Best / cheapest smartphone to use

RedBusarider

Registered
I have an old flip phone, that all I use it for is talking.
It does NOT have a qwerty keyboard so texting is a pain in the....

My question is, what is the cheapest monthly bill for use with a smartphone and what are the cheapest
smartphones to purchase (as in free?) that are worth their weight to carry around?
Speaking of carrying I would prefer a clip so that I can carry it on my belt. I don't what to stick it in my pocket,
pants or shirt, as I keep keys etc. in my pants pockets and I know it would fall out of a shirt pocket (if the shirt even had a pocket)
when I bent over, just not my thing and wouldn't feel comfortable with the weight in a shirt pocket.
Have always used a clip on my belt so that is something I would want. Not sure how many smartphones are clip-able.

I have Verizon right now and can drop them and change to another carrier anytime. Which is something I may want to do anyways as
there is a dead zone when I visit my parents and in their apartment I can't get or make calls 90% of the time.
I pay about $46/month but only use about 30-100 minutes (no texts at all) a month of talk time out of 1000 minutes available with no additional charge.

I called Verizon and asked if I had a smartphone could I turn off the internet part of it and save some money and they said NO.
So they charge you even IF you DON'T use that part of the service. I could see them charging you IF you ever went online but if you never did .......

Does anyone have a Trac smartphone? I see their ads stating packages starting at $7/month. Do you get what you pay for? and are these worthless?

There was another company stating $40 Period. Unlimited talk/text/data......But is the phone $600?

I have a laptop and a Ipad and a computer so I just don't think I would be going online very often with a phone.
Maybe that would change - maybe not. I think it would be rare vs using the other devices I have. MAYBE using it as a hotspot? ???

I know that the batteries have really improved over the last few years as I was always afraid to put music on my phone
and listen to it thinking that the battery would wear down and then when I needed it to talk it would be almost dead.
I have a MP3 player if I want to listen to music or radio. I don't hear very much about smartphones having capacity - you know
like an Ipad comes with 16 or 32 or 64 or 128 GB - are smartphones that way for how much music you can put on them?
Or does everybody just listen to iheart radio or pandora or radio stations online etc?

So what am I after - (maybe something that doesn't exist) a smartphone that is clip-able that is either free or very low cost to purchase and
has a super low monthly bill as I'm tired of paying $46/month for (average of 30-100) minutes a month. I use my home phone the most (Vonage)
which is only $36 unlimited talk. Yes I know you have to pay for the portability of a phone and even though I don't use it a lot I wouldn't want to be without one.

Flip phones are stone age so thinking it's time to upgrade if I can find what I'm after. ???

So has anybody else been in my boat and found a way out? :laugh: If not, can you steer me in a good direction?

One other thing is, I know it's just marketing but I've seen an ad stating 10 lines for $100/month.
I want 1 line for $10 a month - same thing in my book - GREEDY phone companies.

I've been with AT&T for a while, maybe not the cheapest but the service is tops IMO. Have several friends who have Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile and they complain about dropping calls and not receiving signal in certain parts of their houses etc. Never had that problem @ least not where I live since I had switched 2 AT&T....:whistle:

A Lot of people don't like em because they don't offer unlimited data like some of the other companies. Well I prefer quality over quantity so it works 4me. I'm not a data hog and I don't sit around watching netflix movies on my phone or listening 2 Pandora everywhere I go. A little google, ESPN,Ebay and the Org of course :laugh: So if you don't use a lot of data then you might wanna look in2 them

So does no one have a better deal then what I posted above?

Did ever one have to pay for their phones or get them free?

Does anyone have a smartphone and use a clip on their belt?

Does anyone have a smartphone and use a clip on their belt?

I have a Samsung (SGH-T399) and bought a case/sleeve for it with a belt clip (not mine but pic below from the net shows the case/cover with clip

Best-Samsung-S4-Case-Dual-Layer-Holster-Case-Kick-Stand-Compatible-with-Samsung-Galaxy-S4.jpg

The best bang for the buck right now if you want Verizon is pagepluscellular.com. They resell VZW services. You can get a 2000 minute block of time for $80, and it doesn't expire for 1 year. That's 4 cents a minute calling. Combine that with the Boost Mobile Moto G phone (quad core cpu, no contract cost from BestBuy @ $80-100) is the best bang for the buck in terms of network and cost if you're an intermittent user. You would have to flash the phone for VZW service. There are guys selling the Moto G pre-flashed for $130 online if you're interested.

Since you're using 30-100 mins a month, that $80 would last you the entire year for exactly the same service you currently pay for.

Alternatively, T-mobile is scheduled to buy some 600 mhz channel at auction shortly, and should become a better carrier. Hopefully they continue their $30 unlimited data plan too.

Background: I have been a software developer for both AT&T and Verizon since 1998.

I had to leave tmobile and go with AT&T. Was dropping to many calls. Signal was weak at my house and I'm literally 5 miles from a tmobile store.

Tmobile store doesn't broadcast cell signal, so that doesn't mean anything.

What works against Tmobile is the fact that they had to lease higher frequency spectrum from Verizon; meaning the signal won't penetrate into buildings as well as AT&T and Verizon's do.

For the most part, Verizon is the superior carrier in the United States. It's not a universal rule though, since it's determined by where the towers are and your specific location may vary due to distances from them.

Back