Best grease cutter

WD-40 is actually kerosene in a spray can . Daniel that front sprocket on that old bike wasn't that bad. Changed my factory chain and sprockets last year at 32K miles and I had double the build up in that area. Big screw driver removed 95 % of it in chunks and then I hit it with a little WD - 40.

If you can find old school brake cleaner composed of Tetrachloroethylene, same fluid used for dry cleaning clothes, it cuts grease and tar like NOTHING else. I believe a lot of the newer EPA enviromently friendly brake cleaners have a much harsher solvent.

Here in Canada Tetrachloroethylene brake cleaner is readily available.

Tetrachloroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cheers
ken

I am type O for obsessive so WD or kero works great. In fact a good powerful wheel cleaner like Black Magic Titaneum usually gets it spotless with no oily residue.

I would never apply brake fluid to any painted surface. The wheel paint is prolly very tough but I don't want to test on my bike. I have seen what it will do to plastic. Spill waiting to happen. I cover the whole front of the bike when I change brake fluid.

I use simple green. Its biodegradable so the hippies love it and i can more freely let the run off out in the lawn. It does wonders on dirty stuff. Here's a trick for anyone that has a dirty engine...well on your car anyway. Get a bottle of lemon simple green. Spray off the chunky crap and then cover the engine with the simple green. Let it sit for a few mins, then spray off. You could do the dealership trick of then spraying down the engine with armor all to make it shiny :laugh:

One note, if you do that with a car make sure you get the lemon. The green version smells a bit strong through the vents :whistle:

I take mine to my Mechanic and let him clean it . I hear he uses gas !:laugh: 40k miles when this was taken

Picture1275.jpg

WD-40 is actually kerosene in a spray can

It's fish oil.....

Or so I thought!

As for the claim the "basic ingredient" in WD-40 is "fish oil," it's a common rumor and one that is easily propagated (because cans of WD-40 spray include no ingredients list), but a glance at the composition information included in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based, with the main ingredient being "solvent naptha, petroleum, medium aliphatic" (also known as Stoddard Solvent):
solvent naphtha petroleum, medium aliphatic, > 60%
petroleum base oil as paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent-dewaxed (severe), 15% to 25%
corrosion inhibitor unregulated, 1% to 10%
wetting agent unregulated, 1% to 10%
fragrance unregulated, 0% to 1%
carbon dioxide, 2% to 3%

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp#ukPHl5WE4KyDAfGD.99

Just so you know cigarettes only light gas in the movies. The ATF did test list year and was not able to get it to light. Now the static from your clothes when you touch your bike after spraying gas will cause a bad day.

I will use a small cup of gas or kerosene with a solvent brush when needed. I don't see the need to temp fate with the gas and spray bottle.

Of course like Golden Child said you can't use it in an inclosed area. Of course if you do Darwin's ghost will come pay you a visit.

I will have to try this mean green you speak of, thank you.

I use WD 40, Kerosene for the hard stuff and once in a while I use a spray foam engine degreaser and a plastic brush, what ever seems to work minus gas, jet fuel or depleted urainium. :laugh:

I found a good cleaner: (S-100) just spray it on wait 10-15 min and spray off with a water hose the grease and grime came right off
I was amassed get it at amazon , bike bandit
my rims are shinning and my swing arm just like new, this stuff us great

I use my wife's lysol kitchen cleaner, spray it on and let it set a couple minutes and wipes right off. It's the stuff in the yellow bottle.

In all seriousness this time. If all you are looking for is a "degreaser" then try Castrol Superclean. Although I think in recent years they have dropped the Castrol name. Flat out best degreaser I have ever used. However I would caution against using it on anything painted, nor would I get it anywhere near my chain. I actually mix this stuff up at around 8:1 with Water and run it through a garden sprayer as wheel cleaner for my car. Even as dilute as that, its powerful stuff.

Back