Best deals on a flat screen?

HDMI cables yeah, to actually see 120hz (just because your TV is on "120hz" does not mean you see it)

you need an HDMI that can transfer at I believe over 10.2mbps

HDMI cables yeah, to actually see 120hz (just because your TV is on "120hz" does not mean you see it)

you need an HDMI that can transfer at I believe over 10.2mbps

What is 120Hz?

Many new LCD HDTVs can display images at a 120Hz refresh rate. This simply means the frames from a standard 60Hz source are drawn twice as often, or the frames from 24Hz are displayed 5 times.

With special video processing techniques, such as Samsung's AutoMotion Plus and Sony's MotionFlow, 120Hz LCDs can make motion appear smoother. This means the TV will take the incoming 24Hz or 60Hz signal and calculate new interpolated frames.

It's important to realize that this processing takes place entirely within the 120Hz television; there is no additional data passed along the video cable for 120Hz frame interpolation!

Why are some cables advertised as 120Hz-capable?

Unfortunately, this is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Motion interpolation and 120Hz display are performed entirely within the TV. There is no need for a special source or cable.

There are currently no HDTVs that can accept a 120Hz signal, nor are there any sources with 120Hz content. A cable offering "120Hz" has no more benefit than any other cable.

Which cable should I get?

The bottom line is that any high-quality HDMI cable or component video cable will let you use the full potential of a 120Hz display. Don't let marketing buzzwords trick you into buying overpriced cables. :thumbsup:

Samsung 46" 1080P here and love it. I went to many stores and read alot prior to purchase. I was suprised as everywhere I went with all the many TV's lined up and on the same channel the SAMSUNG always was more vibriant and vivid! Go see for yourself.

Thanks for all the info guys! I was all set on a Samsung 1080 LCD. I went to Best Buy & Costco today, One guy said I wont notice any diff with the 60hz over the 120hz. Another Best Buy sales guy said they used to have a video of a water fall and the 60 was noticably poorer than the 120/240.

I like watching Moto GP and Surfing and other action sports... so Now they tell me Plasma is making a come back ( Sony to release new Plasma in March ) and plasma ops at 600hz and has brilliant bright colors ... SOooOOooOO Plas or LCD ? ???

Also, I like Costco for the fact that they allways double the manufactor warranty to 2 years for free on TV's and computers.

Last edited:
Personally I would go with a Panasonic plasma. The new Panny's this year are excellent and have a very good price to performance ratio.

Find the highest refresh rate and contrast ratio in the size and price you can afford period.

Thats true to an extent. But remember contrast ratio numbers listed in the specs are almost always inflated. I would read reviews to get real world numbers.

There is also other factors to consider such as how good is the quality of the processing. How is the up converting (for non HD broadcasts), how much noise is in the picture, how true are the color's, if you play games are there any lag? etc...

Some LCD's also suffer from back light bleeding, which would be noticeable in dark scenes. Some plasma's leave green phosphor trails that certain people may notice, DLP's that use color wheels can have rainbows.

Also look at how many HDMI ports it has on the back. How many will you need?

But in the end it just comes down to what looks good to YOU. Good luck!

Personally I would go with a Panasonic plasma. The new Panny's this year are excellent and have a very good price to performance ratio.

Yes, the Best Buy guy said the same. Panasonic bought out the plasma tech from Pioneer recently and they make their own Plasma screens I think ... ?

Here's what happened... Black Friday, Target has all kinds of deals but the best ones are "sold out" when I get there... :(

Best Buy was packed with people at 12 noon and they had been open since 3 a.m. ! However the price on a nice Samsung 46" LCD went up from a few days before $798 to $998. ???

It was about 12:30 when crossed the street to Sears and their "Early Bird" special on a Panasonic 42" 1080 Plaz was $649. But that ended at 11:00 a.m. I allmost walked because the said he thought it went back to $900, but I say "Check the price for me anyway... " It scans at $669 then he gives 10% off for using the Sears card ... :)

SO I got the Pani 42" 1080 Plaz for $603 :cheerleader: I couldnt find that model cheaper anywhere on the web.

I love it! Plasma seems to have a darker look but I set the brightness up quite a bit and it is great! Thanks for your help guyz! :thumbsup:

tcp42s1.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly i did a month of searching and debating on this. Final after reviews and days of hunting if you can get up 1200 bucks. go to us appliance. they have the new panasonic g15 for 1200 bucks!! its slimmer the g10. has verra and also comes with a free panasonic blu ray player. For a 50in plasma its rated number 1 every where i read. i was weary of getting a plasma. i have an 67in sony lcd and it was just to big so im changing to the g15.

Back