Best Method for Cleaning Wheels

Jaddie

Registered
Dear Friends

What's the best way to clean wheels? The wheels I need to clean are gold in color and belong to my '08 'Busa.

Yesterday I went on my first ride in fourteen years. It was only 154 miles, but it just about killed my butt, back, and right wrist. I went through the north Georgia mountains through Suches and the Richard B. Russell Scenic Highway.

Now my rear wheel has no shine and is covered with some sort of greasy gunk.

On Thursday I should receive a pair of swingarm spools and a Pit Bull forward-handle rear stand.

I'd really like to get my rear wheel back into showroom condition.

I recall cleaning my '88 Ninja 600's rear wheel. That one wheel probably took me forty-five minutes to an hour to clean. Surely there's an easier, faster way.

Also, if you happen to know of a good polish to spray on the bike after washing it, please let me know what to buy.

My new 'Busa's looks are really growing on me. It's one of the most beautiful motorcycles I've ever seen.

--Jaddie

WD-40
thumb_up.gif

Dear GMBusa & Donnie

What do you do? Just spray on the WD40 and wipe the wheels? What kind of rag do you use? Paper towels?

Then wax the wheels? Wow! That sounds like an hour or more of work.

Maybe I should see if my local auto detailer will do it. I'd pay US$20 to get my bike cleaned up after yesterday's ride.

--Jaddie

Put some WD-40 on a rag and wipe the wheels down with it, just be careful to stay off of the sidewalls and tread. I use Honda polish in the aresol can for cleaning the bike. Give yourself some time to get accustomed to riding again. You wont be as sore the more you ride.

I use WD40 for the worst stuff and then Simple Green for the finish. I sometimes use Plexus as a final polishing coat. Remember to lube the chain after your ride while its still warm and you'll have less (fling) from the chain lube. BTW, I use Maxima chain wax every 400+ miles or so, at the end of the day's riding.

It won't be this bad everytime, it is the crap off of the new chain...

Dear twotonevert & CBXRider

Thanks for responding.

How long does it take you to clean your 'Busas' wheels?

WD40, Windex, wax or polish. I think I'd be up to about an hour-and-a-half now.

--Jaddie

Thanks for responding.

--Jaddie
I dont wax my wheels because the WD-40 wont hurt them. The wax is meant to keep the dust from sticking to the wheels as bad. It takes me about 2 minutes on the rear stand to clean the rear wheel.

Thanks for responding.

--Jaddie
Maybe a half hour for both wheels, maybe shorter while on the stands. Paper towels work for the first wipe down so you won't ruin any towels.

Dear Jaddie,

I also use WD-40. Usually takes me about 5 minutes per wheel to get the gunk off. My wheels are black so I am not sure how clean it will leave your gold wheels, but it is a good start. I clean them everytime because they usually get grime on them after a good ride.

BlueHaya

Dear Jaddie,

ps...You can use the quote button under someone's response and reply to their message.
beerchug.gif

BlueHaya

New chains spew a bunch of crud onto the rear wheel and (I believe) the aero piece underneath adds to this grime buildup but I lube the chain every 400+ miles or so and I don't have to clean the wheels very often.

..ps do NOT use the Suzuki chain spray (black color in Blue can) very very messy. Go with Chain Wax

Jaddie - yep, what they said. The gunk you have is the Suzuki chain lube - it will fling off over everything! I, too, use WD-40 on a rag to clean the wheels. Also, use it on the bodywork to clean the grease off of it. Then I'll follow up on the body with Honda polish.
thumb_up.gif

I recommend either Maxima Chain Wax or Silkolene Chain lube. I've been using the Silkolene for about a year now and like it - it seems to fling less... (to me, anyway).

Back