Best brand of gasoline?

HRJR

Donating Member
Registered
I'm looking for opinions on the best brand of gasoline for the Busa. I know the same brand of gasoline may vary from station to station depending on the cleanliness of the tanks, honestly of the operator, etc. Any experiences you would like to share?

In particular, gas mileage, power, smoothness, etc.

(I'm not looking for "the cheapest brand" as an answer :laugh: )

I would always get whatever brand as long as it said unleaded and 89 on the pump and it was cheap. Never had any problems running unleaded cheap gas ???

I heard there's a refiner from a remote region with a special oil drilling/pumping facility that is so specialy awsome that the DOD has kept it completely hush hush because it just blows away what consumers get at the pumps. :rofl:

Sorry but this just reminded me that I need to buy more kitchen garbage bags... is there a best one to get? what's the best store to get it from? :poke:

j/k

stick with 89 octane unless you got your engine modified, higher octane robs HorsePower.

I just buy any name brand gas...in Florida everything has ethinol and it all sucks.

stick with 89 octane unless you got your engine modified, higher octane robs HorsePower.

I just buy any name brand gas...in Florida everything has ethinol and it all sucks.

Doh...I meant 87 octane...not 89 :banghead:

Why does higher octane rob horsepower

It doesn't. But if you get higher octane than needed, it doesn't completely combust and pretty much just gets blown out your pipes. I've heard that using higher than needed can also cause your parts to start gumming up with the unused fuel

As far as best gas, all gas is the same. It's the additives that the different stations have added that makes it different:beerchug:

Only Shell.
If it is good enough for Ferrari it is good enough for me.
(It really does have the most detergents to keep the innards clean)

You are right about gasoline being the same, it is the additives that make the difference. The best is Chevron or Texaco, because of the Techron additive. I've used it exclusively in all of my vehicles, and have never had to open up a carb or injector. Since I work at a Chevron refinery (30 years) I really looked into this. But in any case, the major gasolines are better than the cut rate. You should see what the storage tanks look like when not cleaned........:thumbsup:

I've always wondered if the additives are really that much different either. I had a Bronco that I ran almost exclusivly on cheap Arco gas. Everyone told me how ****ty it was and my engine was going to gum up etc. Never did , infact the thing ran so clean the smog shop would question the numbers, they were always so unbelievibly low.

It comes down to personal preference, It all has to meet min Gov. standards.

short answer is that 87 octane burns faster than 93 octane.

if you put high octane fuel in a low compression engine, you can lose power. if you put too low octane in the engine you get detonation and knocking inside your engine.

unless you run high compression and turbo/nitrous boost, you shouldn't need higher octane fuel.

Gen 1's run well with 87 octane but if it bothers you run the mid-grade (89?)

not sure of the Gen 2's since i don't have one.

Thanks for the responses. I have been using ExxonMobil because it is the most convenient (a station is very close to my house). If there was a brand of gas that was less likely to gum up my injectors I would try that brand. I do add Lucas injector cleaner on occasion.

I recently added a RCC stage I tuned to run on pump gas so I use 93 now (verses the 87 pre-turbo).

Shell tasted pretty good for the Busa. I used to run 89 with no problems. Of course, I used to put all sorts a crap in her: Valero, ARCO, some Jiffy mart stuff out near Big Bear.

No real gas to be found in Florida any longer. and my gas mileage to a hit from using corn.:whistle: But I always used 87 and I've never had a problem.

Back