Best chain clean & lube video i've seen

piratediverjefff

Registered
...and gonna order one of those Chain Ninja gizmos,looks pretty slick.:laugh:

(why in the hell when I try to post up the picture with the link I more often than not just get the link?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Dupont teflon chain saver and none of that gunk gets stuck on your chain. It is a dry lube....

Here is what the chain usually looks like on my bike, note how little black material is left on the sprocket.

IMG_0711.JPG

k2-_d72da967-c272-401d-8d1a-8fc2a6abffcb.v1.jpg

How is that dupont stuff above? Never heard of it. Does it lube enough? Anyone use it for several thousand miles and have any input? Thinking I like that clean look.
Troy

I will probably be flamed by most for my opinion. I NEVER clean an o-ring chain. I only use Dupont, as posted above.

Here is why:

An O-Ring chain has sealed pins and bushings, the lubricant stays in there for the life of the chain, provided the O-rings stay in tact. Dupont does a good job of ensuring that.
The roads have dust when we ride. Grinding paste (Silicon Carbide) is designed to remove and wear metal fast. With any wet lubricant on the road, the dust and the lubricant becomes grinding paste in no time.
To clean a chain as demonstrated above, the most important area is in between the roller and the bushing, which is open and not sealed. Without removing the chain and thoroughly soaking it in an ultrasonic cleaning bath, it is impossible to clean this area. The cleaning process in the video actually moves and deposits grit (grinding paste) inside this area and in areas where the pins and bushing seals mate. This will accelerate chain wear, as well as damage the o-rings.

Personally, I cleaned my chain once only when the bike was brand new to get all the grease off. Never again, only Dupont. I am approaching 8,000 miles and my chain is still in factory specification. It has never needed adjustment.

On a different subject, I am a competitive cyclist. We use ultra narrow chains, light, low friction materials, no seals. To replace the rear cassette (gear set 11 cogs + titanium) is close to $500, so we measure chain stretch very carefully and replace the chains before any stretch can damage the cassette. A chain is around $60. I use the same treatment here as on the Busa, only Dupont. I get around 4,000 miles out of a chain. My old school racer buddies, who clean and oil their chains every weekend, get at most about 2,500 miles. But hey, they know better, so let them have at it.

i've been using the dupont teflon multipurpose spray for about 7 years now. it comes in a blue can at lowes for $4.50

since then they noticed the amount of bikers using it, and came out with a 'chain' version that costs twice the original blue did, and comes in a yellow can.

I will continue using the original blue.

How is that dupont stuff above? Never heard of it. Does it lube enough? Anyone use it for several thousand miles and have any input? Thinking I like that clean look.
Troy
Been using it over 5 years, works great, and wouldn't even try anything else.

Used it on my bike from when it was new. Never used water on my chain, only DuPont in the yellow can. Got 32k out of my first chain and sprockets and could have gone 40k with the front sprocket being the limfac.

Gonna head to Wallymart and grab a can tomorrow for my 600 mile service and get the chain cleaned and lubed with this. Thx. Sorry for the psuedo hijack!
Troy

If you google the dupont chain wax, the article I read at least said there is no different forumulation for the lube other than the color of the cans. It is not available at the Wal Mart here, but is available in Lowes stores. The last can I bought was about 4.50 and lasts a long time. Now with the chain ninja I ordered I expect a can to last at least twice as long.

Walmart didn't have it. Lowes didn't have it. Super Walmart did! All the reviews say you need to lube every 75-150 miles.....really? I am going to just do it as. I have with other stuff...400-500 miles. Hope it will be ok.
Thanks again.
Troy
...and I might get that applicator gizmo next!

Back