Best braided steel brake lines.

newman

Registered
Right I've decided to get some of the above, can anybody give me advice on the best ones to get and if they are a problem to fit yourself, what does it entail.
Bikes going in for first service soon and I could get them done then, but don't mind doing them myself if it's not to much faffing about. Thanks Dave.

got mine from Cycle Brakes, they give a great deal on a group buy from time to time :beerchug:

I installed the Galfers my buddies and he loves them. I just ordered the complete kit from pashnit yesterday (F/R brake lines and clutch line), you get free shipping, free color upgrade and a set of semi metallic brake pads for free, pretty good deal.

Galfer.
They're as simple as unbolting the old and putting on the new. Be careful not to cross thread or over tighten them.
They also bleed quick and easy if you push the fluid up the lines from the calipers to the master cylinder. Then pump and hold the lever and open the bleeder(s).
If you try filling the master cylinder first and pumping the fluid(and lots of air)down to the calipers, you'll be there all day trying to get the air out.
A Mighty Vac brake bleeder works well to push the fluid through the bleeder screws and up the lines.
If you don't have one you can use a horse/cow syringe from any farm supply store:laugh: They really work, come without a needle, and are only a couple bucks. The hole diameter where a needle would be fitted is the same outside diameter as clear hose that fits over the bleeder. Suck up the fluid with the syringe, put the hose on, and push the fluid through the bleeder up to the master cylinder. One or two times per caliper will fill the lines completely and leave you very little air to have to bleed out.:beerchug:

EBC Extreme pro HH pads are a huge improvement over stock too. You'll definately notice the improvement and shorter stops.

If you want the bad Johnny set up, call Galfer and ask them to install the "Super Bike" fittings on a set for your busa. Will cost another ten bucks or so but well worth the time and effort if you really use your brakes.

If you are buying off the shelf, I don't think it matters which seller you use as I'm sure they all buy the braided line from the same manufacturer. As far as I know they all put banjo fittings on the caliper end where the Galfer Super Bike fittings add an advantage.

If you want the bad Johnny set up, call Galfer and ask them to install the "Super Bike" fittings on a set for your busa. Will cost another ten bucks or so but well worth the time and effort if you really use your brakes.

If you are buying off the shelf, I don't think it matters which seller you use as I'm sure they all buy the braided line from the same manufacturer. As far as I know they all put banjo fittings on the caliper end where the Galfer Super Bike fittings add an advantage.

What's the advantage Tuf? I've got ss lines now, but I'll be ordering them and the clutch in +3" length soon, as I want to convert to a dirtbike style bar.
I want to add a radial master cylinder and anything else that I may benefit from, so I'm interested in what you're talking about. Thanks.

What do u mean push the fluid through the bleeder screw and up the lines?

Galfer.
They're as simple as unbolting the old and putting on the new. Be careful not to cross thread or over tighten them.
They also bleed quick and easy if you push the fluid up the lines from the calipers to the master cylinder. Then pump and hold the lever and open the bleeder(s).
If you try filling the master cylinder first and pumping the fluid(and lots of air)down to the calipers, you'll be there all day trying to get the air out.
A Mighty Vac brake bleeder works well to push the fluid through the bleeder screws and up the lines.
If you don't have one you can use a horse/cow syringe from any farm supply store:laugh: They really work, come without a needle, and are only a couple bucks. The hole diameter where a needle would be fitted is the same outside diameter as clear hose that fits over the bleeder. Suck up the fluid with the syringe, put the hose on, and push the fluid through the bleeder up to the master cylinder. One or two times per caliper will fill the lines completely and leave you very little air to have to bleed out.:beerchug:

EBC Extreme pro HH pads are a huge improvement over stock too. You'll definately notice the improvement and shorter stops.
Posted via Mobile Device

What do u mean push the fluid through the bleeder screw and up the lines?

Posted via Mobile Device

Use a syringe, mighty vac, or some type of pump filled with brake fluid(anything that holds enough brake fluid to fill a line in one or two tries). Attach clear hose to whatever you're using, and the other end to the opened bleeder screw. Now push/pump the fluid down the hose into the opened bleeder screw, into the line, and all the way up to the open master cylinder. You'll get a little air then fluid bubbling in the bottom of the master cylinder. Now that line is completely filled with fluid and very little air. The air is then bled out normally by closing the bleeder screw and pumping the lever. Hold the lever and open the bleeder on the caliper. You'll see the air pockets in the fluid. The brake lines can be installed and bled very quickly this way.
If you just install the lines, fill the master cylinder, and begin pumping the lever and bleeding normally you'll be doing that a long time. Reason being, you're pumping fluid down and constantly refilling the master cylinder while you try to get the air out of the line.
I've done this many times and I assure you it works fast and well.:beerchug:
Make sense?

Use a syringe, mighty vac, or some type of pump filled with brake fluid(anything that holds enough brake fluid to fill a line in one or two tries). Attach clear hose to whatever you're using, and the other end to the opened bleeder screw. Now push/pump the fluid down the hose into the opened bleeder screw, into the line, and all the way up to the open master cylinder. You'll get a little air then fluid bubbling in the bottom of the master cylinder. Now that line is completely filled with fluid and very little air. The air is then bled out normally by closing the bleeder screw and pumping the lever. Hold the lever and open the bleeder on the caliper. You'll see the air pockets in the fluid. The brake lines can be installed and bled very quickly this way.
If you just install the lines, fill the master cylinder, and begin pumping the lever and bleeding normally you'll be doing that a long time. Reason being, you're pumping fluid down and constantly refilling the master cylinder while you try to get the air out of the line.
I've done this many times and I assure you it works fast and well.:beerchug:
Make sense?

This method works quite well as long as you use a pump with a rubber diaphram to seperate the air from the fluid. The mighty vac which uses direct air pressure will compress microscopic modules of air into the fluid and no amount of bleeding will remove them. This will cause lower boiling point and faster brake fading along with other issues like moisture etc.

The mighty vac works great as long as you use it to pull fluid instead of pushing it.

What's the advantage Tuf? I've got ss lines now, but I'll be ordering them and the clutch in +3" length soon, as I want to convert to a dirtbike style bar.
I want to add a radial master cylinder and anything else that I may benefit from, so I'm interested in what you're talking about. Thanks.

Galfer replaces the banjo fitting on the calipers with a sweeping 90 degree elbow (Super Bike Fitting) which applies the fluid directly into the pistons. Galfer is usually happy to make you a set with your requested length and add the super bike fittings. You can buy Super Bike braided lines off the shelf for your gixxer but apparently they get very few requests for these fittings from the busa crowd. However, Galfer will make you a custom set if you ask.

Galfer replaces the banjo fitting on the calipers with a sweeping 90 degree elbow (Super Bike Fitting) which applies the fluid directly into the pistons. Galfer is usually happy to make you a set with your requested length and add the super bike fittings. You can buy Super Bike braided lines off the shelf for your gixxer but apparently they get very few requests for these fittings from the busa crowd. However, Galfer will make you a custom set if you ask.

Gotcha, thanks:beerchug:

Back