Best Air shifter?

johnnycrash

Donating Member
Registered
Next on the list is an air shifter. Thinking either MPS or APE (uses MPS killbox). Any experiences with either - positive or otherwise?

Thanks

MPS. Any kit using an MPS box will be fine. I have a CO2 system, MPS box. Works great.
I'm sure someone will object to this next statement, but in my experience the Muzzy digikill is junk. Stay away from it.

Thanks for the reply Mr Brown.

I noticed the muzzy kit says it cuts the fuel instead of the ignition to kill during the shift - and since I'm eventually doing a 40 shot of NO2 then wouldn't that lean it out during the shift resulting in an exploding motor?

Hey I see you are in So IL! - I went to school down in Carbondale - best (ahem) 5 or 6 years of my life - lol!

In my experience that wasn't a problem with the digi kill, but in theory that's exactly what I thought would happen. It's a general PITA to install and set up, plus it only worked about 1/2 the time.....
I'm in Harrisburg, east of C'dale across Route 13. Carbondale can be fun can't it???!!!

MPS has this market cornered, they are the best in my opinion. Check out the autoshift box, you can set it just before redline so that you never hit the limiter.

Just a quick question for someone who might know;

Do drag-racers use different quick shifters than track racers?

(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 11 2006,10:02) Just a quick question for someone who might know;

Do drag-racers use different quick shifters than track racers?
I believe so. An air shifter uses compreesed air or gas to activate a ram, forcing the shift lever up or down, usually up. A control box also kills the engine at the exact same time allowing a safe shift. I'm pretty sure road race systems are all electric, no gas ram, and they can shift up and down......

I could have sworn I replied to this last night, must have been the
all_coholic.gif

I've been making Co2 air shift kits for about a year now, wiring harness, kill box etc.... If you get time, take a look here for more information www.cycle-tek.com
My kill box uses a printed circuit board I designed, no jumper wires making the connections, and my kill box does not throw the FI light commonly seen with others out there. There are many choices, all do about the same thing, but owning a few different brands myself over the years drove me to make something that's equal or better in quality for a lot less money. It's the details that count, do your homework and make an informed decision.
beerchug.gif

EF1300, You have developed a nice system there. Nice quality components involved and i can see the thought process behind what you've done. I also like the fact that you tell people not to test the system until it if fully operational and running. Nobody shared that little tidbit with me and my 1-2 shift is screwed up because of it. Now i have to eventually re-build and backcut the tranny gears 'cause it gets really frustrating hitting neutral!
Where was your Shift Kit a year ago!?!

Thanks Moose, that's very nice of you to say and I appreciate it.
I am sorry to hear about the trans, you've bent your shift forks for sure.
Trust me, I don't make enough money on my shift kits to cover my time spent assembling them, but I enjoy doing it and I take great pride knowing I'm actually providing an affordable performance upgrade to people that share the same passion. If you ever need anything drop me a line, unfortunately I can't help you with the trans, but anything else let me know. Thanks again!
Matt

Well ... I went with Extremefuns setup. I received it only a few days after ordering it - less than a week. It has all top notch components and is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than any equivalent system I found.

The directions are first rate, too. I will leave a final update once I get some time to do the install - MAYBE this weekend.

Also - Extreme answered all kinds of dumb question emails, all with lengthy responses that explained everything. He even helped me some on my nitrous wiring.

I would definitely recommend this setup to anyone that's going racing.
super.gif

beerchug.gif

Right on my friend! You never told me you were Johnnycrash
jump9.gif

Like I said, there are no stupid questions...but I've heard lots and lots of stupid answers
smile.gif
Besides, we both learned something thanks to you!

Keep in touch, and your CD will be on it's way shortly
cool.gif

To change over? You mean from a conventional air tank to Co2? All you really need, if that's what you want to do, is the on/off valve and regulator assembly along with the Co2 bottle. If you already have an air shifter with kill box etc... it's very very easy to switch to Co2.
I can supply everything you're looking for, but you'll have to tell me exactly what you've got and what you want to do, I'd be glad to give you a hand.

Matt

Hey EXTREMEFUN1300, I just got NOS added and want to do alittle drag racing what will I need from your kit and what will it cost me?

df.JPG

Hey frisbee

Unless you have any components of the air shifter kit, you'll need a complete kit
biggrin.gif

There is a picture and info on my systems in the group buy section.
Are you using the horn button for the spray or another type of activation switch?

No i'm useing the start button for the NOS . Goldenchild installed it for me and said I should leave the horn button for the shifter. So i do want to get a kit . I'll take a look at your kit as I prefer to do busness with members here on the board.

Very cool, Goldenchild is great to deal with.

If you need any help, regardless of what you decide to go with, don't hesitate to ask. I have dozens of systems out there and have received nothing but praise for the quality and cost, so please be sure you shop before you buy.

Matt

I Aways shop before I buy and Goldenchild is the ONLY guy that works on my bike ! It's good to have the info that we have here on the board and a great guy like Goldenchild that has gone above and beyond for board members.

Back