keep the original Tokico's , so , a new set of organic Kevlar pads can be an option (good on disc wear ) , or HH sintered pads for serious stopping and disc wear . ( Really discs are a part that wears out sooner or later and should be accepted as such ) . The brake lines will need to be replaced with some braided steel lines , and then the master cylinder pump will need replacing , and there are a couple of choices , either fitted up with hydraulic pressure switch or mechanical activated switch . The other option for brakes , is the entire brake system updated to some caliper / master cylinder pump package . There are a few choices , but this is generally expensive $ . All this is searchable on the Org. try searching tags of what you are interested in , do some research , plan your approach / attack and you will be rewarded with the right choices . In the meantime , you can acquaint yourself with your new to you Busa , do your checks and enjoy bro . Here is a couple of pics of my 2012 L2 Hayabusa

DSCF1315.JPG

DSCF1232.JPG

Welcome! As mentioned above you really need to be more specific about what your end goal is. Drag racing, LSR, Trackdays, Street racer, Tourer, Cruiser etc. The Busa can be made to do all of these rolls well with the right game-plan upfront. For me personally the first order of business was ergonomic mods. If your not comfortable on the bike your not going to ride it. Bar risers, seat, lowered footpegs, taller windshield etc. If your just after speed there are seemingly limitless possibilities here. Also as mentioned above all Hayabusa's can benefit greatly with Brake Upgrades. Even if you don't invest in aftermarket suspension, at least take some time to dial in the stock suspension, as it is fully adjustable (up to a point) to suit your needs. Springs are a common upgrade at both ends as a starting point.

The cost of a full exhaust system these days is pretty big in relation to the power gained. but the weight loss is another thing altogether. The stock system is a boat anchor in this regard. For the Gen 2 in particular there are a lot of options out there. Enjoy!

BTW the search button in the upper right corner is your friend. Loads of info on this site ripe for the picking.

Do the turbo man... its without a doubt the best mod for a hayabusa... it changes the whole ball game completely... after this mod, the bike truly feels like something special... after this itll outpull almost anything.... all other mods are secondary... and don't think all builds are the same... call frank right now... so that you don't have to call him again a year or so later.

Back