Best Election Tweet That I Think I Have Ever Seen!

Vabs: I own and lease farmland in South Dakota. Farmers are regularly in a no-win situation. They borrow heavily on equipment, seed, etc., betting heavily that when crop season comes around, they aren't devastated by weather, poor yields, high fuel prices - and low prices for their efforts. Many of them have everything they have in hoc for the entire year. These people work HARD and none of them have ever made themselves rich doing it. For example, this year: The yields were pretty good, but because of that the crop prices are low (simple supply/demand), and there is corn piled up on the GROUND because it's not worth selling - which sometimes encourages them to plant even MORE the next year in order to try and keep up. Given that, the world population is still growing and needs to be fed - and we have to land, skill, talent and resources to do it. I don't believe heavily in subsidies, however, we DO need SOME vehicle to soften the wide up/down swings so that there are actually people out there to grow our food when we need it.

Lastly, in full disclosure, I DO receive SOME federal subsidies myself - I planted trees and am paid to keep some land OUT of farming for conservation purposes - but I had to pay for the trees UP FRONT, and the gov't reimburses me over a 6-year period for that cost. Did I get rich over it? Heck no.

Our "food supply" is such an incredibly loaded topic,

I honestly wouldn't know where to start with my rant, or did I? :mad:[/QUOTE

You did know where to start .... and I couldn't agree more with your entire post ... My respect level has also gone way up for A LOT of you folks... glad I found this forum]

Vabs: I own and lease farmland in South Dakota. Farmers are regularly in a no-win situation. They borrow heavily on equipment, seed, etc., betting heavily that when crop season comes around, they aren't devastated by weather, poor yields, high fuel prices - and low prices for their efforts. Many of them have everything they have in hoc for the entire year. These people work HARD and none of them have ever made themselves rich doing it. For example, this year: The yields were pretty good, but because of that the crop prices are low (simple supply/demand), and there is corn piled up on the GROUND because it's not worth selling - which sometimes encourages them to plant even MORE the next year in order to try and keep up. Given that, the world population is still growing and needs to be fed - and we have to land, skill, talent and resources to do it. I don't believe heavily in subsidies, however, we DO need SOME vehicle to soften the wide up/down swings so that there are actually people out there to grow our food when we need it.

Lastly, in full disclosure, I DO receive SOME federal subsidies myself - I planted trees and am paid to keep some land OUT of farming for conservation purposes - but I had to pay for the trees UP FRONT, and the gov't reimburses me over a 6-year period for that cost. Did I get rich over it? Heck no.
You are so right about all this. The company I work for is barely bringing money in by selling fertilizer. The only reason we (company) are doing a little better is because we can produce ridiculous amount of fertilizer and we can Offset the low prices by selling large volume of product. Sometimes I wonder how long it will be before operating costs, EPA regulations and economy in general, becomes too much to handle. It's just too many people to feed. I have close friends who are vegan and when we talk about food, my question to them is always the same: if we all went vegan, where would we grow all this produce to feed everyone? Maybe I'm just too uneducated/ignorant about the topic to see the big picture.

Last edited:
A man is judged by his deeds
rather than his words . . .

Trump in all his possible good
has said some stuff he
may come to regret .

Anyone who believes
you can change a persons
preference with electronic shock
is seriously confused . . .

:beerchug:
CoViD19 wheelie.jpeg

#DeCriminalizingWheelies ~ #StreetsAreYours2020 ~ #THEoRg *

Give it time... plea bargaining is in fashion right now... swimming upstream takes time as the pawns
wait for Soros types to send legal help.

Back