Best camera for riding?

Hauie

I was looking at the go pro hero 7, but wanted the opinions of board members here on the best cameras and mount for our bird.

I was looking at the go pro hero 7, but wanted the opinions of board members here on the best cameras and mount for our bird.
I have an old hero2 that took some decent videos, but I never liked the fact that it doesn’t have a screen to watch what you record right on the camera itself(newer ones have Bluetooth. I was going to buy a newer GoPro, but noticed the new sena 10c pro was coming out, so I preordered one and will see how the camera is on it. I like the fact that it’s a camera and Bluetooth in one and that it goes on the helmet, so I don’t have to worry about forgetting it when I switch from one bike to the other. I guess I’ll do a review on it once I get it.

Go Pro is awesome but the Garmin Vibe is nice too. It is very easy to add telemetry to your videos with the Vibe. Supposedly the Go Pro records this too (speed, direction, etc.) but I can't get the Go Pro app to pull this out of the video file. Both of these cameras eat massive power, so consider Bike power or at least a second battery you can charge while using the other. I also have not been too lucky getting the voice control working on the Hero 6 I have. When you call for it to be activated it takes a minute or so to get it rolling, so still shots are super difficult.

If you just want to video your ride for legal record, there are a number of good cams that run on a continuous roll. They are generally lower resolution but still usable. Older, cheaper Go Pro's are still good too. I generally use 2-3 cameras when I want good video and splice them together. I single POV can get boring pretty fast.

I have 5 Go Pros of various versions, a Vibe that stopped working when I smacked it on the road in a corner, and a couple other things of various manufacture. Now I rarely video my rides.

My choice was a Gitup action camera. Has most of the features of a GoPro for a fraction of the price. (can use any GoPro accessory) I knew I wouldn't record much, mainly track days. I didn't see the reason to invest too much into camera system I would only use a few times a year.

Gitup - 1.jpg

Back